+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem with my squat

Quote Originally Posted by ejones10 View Post
    On the dead lift: you need to get your feet more under the bar when you set up. the bar should be cutting your foot in half. Reach down and grab the bar, then bend knees until your shins touch the bar. push your chest out, take a deep breath and pull.

all this is from rippetoe by the way. he has a couple minute youtube video that shows him coaching the setup.
    That's usually how I set up, actually. I'm not sure what was going on in this video, but normally the bar doesn't leave contact with my body throughout the lift.

An update: I realized today that I wasn't actually flexing my abs tight when I squat. I would flex at the top, but on the way down I would relax. For some reason, I subconsciously thought that if I tightened my abs, I would pull myself over. Today I realized that was nonsense, and my form is 100% improved.

Quote Originally Posted by math is hard View Post
    An update: I realized today that I wasn't actually flexing my abs tight when I squat. I would flex at the top, but on the way down I would relax. For some reason, I subconsciously thought that if I tightened my abs, I would pull myself over. Today I realized that was nonsense, and my form is 100% improved.
    Pics or GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet3 View Post
    Pics or GTFO.
    Next time I have a workout partner, I'll take a video.

I got some new video shot this week. Gonna chop it up and then post it in a day or two. Try not to shjt yourselves, bros.

I wish I could do squats but my knees are ****ed from curling. They lock when I go down and I cant even do bodyweight squats with my hands pointed out in front of me anymore.

I have been doing clean and jerks though with the bar staring at my thighs (never put down on the floor to protect my knees).

Getting old sucks.

EDIT: one comment that Baph coudl reply to. WHen I used to do squats with a bunch of the guys from the CFL football team here who worked out at my old gym they told me to look up a bit (raise chin and find a point to look at) because it kept your back in proper alignment and helped you from leaning forward.
    Last edited by pickledpunk; 02-21-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pickledpunk View Post
    EDIT: one comment that Baph coudl reply to. WHen I used to do squats with a bunch of the guys from the CFL football team here who worked out at my old gym they told me to look up a bit (raise chin and find a point to look at) because it kept your back in proper alignment and helped you from leaning forward.
    That's a pretty common technique, particularly in the body building/powerlifting community, but I don't personally like it. Especially for the low-bar back squat, if you're looking up, your spinal alignment is automatically off as your torso is tilted forward in the squat. We want a neutral spine, and this is best achieved in the low bar squat by stairing at the ground about 7' in front of you. For the high bar olympic squat you'll want a more horizonatal gaze. The only time I would consider actively looking up is if an athlete was having problems with rounding their back in a front squat situation.

Alright, here are some videos from yesterday. Criticize away. I think I've fixed my midline problem a little, but I'm still having trouble staying tight at the bottom.

205#

225# (I just edited this one, so it might be sideways for now).

235#

And here's a bonus deadlift at 345#:

This is a LOT fucking better. I might ask you to squeeze the head and chest up a bit before you start the pull on the deadlift, but you do maintain a neutral spine so it looks ok to me. The squats are good. Back angle, depth, positions . . . it's all there. Just need to keep that locked-in as you progress in weight. Very good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet3 View Post
    This is a LOT fucking better. I might ask you to squeeze the head and chest up a bit before you start the pull on the deadlift, but you do maintain a neutral spine so it looks ok to me. The squats are good. Back angle, depth, positions . . . it's all there. Just need to keep that locked-in as you progress in weight. Very good stuff.
    Thanks for the feedback, Baph. Maybe some day I'll hit 315#.

+ Reply to Thread