+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chad Mendes meets Clay Guida at UFC on FOX 7

Default Chad Mendes meets Clay Guida at UFC on FOX 7

USA TODAY: Chad Mendes meets Clay Guida at UFC on FOX 7

by Dann Stupp on Feb 12, 2013 at 7:00 am ET
    (This story appeared in today's edition of USA TODAY.)

With officials unable to find a replacement for injured opponent Manny Gamburyan, Chad Mendes has been pulled from the Feb. 23 UFC 157 event altogether.

But the former title challenger is getting what is arguably a bigger fight when Mendes (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) meets fellow featherweight Clay Guida (30-13 MMA, 10-7 UFC) at UFC on FOX 7 on April 20, UFC President Dana White confirmed with USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Monday.

The event takes place at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. Mendes vs. Guida could be one of four fights featured on the network-televised main card, which follows prelims on FX and Facebook.

Since a failed title shot with champion Jose Aldo in early 2012, Mendes has posted back-to-back knockout wins over Cody McKenzie and Yaotzin Meza to put the division on notice. According to Mendes' manager, Mike Roberts, it's not surprising UFC officials couldn't find a replacement to keep him on the UFC 157 card.

"There's not a huge line of people that want to fight Chad, especially on two weeks' (notice)," he said. "But Chad is the best if not, the second best guy in that weight division, period. Chad's not going to turn anybody down. He believes he can beat anybody."

He'll get that opportunity against Guida, who has the same strengths (wrestling and cardio) as Mendes. The former lightweight recently made the drop to featherweight and suffered a split-decision loss to perennial contender Gray Maynard. However, the high-energy Guida rebounded in January and edged Hatsu Hioki via split decision.

In addition to Mendes vs. Guida, UFC on FOX 7 also features a previously announced headliner of lightweight champ Benson Henderson (18-2, 6-0) vs. Strikeforce import Gilbert Melendez (21-2, 0-0). Heavyweights Frank Mir (16-6, 14-6) and Daniel Cormier (11-0, 0-0) meet in the co-headliner.

The latest UFC on FOX 7 card includes:
    • Champ Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez - for lightweight title
    • Daniel Cormier vs. Frank Mir
    • Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thomson
    • Matt Brown vs. Dan Hardy
    • Clay Guida vs. Chad Mendes
    • Roger Bowling vs. Anthony Njokuani
    • Jorge Masvidal vs. Tim Means
    • Myles Jury vs. Ramsey Nijem
    • Clifford Starks vs. Yoel Romero
    • Norman Parke vs. Jon Tuck
    9 Time SBFL Champion
    2 Time MMAF Champion
    6 Time UFF Champion
    2011 UFF FOTY
    2011 Fantasy Fighting HOF Inductee
    @parsons99

Good fight, this card is looking monster.

easy win for mendes.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by ~ViSioN~ View Post
    fuuck clay guida, i do not care if i am fighter bashing, fuuck him
    my 1st reaction but clay seems like a really likeable guy.

i blame greg jackson.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

no he was super boring and lame before the jackson camp switch, He is the most boring fighter in the history of the ufc, i can't understand what fans see.
    i agree, his style is a combination of run and pray followed by hug and pray with a little lay and pray mixed in there with a strong concentration on avoiding hand, foot, knee, and elbow injuries by avoiding attempting hard strikes or GNP.

he has had some exciting fights, but only when his opponent hurts him. he does have heart and toughness, but the most boring strategy i have ever seen.

i really hope mendes will be able to lay him out early and land a big right hand. mendes should have the striking and wrestling advantages, but guida's horrible running style followed by hugs can frustrate anyone, like he did with maynard

no he was super boring and lame before the jackson camp switch, He is the most boring fighter in the history of the ufc, i can't understand what fans see.
    Agreed. He is borderline unwatchable.

Fucck Guida, I hope he gets knocked out. I can't stand his stupid useless bouncing.

I've always thought the same thing, only maybe not the most boring fighter ever. I never understood the FOTN awards he got. The Nate Diaz fight he dry humped Nate's leg for a good portion of the fight. The Huerta fight was good, but I didn't think it deserved the love it got - if anything it was Huerta's comeback to submit Guida that made that fight memorable. The Diego fight was good, but I'd give Diego a little more credit for that than Guida. I don't remember the Tyson Griffin fight that well, but I certainly don't remember being that impressed by it. But after those fights, people were saying Guida was one of the most exciting fighters around, and I thought just the opposite.
    "It's hell being a straight white man in America these days." 50% of the posters on this board.

Atleast now he can't lay and pray cuz he aint takin mendes down repeatedly if at all. Secondly all that stupid jumping around is gonna get him ko'd by Mendes

MMAWeekly Elite mattydeathmetal's Avatar

barring injuries, this card is fuking stacked.

holy sh1t.

MMAF Revival 4-2
    EFCF 2-1

+ Reply to Thread