19 33.33%
  • Urijah Faber

35 61.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Glover Teixeira vs. Jon Jones

Default Glover Teixeira vs. Jon Jones

Dana White Declares Glover Teixeira Gets Next UFC Light Heavyweight Title Shot

Posted on September 4, 2013 by Ken Pishna

It only makes sense thatGlover Teixeira, following Wednesday night’s first-round finish of Ryan Bader at UFC Fight Night 28 in Brazil, would be granted the next shot at the UFClight heavyweight championship, and now it is a reality.

UFC executive Marshall Zelaznik announced at the post-fight press conference in Belo Horizonte that Teixeira is next in line.

“Dana confirmed it; Glover gets the next title shot,” said Zelaznik.

Teixeira has won 20 consecutive fights overall and his first five in the Octagon. He has recorded finishes in four of his five UFC victories, and three of those finishes came inside of the first round.

That doesn’t happen by accident, and it’s something that Teixeira believes plays in his favor should it be Jon Jones that he challenges for the belt.

“My dream is to get the belt. I believe Jon Jones will win (the fight with Alexander Gustafsson) and that’s my preference,” said Teixeira at the post-fight press conference. “Jon Jones has held the belt for a very long time.”

Teixeira went on to say that he believes that because of Jones’ skill set, whoever is going to defeat him has to do it with a knockout, and he believes he is the fighter that can do just that.

“I believe if I hit him, he will go down.”

No timeline was set for Teixeira’s title challenge.

Jones next puts his belt on the line against Gustafsson in the UFC 165 main event on Sept. 21 in Toronto.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-declares-glover-teixeira-gets-next-ufc-light-heavyweight-title-shot

MMAWeekly Regular xxxVALETUDOxxx's Avatar

I think Barnett can put an asswhoopin on butt scootin Werdum
    Proudly supporting: Equality, Work placement for all monetary handouts ,Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Welfare Drugtesting, Junior Dos Santos, Alessio Sakara, Blatant Video taping of all police arrests by the public to be put on youtube for all to see, Deep sea spear fishing, Edson Barboza, Bill Murray, Glover Texeria, Non-GMO, 100% organic produce , Chemtrail research and investigation, Boycotting Monsanto, Photography and Art programs in our school systems, Squirters

MMAWeekly Regular

Quote Originally Posted by xxxVALETUDOxxx View Post
    I think Barnett can put an asswhoopin on butt scootin Werdum
    I don't, I think Werdum gets the fight to the ground and subs him and people like you FINALLY say "ok MAYBE I was wrong about him" haha.

Werdum also hasnt butt scooted for a while and has knockouts and subs since then.

And as much as I like Glover and think he has a better shot than most and really COULD pull it off and will be rooting for him I have to admit Jones is the favorite.

I still say Glover has the best chance so far and if he connects hard Jones will go to sleep and I'll be ecstatic haha.

Some good fights on there...Had trouble picking a few of those.
    23-3 at Avatar/Sig/Self Ban

I'm surprised by all of you picking Faber over McDonald. That fight would be crazy, but McDonald is a prodigy. He gets better every time out. Did you not all watch his last fight out against Pickett. McDonald dominated a solid fighter. Urijah is good, always has been, but I'm convinced that McDonald beats every one at 135 besides Barao. He might even give him problems when they inevitably rematch down the line.

Werdum beats Barnett also. Werdum can finally stand decently. A well rounded Werdum is one dangerous fighter. His ground game has always been top notch, but now his opponents have to do more than just avoid his ground game. Having decent standup also makes it easier for him to get fights on the ground because he can mix it up. I think Werdum rocks Barnett and eventually subs him.

Jones will beat Glover because Jon Jones is Jon Jones, and he beats people.

Sonnen vs Rashad is tough. I'd take Rashad based on having better standup and being able to keep it on the feet with his wrestling pedigree.

Frankie is my favorite fighter. Unfortunately, I think Mendes knocks him out. Chad is wrecking people right now. He might even beat Aldo. Edgar could avoid the big shot for 3 rounds and win a decision, but I just don't see it happening. He doesn't have the power to finish Mendes either. I'd like to see Aldo fight Lamas next and then fight the winner of Mendes vs Edgar.
    "Grace must find expression in life, otherwise it is not grace."
    -Karl Barth

Jones will destroy Glover sorry Toehold.

MMAWeekly Elite mattydeathmetal's Avatar

Glover, Barnett, Sonnen, Mendes, Faber

MMAF Revival 4-2
    EFCF 2-1

Sonnen Evans is going to absolutely suck. Sonnen can pump this fight all he wants but this one screams bathroom break.

Glover is a good and would of most likely held gold if he would of made it to America a few years earlier. As well rounded as Glover is, the best fighter in the world reigns in his division. A lot of entertaining matchups for him but Jones won't be stopped anytime soon and will most likely break AS's win streak cementing his place as the greatest MMA fighter ever.

People really think Glover can beat Jones after getting rocked by Bader (who is an awful striker) 2 or 3 times? Jones is going to school Glover in every area and probably finish him in the second or third.
    Werdum via Sub..
    Rashad by decision. I think Rashad (as long as he shows up motivated) will outwrestle Sonnen all day.
    Chad Mendes via KO.
    Faber by sub. Faber will dominate everyone in his division outside of the champions.

+ Reply to Thread