+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 76 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2013 NHL Discussion Thread

Damn shame about Erik Karlsson

Sens can't catch a break this year

Quote Originally Posted by PatSox View Post

No doubt...I couldn't even imagine the pain of getting your achilles sliced. Probably similar to the pain of being a Flames fan.
    23-3 at Avatar/Sig/Self Ban

Perfect way to end an abysmal losing streak- Beating the stupid Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by PatSox View Post

I loathe the Sens, but I do feel crappy for Karlsson, that's terrible injury to get and wouldn't wish that on anyone. Just the phrase "lacerated achilies" makes me squirm.

What's everyone's thoughts on the play? Intentional or Accidental? I'm shocked that given Cooke's history that he didn't at the very least get a hearing.

Persoanlly I think it was accidental but I could also see an argument for Cooke trying to slew foot him and then missing.

Purely accidental. Cooke was attempting to get leverage and push his knee between Karlsson's legs to pin him to the boards. Happens all of the time. This time just happened to cause a freak accident.

Quote Originally Posted by skiff_v2 View Post
    Persoanlly I think it was accidental but I could also see an argument for Cooke trying to slew foot him and then missing.

Even if this scenario was true, when has somebody ever been suspended for a slew foot?

Purely accidental and a freak accident. The NHL looks at the play first and forgets who is involved. They determine if it is suspension worthy first. If it is, they then look at the player involved and based on previous run ins will hand out a length of suspension.
    23-3 at Avatar/Sig/Self Ban

Quote Originally Posted by skiff_v2 View Post

Don't think his leg would be that high if he was intending to slew foot him. He was certainly trying to lift the stick and then press him into the boards, which is all perfectly normal, run of the mill hockey

Why his leg was up like that though is kind of a mystery. Perhaps they should treat a player skates like they do their sticks. Intentional or not, you're responsible for where it goes and what it hits

That's an interesting idea about treating skates like sticks, essentially your responsible at all times. I kind of like that.

Quote Originally Posted by airjasper View Post
    Even if this scenario was true, when has somebody ever been suspended for a slew foot?
    Sometimes the result of the incident determines if the incident gets looked at or not. I'm sure we've all seen intentional elbows get thrown but because the recipient doesn't show any injury it all ends right there. But on the flip side if you throw an elbow and cause a palyer to get a concussion, then that generally leads to suspension.

No one gets suspended over slew footing because it never really leads to injury but plent of times guys will sit for 2 or less for doing it. If it's penarlty worthy then it's obviosuly illegal and if it's illegal AND causes injury then it should be suspension worthy.

I saw it live, and have seen the replay a thousand times now, and there's no way it was anything but accidental. They showed a highlight on a local sports show that showed the same exact thing happening about a hundred different times in games, with the players leg going up like that, obviously without the injury tho. It seems to be far from uncommon.

Now as for Matt Cooke, he definitely has the reputation of a dirty player, and rightly so. But anyone who has followed the Pens over the course of this season and last knows that he has made probably the biggest change of anyone in the history of hockey, in terms of his play. "Dirty" Matt Cooke is a thing of the past. Hell, hes even played his way onto a line with Malkin and James Neal. But I do understand it takes more than a year to totally change your reputation.

As for the comments from the Sens GM/Owner or whoever it was, those were a bit much. Calling him a goon that shouldn't even be in the NHL? Really? When one of the biggest straight goons in the league plays on your team, in Neil. The cheap shot he put on Cooke followed by the 3 sucker punches to the head at the end of that game was just as bad as anything Cooke has done in his career.

James Neal is a Power-Play-Goal-Scoring machine. Racked up his league leading 9th of the season tonight.

+ Reply to Thread