+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider

Default Tomb Raider

Have to say, I'm pretty shocked at how great the reviews are for this. Didn't expect anything good from it, but supposedly it's pretty similar to Uncharted, only with a darker story and more violent. Pretty gruesome in fact

Anyone playing it? I plan on picking it up tomorrow, along with Crysis 3

MMAWeekly Regular xxxVALETUDOxxx's Avatar

I remember beating the first one. Haven't had time for games lately, kind of over them for now.

But in the future I will definitely be picking this up.
    Proudly supporting: Equality, Work placement for all monetary handouts ,Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Welfare Drugtesting, Junior Dos Santos, Alessio Sakara, Blatant Video taping of all police arrests by the public to be put on youtube for all to see, Deep sea spear fishing, Edson Barboza, Bill Murray, Glover Texeria, Non-GMO, 100% organic produce , Chemtrail research and investigation, Boycotting Monsanto, Photography and Art programs in our school systems, Squirters

Last edited by pickledpunk; 02-26-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxVALETUDOxxx View Post
    I remember beating the first one. Haven't had time for games lately, kind of over them for now.

But in the future I will definitely be picking this up.
    i had the 1st 4 tomb raiders. I felt like a retard. never finished all of them. LOL!

i have tomb raider game installedon my pc that i never play.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

Woops. The game comes out NEXT week

I assumed it came out this tuesday, based on all the reviews coming out. Pretty rare for a game to be reviewed so early, nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by PatSox View Post
    Woops. The game comes out NEXT week

I assumed it came out this tuesday, based on all the reviews coming out. Pretty rare for a game to be reviewed so early, nowadays
    I think they knew they had a quality game and wanted to let the media get it early because there have been a lot of bad Tomb Raider games rescently.

My mid-way through the game, Review....

Through the first hour/hour and a half, I was impressed, but not totally sure about it, but once things really open up, man.....MAN. All the different things you can do; all the different things at your disposal; the system for upgrading your weapons and your own abilities. The enemy A.I. is very good; the puzzle solving parts are very smart; the controls are excellent; the graphics and sound are amazing. The girl who mo-capped and voiced Lara Croft did a great job as well

And yes, this game is pretty dark. Brutally violent and gruesome at times, but not so much for cheap shock, but more for emotional effect. Some of the quicktime events and cinematic sequences are really exciting. And the open world element is done pretty well. Yo ucan explore for salvage and hunt animals to gain XP to your hearts content. The salvage is used towards weapon upgrades and the XP is used towards upgrading Lara herself. There are camp fires that serve as save points and you can fast travel between them

They really went deep with this game. I mean as far as all the different gameplay devices they incorporate to get you from place to place or manipulate the envirnment to find things. Your bow can eventually shoot arrows with rope tied to them, so you can create makeshift ziplines. Later you can make flaming arrows that have more uses than just killing. In fact burning parts of the environment is a something you will have to do quite often, for different reasons.

And just take your simple climbing axe, for how thoughtful they were when they made this. You can of course climb certain rock walls with it, that whole dynamic is well done by the way. But you also use it to pry open doors and chests, turn pulley wheels, zip down lines and as a melee weapon.

The B button is a dodge move and eventually you can combine that with hitting Y to quickly scoop dirt off the ground and throw it in an enemies face to stun them. I thought that was clever enough, but I just upgraded that to where, now, instead of throwing dirt, I take one of my arrows and jam it in their knee.......which I'm pretty sure is a Skyrim related joke, but it's brutal and awesome. So many things in this game are awesome. And I think I'm only half way through it

So....So far, so friggin GOOD!!!

Last edited by PatSox; 03-06-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Final review

I only have to addend this to the above mid-way review...the 2nd half is just as great. Any game that hopes to win "Game Of The Year" honors from now until december is going to have a HARD time beating this one

9.5 / 10

I was thinking about trading in Dead Space to buy this one, I tried to get into Dead Space but I'm starting to think I'm growing tired of 1st person shooters and need a break from them. I may pick this up, does it have multiplayer?

+ Reply to Thread