+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help: mma specific diet & exercise

Default help: mma specific diet & exercise

I'm looking for ppls opinions on the best diet & strength & conditioning for mma specifically, I'm training jiu jitsu/muay thai/wrestling/boxing every night at a couple different gyms here but I want to do my own thing in the morning alternating lifting & light cardio daily.. I'm 5'11 around 170 if that factors, so I'll be fighting at lw most likely, I'm pretty lean as is

also, right now I'm doing basic 5x5 ramping sets, don't watch my diet at all other than eating massive amounts of protein, but I'm not sure if 5x5 will translate to the fight game and my diet is awful, I just started expanding my training - branching out to gyms to help me so I can start competing again within the next couple months

I need a combination of explosiveness, strength, speed, power, and CONDITIONING being the main focus

lift.

your mma training should be the root of your cardio/conditioning.

eat clean. cheat day for your sanity.

lots of rest.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by boboplata2.0 View Post
    lift.

your mma training should be the root of your cardio/conditioning.

eat clean. cheat day for your sanity.

lots of rest.
    Holy crap you are a fountain of wisdom........

You want to do a starting strength type work-out or go more with complex, explosive movements like Oly lifts? Baph will tell you that the best carry-over to MMA would be Oly lifts, front squats, and I would add Plyometrics in for good measure.

If you want to do the Oly lifts, go with Baph's advice, he has given plenty in Oly lift thread. Your 5x5 is typically a strength and mass gainer although, it kind of depends on your diet and cardio. Anybody will tell you that you can't have everything at once. You can get more explosive and strong but typically you can't gain strength and mass without sacrificing some of your endurance. If you are looking to become more explosive, you can put in the Oly lifts, plyo, or PAP type method while still being able to maintain your cardio.

I suck sh!t at following a diet, I can't eat clean to save my life. Baph's "Eats" thread would be a good starter if you are looking to live the clean lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd1982 View Post
    Holy crap you are a fountain of wisdom........
    most of them have been discussed to the death.

i'm more like a reader's digest.

also ws, you should established aerobic base 1st before going full metal. baph hates it but burpees is a better alternative to running next to swimming. just be conscious with your posture or baph will hit you with giant discarded tractor wheel.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by boboplata2.0 View Post
    most of them have been discussed to the death.

i'm more like a reader's digest.

also ws, you should established aerobic base 1st before going full metal. baph hates it but burpees is a better alternative to running next to swimming. just be conscious with your posture or baph will hit you with giant discarded tractor wheel.
    MetCon biatches..

"The gods we worship write their names on our faces, be sure of that. And a person will worship something, have no doubt about that, either. One may think that tribute is paid in secret, in the dark recesses of his or her heart, but it is not. That which dominates imagination and thoughts will determine life and character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we are worshiping, for what we are worshiping we are becoming."
    -RALPH WALDO EMERSON

yeah thx for the input, I've been reading the "eats" thread and have checked a couple of Joe Rogan podcasts mentioned with supporters of this style of diet (paleo), it's new to me so I'm just getting the basics of it down, it's going to be an adjustment shopping but I'm committed, I considered just going borderline vegan and supplementing the majority of my protein through drinks but it seems a little extreme and I'm not even sure on the science there either

and basically whats been covered, my main problem is I want everything now, I'd like to kill it like 2-3 workouts a day but I know it's not realistic for recovery/performance purposes esp. while trying to clean up my diet as I ate like a horse running the 5x5s and it was all protein heavy, grain fed meats, lots of dairy, etc. which I'm guessing is counterproductive to the type of conditioning I'm going to need to get through a full fight

@bobo yeah that's what I was thinking about is the base cardio, I've never done light cardio, I'm more than willing to kill myself physically with anaerobic/fight training til I'm sick ya know, but I always neglected just that base cause I've only just recently read up on it being key BEFORE adding the more intense stuff sorta like plyos aren't useful until you develope a certain base of strength (from my understanding)

@conk bout to check those links in a sec here

+ Reply to Thread