+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MMA possibly soon to be legal in NY??

MMAWeekly Regular

Default MMA possibly soon to be legal in NY??

I'm buzzed off a few beers and tired as **** after Muay thai tonight so I didn't read the article fully to understand the nuances, but my instructor posted this on facebook and seemed excited.

As a New Yorker, I really hope that this might finally mean that MMA might be legal in NY soon, but again, I'm not holding my breath till I see it happen:

"Judge determines pro MMA legal in New York State, if sanctioned
    Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on google Share on email

Managing editor at Rebellion Media and best-selling author Jim Genia is reporting that MMA in New York State may finally be happening.

Via Twitter.

jim genia ‏@jim_genia

Heading to the court to hear Zuffa vs. NYS oral arguments. Practicing my best Al Pacino "YOU ARE OUT OF ORDER!" chant.

BREAKING: In 2 weeks the UFC will likely be able to hold events in NY. Judge in Zuffa vs. NYS case pushing parties to settle.

Attorneys for Zuffa and State Att'y General office agree that loophole in law banning pro MMA in NY allows for 3rd-party sanctioning.

Spoke to UFC att'y Tim Bellamy. He said they'd rather wait for the law to be repealed, but if 3rd-party sanctioning is only option that's ok

Props to @DarceSideRadio, who violated federal law and smuggled a voice recorder into the courtroom, and now has audio from today.

@arielhelwani Zuffa vs. NYS court proceedings today ended in a big win for the UFC. Now they can do their November show at MSG.

@arielhelwani The law banning the sport would still stand, so the NYSAC would still have no authority.

@arielhelwani As per Zuffa in-house counsel Tim Bellamy, they'd rather have ban repealed, but if this is all they've got, they'll take it.

@arielhelwani Bellamy actually said they want to wait and see what happens with this legislative session first.

Some additional points: The only 3rd party sanctioning bodies that can do MMA in NY are the ones written into the 1997 law and of those only WKA has any kind of track record of sanctioning shows (kickboxing) in NYS. Would WKA want to sanction MMA here?

Follow Jim Genia on Twitter...

Genia also wrote up the story for FightLine.com, excerpts of which appear below.

Zuffa scored a big win in their lawsuit against New York today, paving the way for the organization to legally hold a UFC event in the state almost immediately and regardless of whether or not the ban on professional mixed martial arts is lifted by the legislature.

In what was supposed to be a day of oral arguments pertaining to the State Attorney General's most recent motion to dismiss, attorney John M. Schwartz representing the Attorney General's office acknowledged unequivocally that the law prohibiting pro MMA did not apply to amateur versions of the sport, and that as per the statute, a pre-approved third-party sanctioning body could oversee MMA events in the state. The admission of the latter prompted the counsel representing Zuffa's interests to say that if that were truly the case, then there'd be no further need to pursue the lawsuit which in turn prompted the presiding Judge Kimba Wood of the U.S District Court of the Southern District of New York to push both sides to immediately settle.

The door is now open for Zuffa or any other MMA promotion to circumvent the ban by utilizing one of the pre-approved sanctioning bodies enumerated in the statute. Those sanctioning bodies include the World Karate Association (since renamed the World Kickboxing Association, a.k.a. the "WKA"), the Professional Karate Association and the U.S. Judo Association, among others.

In addition, as long as the law remains on the books, the New York State Athletic Commission has no regulatory authority over MMA and would therefore have no oversight over such events.

"We'll take it," said UFC in-house counsel Timothy Bellamy, who was present at today's proceedings. "We'd rather have the state lift the ban and we go that route first, but we'll know in the next two months if that's going to happen." If it doesn't, said Bellamy, then the UFC would use the third-party-sanctioning option."

i'm buzzzed as fuck and dont feel like reading all that. . .

a brief synopsis maybe?
    "doesn't nothing ever last forever?"

fuck NY.

how's that for synopsis?
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by boboplata2.0 View Post
    fuck NY.

how's that for synopsis?

i didnt think they would fuck new york, but i'm glad that they did.
    "doesn't nothing ever last forever?"

Brief Synopsis

The state AG admitted that the law gives certain sanctioning bodies (World Kickboxing Association, USKA, US Judo and others) the authority to sanction professional MMA in NY. The state AC lacks such authority.

As such the UFC can go to one of these sanctioning bodies, and have them sanction an event in MSG. I imagine it will really be the UFC doing the normal sanctioning body activities (drug tests, medical screenings, etc) and the USKA or whoever will get a hefty fee and some promotion.

It's kind of a weird situation, I think at the end of the day what it does is compel the NY Assembly to act.
    A Black Belt is just a White Belt who didn't quit.

MMAWeekly Regular

Quote Originally Posted by boboplata2.0 View Post
    fuck NY.

how's that for synopsis?
    No, don't fvck NY, I live here and will stand by my state, the only thing I wont stand by is their ****ty decision not to legalize MMA, but if they do legalize it, then NEW YORK RULES.

Quote Originally Posted by Toehold View Post
    No, don't fvck NY, I live here and will stand by my state, the only thing I wont stand by is their ****ty decision not to legalize MMA, but if they do legalize it, then NEW YORK RULES.
    that's like having a retard in class who can't solve 2+2 & after 19 years he did now everyone wants to give him a hug.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Brief Synopsis

The state AG admitted that the law gives certain sanctioning bodies (World Kickboxing Association, USKA, US Judo and others) the authority to sanction professional MMA in NY. The state AC lacks such authority.

As such the UFC can go to one of these sanctioning bodies, and have them sanction an event in MSG. I imagine it will really be the UFC doing the normal sanctioning body activities (drug tests, medical screenings, etc) and the USKA or whoever will get a hefty fee and some promotion.

It's kind of a weird situation, I think at the end of the day what it does is compel the NY Assembly to act.
    Exactly. It might not force them to clear the way immediately, but if the wheels are being greased, and THEIR wheels aren't getting any of it, things will change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky Supafly View Post
    There's no need to go Fox News on this shit, you fucking dildo.
    Quote Originally Posted by d3murf View Post
    This is me vs you. One on Bum!

What has been NY's reason for not allowing MMA all this time?? To violent or what?? I wonder how many boxers have died in NY state over all these years??

STILL...100% Pure Hellbilly.
    American outlaw, since birth, till death.
    king of the derelicts
    i am honkey kong
    Abortion Inc.

They should deffo give NY a wide birth, if Toemold is anything to go by, nothing to see there.

+ Reply to Thread