+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyson Fury claims he'd smash UFC 'midget' Velasquez

MMAWeekly Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The idea that context is irrelevant, and thus it's a double standard for black pride/brown pride/Mexican pride to not have the same connotation as White Pride is foolish.

The current understanding of what people mean when they say White Pride is based entirely on how the term has been used for decades if not centuries. It was racist whites claiming racial superiority who turned the perception of White Pride, not the actions of any minority group.

It's like the swastika. Sure it was once a symbol of peace, but it was tainted, likely forever, by the Nazi party. Don't blame people for seeing it's most common meaning, rather than some alternate meaning you might apply to it.

That seems a very relevant comparison to me.

I actually had a friend who I knew was anti semetic, but I just tried never to bring it up and ignore the fact cause I liked him, but one time I remember him saying "you know, I should be able to sport a swastika if I want to, all it means is that I am proud of the fact that my cousins were Aryan Germans, not that they happend to be Nazis in WW2" (yet he also said he was proud of them despite what they did cause they were his relatives).

He actually said that shiit, and it was pretty hard for me to resist talking about what his relatives did to mine, but I managed to let it pass.

Same thing is true I think to a somewhat lesser extent with the Confederate Flag: you can argue all you want that the Confederacy and The Civil War weren't mainly about slavery and you will almost certainly be correct. However, it is one of the most common connotations it has and to many people's mind brings up thoughts of bigotry. In an ideal world maybe that wouldn't be the case, but you can't blame people for thinking about that shiit when they see it.

Now, I really don't understand how that is really all that different than expecting someone to not see the usual connotation in "white pride" when it's said??

It isn't like there is something wrong with "white pride" if that just means caucasion pride, but words (as well as symbols) have the meanings they do because of history and how they have been used for a certain period of time.

I guess you would call this discussion a mixture of sociology and linguistics:

Words and terms take on a meaning over time because they have been constantly used that way, so the popular conception of what they mean is what it is.

There isn't the same connotation wrapped up in black power or brown pride as in white power for obvious historical reasons.

So I don't see it as being a double standard because like it or not, if you sport a white power tattoo you know exactly what people are going to think.

Really, the question is this in regards to why Cerrone can't be in the UFC with a white power tattoo and Cain can be in the UFC with a brown Pride tattoo:

If anyone is asked, "do you think the average person will have more negative and racist connotations to the term 'white power' than 'brown pride' " anyone would answer "yes".

Double standard?

Maybe, but life is full of them.

Bottom line to the UFC is that they will lose money because people will freak out if they have a fighter sporting a white pride tattoo and they won't with a fighter sporting a brown pride tattoo.

We know the historical reasons this is the case, we can complain about them all we want, but these have the connotations that they have for very real reasons and to blame the UFC in this case would be stupid. If you want to blame someone, blame, I don't know, the KKK, white supremacists, a whole lot of people, but don't blame the UFC, they are simply looking out for their bottom line.

You can argue that it shouldn't be the case that society sees a "white pride" tattoo that way, and I'd agree that in an ideal world that would be true, but this isn't an ideal world.
    Last edited by Toehold; 01-08-2013 at 02:30 PM.

So it is better to just be overly PC when you are white then it is to where something about your heritage with pride while trying to re-educate numb-skulls about the history of our country? Got it....

I think people should be more open about talking about this issue rather then considering it taboo. The ignorant people are the people who throw out the "you're a racist" card as soon as the status quo is questioned. Instead, lets have a frank discussion about it. It was t just the south that had Jim Crow laws, the whole country is guilty of discriminating against blacks, why should the rebel flag get called out while Lincoln gets praised?

I fully support someone rocking the rebel flag and I'm not going to automatically assume them to be racist just like I won't automatically assume a [insert race here] pride tattoo means the person who wears it is racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd1982 View Post
    So it is better to just be overly PC when you are white then it is to where something about your heritage with pride while trying to re-educate numb-skulls about the history of our country? Got it....

I think people should be more open about talking about this issue rather then considering it taboo. The ignorant people are the people who throw out the "you're a racist" card as soon as the status quo is questioned. Instead, lets have a frank discussion about it. It was t just the south that had Jim Crow laws, the whole country is guilty of discriminating against blacks, why should the rebel flag get called out while Lincoln gets praised?

I fully support someone rocking the rebel flag and I'm not going to automatically assume them to be racist just like I won't automatically assume a [insert race here] pride tattoo means the person who wears it is racist.

^^^^ Racist.
    "It's hell being a straight white man in America these days." 50% of the posters on this board.

MMAWeekly Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd1982 View Post

I get what you are saying and no, I'm not saying it's better to be "overly PC", I'm saying, in reference to the Brown Pride/White Pride thing, that the UFC isn't crazy for wanting to follow their bottom line.

I don't really care all that much about the rebel flag thing, being a "yankee" I don't see it much around here so I bet if I was from the South and saw it a lot I'd realize that most people sporting it aren't bigots and it would bother me even less, which again, I don't really care all that much about it one way or another.

On the other hand, if I see someone with a Swastika tattoo do you expect me not to get offended or be at least a little bit taken aback when my relatives were killed by Nazis only 75 years ago??

That's a more extreme issue, but nevetheless, one could make the argument like my friend did that he was "just proud of his German history" and that's why he wore it and that he also was just trying to "re-educate" people, and I don't buy that for one second.

So the whole "PC thing" can definitely be taken too far, but the whole "I'm going to re-educate people" thing can also be taken too far, especially cause in some cases it's just not going to happen and you are only going to piss people off. So if that's what someone wants to do, then fine, but if they wear a swastika armband and expect people NOT to think they are racist and not for it to effect their employment with a company and who chooses to associate with them, then that's just plain naive and stupid.

As far as the UFC, I still don't blame them for wanting to protect their bottom line.
    Last edited by Toehold; 01-08-2013 at 03:10 PM.

This entire tattoo thing is hilarious. When asked about his tattoo Cain talks about his dad, his proud Mexican heritage (lol) and sports a Mexican flag when he walks in the ring. Cain's dad illegally snuck into this country (multiple times as he was repeatedly caught and sent back) to flee the ****-hole Cain now has so much pride for.

Brown Pride? More like Brown Shame. But a Brown Shame tattoo is still well ahead of the White Guilt tattoo a lot of you little nancy sheeple need.

Haha.. Poor Cain. Homeboys a model citizen, but he's a racist for having a tat

that means he's proud to be a Mexican. I guess a flag would've been

less offensive? I'm not a fan of tattoo's, but we know Cain for

beating every type a dude ..... from Kongo to Lesnar. And

guess what? They all get the same treatment.

Pull your skirts up ladies, your slips are showing.
    give me becky

Quote Originally Posted by Toehold View Post
    I get what you are saying and no, I'm not saying it's better to be "overly PC", I'm saying, in reference to the Brown Pride/White Pride thing, that the UFC isn't crazy for wanting to follow their bottom line.

I don't really care all that much about the rebel flag thing, being a "yankee" I don't see it much around here so I bet if I was from the South and saw it a lot I'd realize that most people sporting it aren't bigots and it would bother me even less, which again, I don't really care all that much about it one way or another.

On the other hand, if I see someone with a Swastika tattoo do you expect me not to get offended or be at least a little bit taken aback when my relatives were killed by Nazis only 75 years ago??

That's a more extreme issue, but nevetheless, one could make the argument like my friend did that he was "just proud of his German history" and that's why he wore it and that he also was just trying to "re-educate" people, and I don't buy that for one second.

So the whole "PC thing" can definitely be taken too far, but the whole "I'm going to re-educate people" thing can also be taken too far, especially cause in some cases it's just not going to happen and you are only going to piss people off. So if that's what someone wants to do, then fine, but if they wear a swastika armband and expect people NOT to think they are racist and not for it to effect their employment with a company and who chooses to associate with them, then that's just plain naive and stupid.

As far as the UFC, I still don't blame them for wanting to protect their bottom line.
    I'm not one that would rock a rebel flag but being from the south, I can definitely see it being a source of pride and it has nothing to do with slavery. I also think comparing the civil war to the nazi regime is a pretty sh!tty analogy when you start compare them. The nazi regime was wiping out an entire race while being the aggressors from the get-go. The south was trying to peacefully exit the union but it was a tyrranical president that forced the war at their doorstep. It was never about hating a race or holding a race down, that happened all over America and it wasnt' right. That is not even a close comparison....

I think somebody in the UFC should get a "Human Pride" tattoo across their chest. Then everybody can hug it out.

If Cain regrets it so much, can't he get it covered up? Maybe get "hash" tattooed infront of brown. Then nobody could be offended.
    23-3 at Avatar/Sig/Self Ban

Quote Originally Posted by airjasper View Post
    I think somebody in the UFC should get a "Human Pride" tattoo across their chest. Then everybody can hug it out.

If Cain regrets it so much, can't he get it covered up? Maybe get "hash" tattooed infront of brown. Then nobody could be offended.
    not everyone can be as classy as genki sudo.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The idea that context is irrelevant, and thus it's a double standard for black pride/brown pride/Mexican pride to not have the same connotation as White Pride is foolish.

The current understanding of what people mean when they say White Pride is based entirely on how the term has been used for decades if not centuries. It was racist whites claiming racial superiority who turned the perception of White Pride, not the actions of any minority group.

It's like the swastika. Sure it was once a symbol of peace, but it was tainted, likely forever, by the Nazi party. Don't blame people for seeing it's most common meaning, rather than some alternate meaning you might apply to it.
    It's foolish to define double standard the way it was meant to be defined? What we're talking about here is a double standard whether people want to accept that or not.

Putting context aside, the problem I have is not treating each person with such a tattoo as an individual, but rather as some collective family of the same ideas and beliefs.

So, the Caucasian may or may not be a racist for getting the tattoo, and the Mexican may or may not be a racist for getting the tattoo. How about getting to know them first. Maybe Dana (or at least some associate) should get to know the guy with a White Pride tattoo before concluding that he has no business being in his organization.
    MMAF: 41-31-3 (2X champ)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMSAYIN
    Can you read? Are you stupid? No.. youre just a big mouth chicken crap piece of crap
    ill take my vid cam to Orlando.. kick his ass. Then post it on my YouTube channel
    I will kick your door down.. kick your ass.. and then let your skank serve me eggs Benedict...in your facking bed
    You suck cock and you.know it. We all know it. The whole board has seen it goofs

^^^ Real Talk From A Real G

+ Reply to Thread