+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 82

Thread: Eats

  1. #21
    Senior Member Floyd1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    5,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CatSmasher View Post
    Floyd, at once you acknowledge that inputs effect your outputs, but then dismiss a fairly developed argument.

    Paleo diet is not like eating like a cave man, who was probably constantly starving. Its about recognizing evolutionary functions of the body.

    Grains and Milk are awesome if you're a dirty peasant, or starving hunter, but for peeps who lift heavy, and have digestive issues with lactose (most peeps), or inflammation from hearty grains can adopt certain principles of Paleo diet to great success.
    What my argument is that some things like eating wheat bread or peanut butter is frowned upon b/c of insulin spikes and micro-inlfammation is not a reason to avoid the foods all together. The old adage of no food is bad food in moderation.

    Eating a snickers bar every once in a while isn't going to send your body ino a tailspin here you feel tired, depressed, and unmotivated. Drinking a soda a day or spaghetti isn't a big deal if you aren't eating a pound of it and kicking back a 6 pack. I know simple sugars aren't "good" for you but at the same time, it shouldn't be some taboo thing either.

    It is like the gun debate, you guys are calling for a ban of all guns b/c people take it to excess and I am saying the real problem is gluttony and laziness, not a coke and snickers bar on the weekend.
    Last edited by Floyd1982; 01-10-2013 at 07:26 AM.
    .............

  2. #22
    Senior Member Baphomet3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Twilight Grotto
    Posts
    9,508

    Default

    No, not at all . . . the issues is chronic inflammation and the deleterious effects of grain-based, high-sugar diets over months, years, and decades; not a snickers and a coke on your birthday. I had a coke this week. Granted, it was my first coke in a few months, but I'm not some amish nazi OCD zealot with an eating disorder. I just know I don't recover as well or perform as well when my diet slips, and that slips in the diet make future slips/cravings more likely and intense, and I've become accustomed to another path. But, treating the seratonin receptors in my brain to cheescake or a pot brownie on NYE isn't like some mortal fucking sin or something. I'm not in a figure pageant next month. I just want to be healthy, disease-free, and squat the goddamn world.

    One of the more interesting topics that arises in this discussion, though, is the role our government-subsidized industries play in the health problems and obesity epidemic in America. We actively fund the production of corn-fed beef and dairy as well as grains and cheap sugars with taxpayer dollars, build a food pyramid around it, pump it into schools, and then build up an entire pharmasutical industry with bypasses and statin drugs around the effects of living like that for 60 years (inflammed arteries clog with cholesterol - but cholesterol is NOT the problem dispite what they've been telling you for 30 years).
    Last edited by Baphomet3; 01-10-2013 at 09:50 AM.

  3. #23
    Senior Member jamesod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    6,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet3 View Post
    No, not at all . . . the issues is chronic inflammation and the deleterious effects of grain-based, high-sugar diets over months, years, and decades; not a snickers and a coke on your birthday. I had a coke this week. Granted, it was my first coke in a few months, but I'm not some amish nazi OCD zealot with an eating disorder. I just know I don't recover as well or perform as well when my diet slips, and that slips in the diet make future slips/cravings more likely and intense, and I've become accustomed to another path. But, treating the seratonin receptors in my brain to cheescake or a pot brownie on NYE isn't like some mortal fucking sin or something. I'm not in a figure pageant next month. I just want to be healthy, disease-free, and squat the goddamn world.

    One of the more interesting topics that arises in this discussion, though, is the role our government-subsidized industries play in the health problems and obesity epidemic in America. We actively fund the production of corn-fed beef and dairy as well as grains and cheap sugars with taxpayer dollars, build a food pyramid around it, pump it into schools, and then build up an entire pharmasutical industry with bypasses and statin drugs around the effects of living like that for 60 years (inflammed arteries clog with cholesterol - but cholesterol is NOT the problem dispite what they've been telling you for 30 years).
    Couldn't agree more. There's so little science supporting the "conventional wisdom" on diets (read Gary Traubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories" if you want a good challenge to the lack of any scientific foundation for what we've been told), but it takes decades to undo conventional wisdom especially in an area like diet where it's so expensive and difficult to do long-term, controlled studies.

    As to cholesterol, I read a good analogy recently where someone said "blaming cholesterol for blocked arteries is like blaming firemen for fires." Just because we find cholesterol at the site of a blocked artery does not mean the cholesterol caused the blocked artery.
    Send lawyers, guns, and money... the shit has hit the fan.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjn-VGXlEsU

  4. #24
    Senior Member Floyd1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    5,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet3 View Post
    treating the seratonin receptors in my brain to cheescake or a pot brownie on NYE isn't like some mortal fucking sin or something. I'm not in a figure pageant next month
    Sure you're not, diva.....

    So how do you vary your menu? I mean, what other breakfast foods do you eat outside of eggs, bacon, and sausage? How many different ways can you cook a chicken without using some type of marinade or sauce? What would you eat for snack food in between meals?
    .............

  5. #25
    Senior Member Floyd1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    5,504

    Default

    Being dick and downloading 8 Paleo books. A couple are cookbooks to give you ideas and the others are about performance. I will give this a true shot AFTER all my christmas candy is gone... By the start of february, I will have all my sh!t eaten and will start planning a diet plan.
    .............

  6. #26
    Senior Member Baphomet3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Twilight Grotto
    Posts
    9,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd1982 View Post
    Sure you're not, diva.....

    So how do you vary your menu? I mean, what other breakfast foods do you eat outside of eggs, bacon, and sausage? How many different ways can you cook a chicken without using some type of marinade or sauce? What would you eat for snack food in between meals?
    I'm doing breakfast again because I'm ramping-up caloric intake for a power lifting cycle.

    This week for breakfast:

    Deer Sausage, Pork Sausage
    Eggs, Mushrooms, Bell Peppers, Onion, Salsa, Avacado
    White Rice, Cilantro, Black Pepper
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon
    Ham, Turkey, Steak
    Grass-Fed Milk, Green Tea
    Blueberries, Strawberries, Blackberries, Cranberries, Raspberries, Bananna
    Greek Yogurt
    Smoothie
    Mixed Nuts
    Last edited by Baphomet3; 01-15-2013 at 09:59 AM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Floyd1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    5,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet3 View Post
    I'm doing breakfast again because I'm ramping-up caloric intake for a power lifting cycle.

    This week for breakfast:

    Deer Sausage, Pork Sausage
    Eggs, Mushrooms, Bell Peppers, Onion, Salsa, Avacado
    White Rice, Cilantro, Black Pepper
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon
    Ham, Turkey, Steak
    Grass-Fed Milk, Green Tea
    Blueberries, Strawberries, Blackberries, Cranberries, Raspberries, Bananna
    Smoothie
    Mixed Nuts
    You doing frozen fruit? How the hell do you find fresh **** this time of year?
    .............

  8. #28
    Senior Member Baphomet3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Twilight Grotto
    Posts
    9,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd1982 View Post
    You doing frozen fruit? How the hell do you find fresh **** this time of year?
    I suck a lot of dicks, Floyd1982; a LOT of dicks.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Floyd1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    5,504

    Default

    I'm sure you do.....

    So, what about drinks? Straight water gets old, how do you flavor your green tea? I'm gonna give this a go in a couple of weeks...
    .............

  10. #30
    Senior Member Baphomet3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Twilight Grotto
    Posts
    9,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd1982 View Post
    I'm sure you do.....

    So, what about drinks? Straight water gets old, how do you flavor your green tea? I'm gonna give this a go in a couple of weeks...
    Coffee
    Grass-fed milk
    Kill Cliff
    Propel
    Smoothie (add celery, baby spinach, tomato (juice?), berries (cran, blue), grass-fed whey (all pro science), honey, etc.)
    Black & Green-tea with lemon, lime, or orange slice or stevia or honey
    Water with a squirt of Mio Energy

    Real-deal orthodox paleo you'd only drink water, period, ever, end of story.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts