+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy Couture signs contract with spikeTV/Bellator!

Default Randy Couture signs contract with spikeTV/Bellator!

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/1/29/39...r-spike-tv-mma

Sleeping with the enemy?
    Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture is taking his mixed martial arts (MMA) act on the road. First stop? Spike TV, where "The Natural" will debut as a coach on the upcoming Bellator MMA reality show.
    SI.com with the monumental announcement:
    Couture has signed into a multi-year deal with Spike TV, a property of Viacom, to appear in multiple projects for the cable channel, as well as other possible ventures within the media conglomerate's family of networks. As a part of the multi-faceted agreement, Couture's first role will be as a coach in the forthcoming Bellator MMA reality Series, which begins shooting in February and airs later this year.
    I guess when you have five billion in cash at your disposal you can afford nice things.
    Couture, who is no stranger to cashing checks from the competition, is one of the few remaining fighters who still retains control over his ancillary rights, which includes contractual language that allows him the freedom to use his likeness outside of UFC.
    Like when he made the cover of this recent video game.
    The timing is critical, as UFC and Bellator battle in court for the services of lightweightfree agent Eddie Alvarez. Couture may no longer be an active fighter, but is still considered a part of ZUFFA's Mount Rushmore, thanks to historic battles against fellow MMA icons like Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz. And now his appearance for Spike TV could help Bjorn Rebney in his quest to go mainstream.
    Affliction MMA, part deux?
    The cable television network has arranged for a media conference call next Tuesday (Feb. 5, 2013) where Viacom execs, along with "The Natural," will go into more detail surrounding this game-changing deal. ZUFFA reps, including UFC President Dana White, have yet to comment, but that will likely change sooner rather than later.
    Stay tuned!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuccin Randy...

Uncle Dana is going to hate this. I'd imagine there will be one hell of a smear campaign against Randy. Its a good thing hes already in the HOF because this would have killed his chances.

Thats why you dont sign your likeness over to Dana. Everyone else is locked in for life. Go Randy!!
    Fighter bashing vs not fighter bashing is like the difference between farting and dropping a silencer in a crowded elevator...

Looks like Randy wasn't last in line when they were passing out brains.

Which is one of the worst aspects of MMA. Personally displeasing Dana = hurts your HOF chances? That's beyond bogus. Signing a multi million, multi year deal = no brain because we've come to expect vendettas and tantrums from the brash brat at the helm of mainstream.

Multi-million? I seen multi-year contract. Not sure if Randy's grill, is worth mills.

And honestly you could've got someone with more character for cheap, no?

Edit.. No diss on Randy, but beneath those veneers

he's still the hum drum coach from TUF 1
    Last edited by purekane; 01-29-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    if everyone is fuccin dimes why the ugly bltches gettin' pregnant?

Makes sense for him. He gets a higher profile that just sitting behind the desk, for the occasional segment, on Fox. I am sure Viacom is promising him a future in the company with appearances on their various channels.

I also doubt we will see much venom come from the UFC on this. They will likely comment when asked and move on. They have so much going on right now, there really is not too much time to spend on this. Just like they have not said too much regarding Eddie and his situation. Dana has talked about it to reporters, but it is not a constant thing.

Will this be a game changer as the article states? Not too sure about that. It will certainly help their reality show get off the ground, but I don't see this as being something that takes Bellator to the next level. Time and talent will do that.

I am curious to see who else is a coach. Maybe Miletich or Bas? There really are not too many higher profile guys out there. No way they use Rampage, his two appearances on TUF were a train wreck and I doubt they can get a deal together in time for filming.

This would explain why Randy was not with Fox on Saturday.
    Last edited by lynchman; 01-29-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Probably cuz Viacom has got bigger lawyers.
    if everyone is fuccin dimes why the ugly bltches gettin' pregnant?

all this = pi$$ing Chrome Dome Dana off, so great move, with it being Randy, this will only anger Dana more.
    The Ultimate Fighter is crap, the new season even with Chael and Jones was as dull as rain cloud. Any reality series would be better than the UFCs same old churned out rubbish.

WAR Viacom and Bellator, King mo went a while ago, now Randy, who's next break out the durex...

I can see in 5 years when Bellator is going neck and neck with UFC ratings him mentioning this as the #1 most important moment in Bellator history. We've witnessed history today gentlemen.
    Fighter bashing vs not fighter bashing is like the difference between farting and dropping a silencer in a crowded elevator...

Bellator will never even come close to competing with the UFC so I don't see why this is a big deal. Don't get me wrong, good for Bellator.
    23-3 at Avatar/Sig/Self Ban

+ Reply to Thread