+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick kids question

^^We only have the 2 bedrooms so she has to share with her little sister.

Changing that would only make the situation worse ie by bringing the baby back to our room...but I suppose its an idea, thanks. Might just be a backward step, she'll have to share eventually...

Friday today.

I've given up and given her my tablet PC and she's just lying in bed watching the Wiggles.

I'm playing with bubba

So my daughter (who is now 7) went through this although in a slightly different way - she self proclaimed around 3 years of age that her daytime nap wasn't happening anymore. She didn't throw fits or anything, but when you put her in her bed for her daytime nap, she would lay there until you went out and then would just get up and start playing with her toys. We fought it at first because there were a few days where she was kind of cranky, but soon after we just let her know that its ok if she doesn't take the nap, but will stay in her room for quiet time. As the nap was phased out she started going to bed at a normal time at night and to this day sleeps all the way through unless she is sick. Our boy on the other hand (he is now 6) still takes naps here and there and is the one who occasionally wakes up at night and rousts you out of bed for something or the other.

Now as for your situation I would start with the reward/take away system that seems like you are already doing. But if that fails altogether, maybe take the other kid out for treats and stuff and make it loudly proclaimed that it is because they are so good at going to bed when asked. Play one against the other in other words to still use the reward/take away system. I realize the other sbling in this case is 1 year old, but the idea can still be used. "Oh look (3 year old)....(1 year old) went to bed and is sleeping so we are rewarding that behaviour!" Now if you can't use that because the younger sibling is 1 and the 3 year old cannot associate the newborn with what I suggested, then the next step is to play the ignore game. Put her in bed and walk away while the screaming/fit throwing happens. Once it settles down, repeat the process. Don't acknowledge the behaviour you don't like and go over the top with the positive any time she does lay down (nap or bedtime) with how good she is.

Final note - that 2-3 year old range is just one phase after the other. Its really the first stage of children testing the boundries as they start to declare their independence. Fun times...
    The Underdog Challenge IX: Champion
    The Underdog Challenge X: Champion

This would never happen to Locogato. You're putting the......wait wha?

Quote Originally Posted by (v2)ROVPitViper View Post
    So my daughter (who is now 7) went through this although in a slightly different way - she self proclaimed around 3 years of age that her daytime nap wasn't happening anymore. She didn't throw fits or anything, but when you put her in her bed for her daytime nap, she would lay there until you went out and then would just get up and start playing with her toys. We fought it at first because there were a few days where she was kind of cranky, but soon after we just let her know that its ok if she doesn't take the nap, but will stay in her room for quiet time. As the nap was phased out she started going to bed at a normal time at night and to this day sleeps all the way through unless she is sick. Our boy on the other hand (he is now 6) still takes naps here and there and is the one who occasionally wakes up at night and rousts you out of bed for something or the other.

Now as for your situation I would start with the reward/take away system that seems like you are already doing. But if that fails altogether, maybe take the other kid out for treats and stuff and make it loudly proclaimed that it is because they are so good at going to bed when asked. Play one against the other in other words to still use the reward/take away system. I realize the other sbling in this case is 1 year old, but the idea can still be used. "Oh look (3 year old)....(1 year old) went to bed and is sleeping so we are rewarding that behaviour!" Now if you can't use that because the younger sibling is 1 and the 3 year old cannot associate the newborn with what I suggested, then the next step is to play the ignore game. Put her in bed and walk away while the screaming/fit throwing happens. Once it settles down, repeat the process. Don't acknowledge the behaviour you don't like and go over the top with the positive any time she does lay down (nap or bedtime) with how good she is.

Final note - that 2-3 year old range is just one phase after the other. Its really the first stage of children testing the boundries as they start to declare their independence. Fun times...
    Appreciate the input buddy. I know its one of those stages, but you can lose sight of that at the time.

Fun times indeed, but hard being a guy looking after 2 little girls. I feel like I'm a bit of a pioneer doing this 5 days a week instead of "working" in the conventional way of thinking

Waiting for news about night 2 of Slystone's baby-wont-go-to-sleep-gate

Quote Originally Posted by Premier View Post
    Waiting for news about night 2 of Slystone's baby-wont-go-to-sleep-gate
    And some say this place has gone downhill?!

I reckon he's resorted to beating!

Hey Oli, I been waiting for your post on the bag of chips thread. Waiting for you to put a picture of a whole potato or a french fry....

the angel in question.jpg

Night 2 then.

Have found that giving her my tablet pc with wiggles on keeps her quiet...unfortunately she popped her head out of her room at 9.30pm and went spastic when I tool it off her saying she really needed to go to sleep. Her and bubby slept until nearly 8am this morning, typically my damn body clock woke me up at 5.30am waiting for sh1t to go down. Had a nice couple of hours to myself.

So yesterday I let her go to sleep at lunchtime, but only for 30 minutes then I pulled them both out of bed (bubby had slept longer) and took them straight to a local park for an hour and a half. Today we did the same thing - being saturday we did a morning shop then wife took them out of the house while I rested after my acupuncture. For those of you who don't know my bottom vertabra (sp) has slipped 16mm and I have 3 bulging discs above that, making caring for young children rather painful too. Acupuncture and a little "pain relief" is helping manage it, but need to get it fixed up so that the "pain relief" doesn't become problematic.

Anyways, she just ate a massive sandwich for dinner - she usually eats nothing - and is going to have bath and go to sleep I hope/think. She's been in a relatively good mood this afternoon so am really hoping she's gonna crash. I daresay she'll need the pad with the wiggles for a little while, but if that keeps her quiet and allows bubby to go to sleep while she watches that, then I'll be happy.

As my corporate bosses used to say "the work we're doing is a movable feast" so will update you all tomorrow or later on. Got a feeling the wife wants to watch the bachelor tonight so I might give you a play-by-play

No gypsies, karate chops or smacks JUST yet...promethezine is tempting, legal over the counter here, but we tried that once ages ago and it sped her up instead of making her sleep. Apparently that's a one in ten, but I'm kinda glad it didn't work else we'd have been giving it to her regularly...

Dinner time - 4.15pm and I'm eating ****ing dinner. Amazing how things change....
    Last edited by slystone; 02-08-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Sly, some ladies were talking about this same topic at work today. Long story short, they agree this is just a phase that's going to be looked at with fondness years from now.

Yeah, I know man.

We're already looking back a an entire year of no sleep at night. Like none. We didn't get more than 2 hours straight for over a year with the new baby...and we're already laughing about it. It nearly broke us up it was so full on, but yeah, its funny in hindsight.

I REALLY appreciate everyone's posts. It reall y helps reinforce that it will pass.

So last night (7am here now) she was in our bed throwing a tantrum still at 10.30pm. Went spare every time we tried to move her. I was thinking of you guys then. She goes MENTAL when we try. But I've asked my wife if she'll run her around the block before dinner. That should sort her out.

Bottom line, I guess, is that we have the 2 most beautiful girls in the world - we're very lucky - and we love them more than anything. Unconditional love we get from them is reward enough.

Taking them to the beach for an early swim - we have a beautiful little harbour beach near us. Its high tide in 30 mins so getting the swimmers on and go for a swim
    http://greenwichbaths.com.au/index.php/about-us/gallery

+ Reply to Thread