+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding Babylon

Default Rebuilding Babylon

A look back:

2012 was a pretty stellar year under the iron. Frankly, I can't think of any barbell-related activity I didn't PR and repeatedly PR on. I did four competitions and won three of them. I took my snatch PR from 113 to 126, and just missed 130. I took my CnJ PR from 132 to 143, and just missed the jerk at 150. I also hit squats and deads over 500 lbs, a front squat over 400 lbs, and a 100 kg press all without major injury. I can also say that I've never had a cleaner diet and I haven't been this flexible since JuCo. As a promoter of Heavy Athletics, I acquired the presidency of the Oklahoma LWC chapter of USA Weightlifting and helped put on three meets in my state and get many of our local athletes both involved in the sport as well as qualified for national competitions.

A look forward:

In 2013 I don't have any Earth-shattering revelation to unveil; I simply want more. I feel like I'm in that perfect moment of weightlessness right now; at the peak of the pull. I'm getting older, but I haven't lost much/any snap or power. With age I've gained tremendous wisdom into managing my training and crafting effective programming that addresses recovery, nutrition, mobility, injury prevention, and technical mastery all while being as challenging and intense as possible. The planets, so to speak, are aligning, and I'm primed for what may well be my last and most glorious run toward peak performance. This is it. I don't need to draw on any external source of motivation; the urgency is ticking, ticking, ticking like a clock on the wall from the instant my feet hit the floor in the morning. I know my time is now.

What's the plan?:

One full year of seasonal training for competitive heavy athletics. Power; Oly; Strongman/Highlander; Oly. 12 weeks per season with a week of down time between each. Every season culminates in a competitive event. Every season has unique programming and specific goals. Paleo + grass-fed dairy + organic white rice is the law of the land. There are no exceptions. There are no excuses. There is only stronger.

Specifics?:

The goal here is to log the journey season-by-season and to idenify, progress toward, and meet/exceed specific seasonal goals. Chief among these is the 136 kg/300 lb snatch. The purpose of this training log is to detail and examine this quest for my own purposes and, hopefully, for the edification and amusement of some of you all. Please, feel free to inquire, comment, and cirtique as you will. The journey of 1,000 kilos starts with one squat; may that squat be impossibly heavy and incredibly deep: journey well.
    Last edited by Baphomet3; 01-03-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Cool man, best of luck on all of those.

Ground Zero:

The last meet of 2012 was in early November. I snatched 121 kgs and just missed 127 kgs, which would have been a state record. I went on to CnJ 138 kgs and just missed 144 kgs. Since then, I've done fuck-all. Mostly dicking around, but also burned my foot doing a fire dance and hobbeled around on big black blisters for two weeks. Then got food poisioning from deer chilli and shjt pond water 24/7 for about 3 days. After that, Christmas in Santa Fe kept me off the grid for a solid week. At this point, I'm calling it an expanded version of Dan John's 6-week reset wherein he recommends all heavy athletes take 6 weeks a year completely off. Mine is closer to 8 or 9 weeks, so this is more of a hard reboot.

So, I'm down between 15 and 20 lbs., mostly due to the pond water incident. Have scarcely touched a barbell in two months. But, I've got a new program in place and the slow march to madness is underway. I got back under the iron on Jan. 1st and we're in the prelimenary conditioning phases of the power program for the winter season. Here we'll still use the Oly lifts, but more as an explosive component of the early skill portion of the workout. And, we'll still use the strongman/highlander movements, but more as core/grip/conditiong medleys as the finishing portion of the workout. The emphasis now is on slow lifts, squat, bench, dead, brute strength, and injury prevention. I'd also reeeeally like to gain back the size I've lost. That should be easy enough. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Baphomet3; 01-04-2013 at 10:55 AM.

First week is creaky and rusty as hell. Getting back into a groove. Greasing the gears. Forming the habits. Punching the clock. I'm sure some other cliche metaphors go here as well. Today is the first day it really felt good to go out there and grab the bar and throw it around. Still nothing heavy. Didn't break 80 kgs all week on any movement. Just basic stuff. Learning to walk again. Setting the foundation. Yeah, I'm back to the metaphors. Patience is the theme of the first week. Be patient. Pay attention to the details. Start it off right.

Week two is better but reinforces the idea that patience must be my new motto. I think I deteriorated far more than I realized with that little illness. I'm gradually improving on everything and need to stay consistent and steady and think long term here. There is a powerlifting meet in about 10 weeks and that remains my first hurdle to achieve. I've recently squatted (507 lbs) something like 30 lbs over my competition squat PR (479 lbs), and I'd like to at least break it in this meet.
    Last edited by Baphomet3; 01-14-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Keep it up man.

Still treading water. Doing a much better job of staying patient now. Body weight is back up to 225 lbs from a low of 209 after the new year. At this point I start a gradual ramp-up in intensity that will run the next 6 weeks or so.

Getting oriented in the gym again. Things are feeling good for the first time in quite a while. Had two nice workouts last week. Hit a 100 kg snatch and a 115 front squat for 5 nice reps. Getting a lot more kettle bell work and agility drills in this time around. Sprints. Footwork drills. Mobility and technique are solid. Just need to get stable and strong again. Light at the end of the tunnel.

Mobilize.
    Stabilize.
    Powerize.
    Pay your dues.

Keep updating, it keeps me on point.

Eyeing first return to competition.

Ft. Worth, TX has an Oly meet in 5 weeks. If things go well, this could be a nice benchmark to shoot for. I'd need steady and sustained progress between now and then to make it worthwhile, but I expect steady and sustained progress, so, we'll see. That gets me back on a stage and lifting in front of a crowd, good prep for the NASA power meet just a few weeks after. No real motivation like the spectre of public humiliation/glory, eh?

+ Reply to Thread