+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Woman with shy bladder syndrome sues hospital

Default Woman with shy bladder syndrome sues hospital

Only in the USA. This is a fcking disability?? Sing to yourself as you take a piss and block out the noise, or play some tunes on your phone....but fck right off with a lawsuit.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/28...tcmp=obnetwork

DES MOINES, Iowa A woman who sought a job as an administrator at Iowa Methodist Medical Center is now suing the hospital, saying it failed to make accommodations for her shy bladder syndrome.
    Jennifer Conner, who graduated from Des Moines University in May 2012 with a master's degree in health care administration, applied for a job as an organ transplant financial coordinator with the hospital, the Des Moines Register reported. Her lawsuit says she was offered the job June 22, with the stipulation that she take and pass a drug test.
    Conner was diagnosed in her teens with the anxiety condition paruresis, or shy bladder syndrome, that leaves her unable to urinate in public restrooms or near other people.
    Conner's lawsuit says she has managed the condition by running water or flushing a toilet in public restrooms to help mask the sound of her urination.
    But when she reported to the hospital's designated facility for a drug test, she was put in a room with no running water and asked to provide a urine sample, according to her lawsuit. Nurses at the facility increased her anxiety by knocking on the door seeking her urine sample, she said.
    Conner's lawsuit says she asked the facility and Iowa Methodist officials to make other arrangements for her, including taking a blood-based drug test or using a catheter to extract urine, and offered to pay the cost of such accommodations. They refused. Iowa Methodist officials told her she had until the end of the day to produce a urine sample at the facility or she would be considered as having failed the test.
    Shy bladder syndrome is considered a disability under the federal Americans with Disabilities Act, said Tom Foley, Conner's attorney.
    A spokeswoman for UnityPoint, the health system that oversees Iowa Methodist, declined to comment to The Des Moines Register.
    Conner's lawsuit asks the court to issue an order to keep Iowa Methodist from discriminating against those with disabilities. She is also seeking an unspecified amount in damages, including those for lost wages and benefits, attorneys' fees, emotional distress and pain and suffering.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/28...#ixzz2S5J0lM92
    Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away. ~Elvis

MMAWeekly Regular xxxVALETUDOxxx's Avatar

Damn I should have thought of this back in the late 90's.
    Proudly supporting: Equality, Work placement for all monetary handouts ,Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Welfare Drugtesting, Junior Dos Santos, Alessio Sakara, Blatant Video taping of all police arrests by the public to be put on youtube for all to see, Deep sea spear fishing, Edson Barboza, Bill Murray, Glover Texeria, Non-GMO, 100% organic produce , Chemtrail research and investigation, Boycotting Monsanto, Photography and Art programs in our school systems, Squirters

Quote Originally Posted by ocmmafan View Post
    Conner's lawsuit says she asked the facility and Iowa Methodist officials to make other arrangements for her, including taking a blood-based drug test or using a catheter to extract urine, and offered to pay the cost of such accommodations. They refused
    This part matters to me as much as anything else.
    It sounds like a BS lawsuit, but if this turns out to be true, then the hospitals rules are fukced, and they should be forced to pay and change.
    Halbrust 2.0

MMAF Record since 7/7/14: 2-0
    Supporting Askren and Gustafsson since before everyone else was on their bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
    This part matters to me as much as anything else.
    It sounds like a BS lawsuit, but if this turns out to be true, then the hospitals rules are fukced, and they should be forced to pay and change.
    Totally disagree. Creating BS "disabilities" and then forcing people to accomodate them is a HUGE problem. Its expensive, intrusive and often ridiculous. There are people out there looking for ways to screw over businesses under the pretense of the ADA and its sickening. This is just the usual "victim" wanted something when they are not a victim at all.
    Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away. ~Elvis

The ADA...I see why it's there and I've always respected that, but what they've been doing lately is just plain wrong. Many smaller places have been sued and some put out of business because of that bullcrap.
    Proudly supporting: Equality, Work placement for all monetary handouts ,Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Welfare Drugtesting, Junior Dos Santos, Alessio Sakara, Blatant Video taping of all police arrests by the public to be put on youtube for all to see, Deep sea spear fishing, Edson Barboza, Bill Murray, Glover Texeria, Non-GMO, 100% organic produce , Chemtrail research and investigation, Boycotting Monsanto, Photography and Art programs in our school systems, Squirters

Quote Originally Posted by xxxVALETUDOxxx View Post
    The ADA...I see why it's there and I've always respected that, but what they've been doing lately is just plain wrong. Many smaller places have been sued and some put out of business because of that bullcrap.
    I work for the government so we make "reasonable accomodations" all the time. We tear down cubicles and redesign them for people with bad backs that need a certain posture. We put in ramps so people can use every entrance. We give people ergonomic everything if they claim they have carpel-tunnel. We hire wounded warriors to handle admin jobs and do a ton of ADA compliant restructuring to make work conditions suitable. I'm sure everyone agrees with most of that kind of stuff and its what the spirit of the ADA is about. But in 2013, where everyone can be diagnosed with a disability? The crap is out of control. We have a fat lady who claims to have fibermyalgia and she gets to take additional smoke breaks because a doctor said she needs to remain active. What does she do with her extra breaks? Walks her fat ass outside and smokes. I almosy wish every single employee would pull this crap so it makes a mockery of the system.

Like anything else, programs with good intentions get abused and the ADA is abused big time. Its a pet peeve of mine.

I'm no fan of the ADA in general.

I'm not sure that this is an especially egregious abuse.

The person has a recognized medical condition, which made it impossible for her to meet a specific requirement under specific circumstances. The person noted that, and offered alternative circumstances at her own cost, that would have allowed the function of the requirement to be met. No harm or loss would have been placed on the employer.

The only objection seems to be with classifying shy bladder as a disability covered under the ADA.

Under ADA, an individual with a disability is a person who: (1) has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; OR (2) has a record of such an impairment; OR (3) is regarded as having such an impairment.

She has such an impairment. She physically could not pee in the cup, and that inability will keep her from working despite her qualifications.

The hospital should have allowed her to take a blood screening instead.
    A Black Belt is just a White Belt who didn't quit.

Quote Originally Posted by ocmmafan View Post
    I work for the government so we make "reasonable accomodations" all the time. We tear down cubicles and redesign them for people with bad backs that need a certain posture. We put in ramps so people can use every entrance. We give people ergonomic everything if they claim they have carpel-tunnel. We hire wounded warriors to handle admin jobs and do a ton of ADA compliant restructuring to make work conditions suitable. I'm sure everyone agrees with most of that kind of stuff and its what the spirit of the ADA is about. But in 2013, where everyone can be diagnosed with a disability? The crap is out of control. We have a fat lady who claims to have fibermyalgia and she gets to take additional smoke breaks because a doctor said she needs to remain active. What does she do with her extra breaks? Walks her fat ass outside and smokes. I almosy wish every single employee would pull this crap so it makes a mockery of the system.

Like anything else, programs with good intentions get abused and the ADA is abused big time. Its a pet peeve of mine.
    The problem is that you get these ****head lawyers that use it as a grab cash quick scam and it winds up shutting a lot of good people down. There are some buildings that are old as **** that dont' have and can't have disabled access, period.

I agree, I wish every single employee would take advantage of it. I'll tell you what, if I find a way, I will. I'm tired of playing the good guy role.

I have extremely charismatic social bladder syndrome; can I legally piss in the street? After all, it's a disability and I just can't help it.
    2014 Weekly NFL Survivor Champion

Have you tried life in HiFi yet?
    http://www.lifeinhifi.com

i have to pee now....

STILL...100% Pure Hellbilly.
    American outlaw, since birth, till death.
    king of the derelicts
    i am honkey kong
    Abortion Inc.

+ Reply to Thread