+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bob Sapp runs through Mark Hunt, takes on Overeem in final.

MMAWeekly Regular xxxVALETUDOxxx's Avatar

Default Bob Sapp runs through Mark Hunt, takes on Overeem in final.

Damn Japan is crazy.

Someone get Gary Goodridge on the line and get that man a much needed paycheck.

Oh yeah, it's arm wrestling.
    Proudly supporting: Equality, Work placement for all monetary handouts ,Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Welfare Drugtesting, Junior Dos Santos, Alessio Sakara, Blatant Video taping of all police arrests by the public to be put on youtube for all to see, Deep sea spear fishing, Edson Barboza, Bill Murray, Glover Texeria, Non-GMO, 100% organic produce , Chemtrail research and investigation, Boycotting Monsanto, Photography and Art programs in our school systems, Squirters

Hahaha . . . sweeeeet.

MMAWeekly Regular

That's ****ing awesome.

I have always been a big fan of arm wrestling despite never having followed the sport on TV, and I've always said that other than Goodridge, Sapp would beat just about everyone, and he's not even nearly as jacked as he was back in Pride.

It's the one sport where he DOESN'T have to throw in the towel every match hahaha.

I LOVE the reaction at 7:32 of the little Japanese girls to Sapp's victory haha.

Of course Goodridge would beat everyone based on technique, but I'd love to see more of this, I'd like to see Lesnar, Carwin, Hon Man Choi, Giant Silva, Semmy Schilt, Jon Jones, etc.

And was that guy who beat Sapp at the end a Japanese arm wrestling champ?

I'm guessing so.

Funny stuff. I used to arm wrestle like crazy. I still get employees that challenge me. I'll accept one or two a year as a goof, but my shoulders are too jacked up to waste hurting them on arm wrestling. It involves way more technique than most people realize.

Carwin or brock would be fun to watch too.
    Former UFF Interim Champ
    MMA ELIMINATOR XXIV Winner
    FCIII Champion
    FCV Team Champs-Rocketman & FA-Qer-RWS
    FCVIII Team Champs
    -Robmck3898 & FA-Qer- Cake-n-Bake
    2009, 2010, 2011 OD Welterweight Champion
    Proud member of New Breed, PCT, ZING, The Team and Team TOIAP IS A PUNK!!!
    Guitarist for Elbow Deep!!

Quote Originally Posted by FA-Qer View Post
    Funny stuff. I used to arm wrestle like crazy. I still get employees that challenge me. I'll accept one or two a year as a goof, but my shoulders are too jacked up to waste hurting them on arm wrestling. It involves way more technique than most people realize.

Arm wrestling with someone who knows what they are doing is a shortcut to a broken arm!

I'm surprised Zuffa lets Overeem participate. Having his arm snap in half and be out for another year would be a bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky Supafly View Post
    There's no need to go Fox News on this shit, you fucking dildo.
    Quote Originally Posted by d3murf View Post
    This is me vs you. One on Bum!

MMAWeekly Regular

When I finally realized this it got me to thinking...is there any more pure test of strength between two individuals that would involve less technique??

I realize that ALL tests of strength involve some, weight lifting, all the events done in the World's Strongest Man, etc.

But, I do wonder, for example, if a PRIME ROIDED Bob Sapp did not have more power in the same exact muscles in the arm that are used for arm wrestling, than Goodridge in his prime.

They are about the same height with about the same amount of fat, so those 100lbs of muscle mass for Sapp had to account for SOME muscles in his body being stronger than Goodridge's, if not his arms.

I know that muscle mass isn't everything, that you could be stronger than someone with more muscle mass however...

But, is it possible that the specific muscle groups in the arm used in arm wrestling might be stronger in a certain individual who might lose to another in an arm wrestling match because the latter has better technique??

Since it seems that the answer to that is yes.......is there any kind of contest of strength that is more pure a contest of Strength ALONE with less technique involved???

This is why I like watching guys who DON'T know much about arm wrestling arm wrestle...because it seems to come down just to brute strength, and I like to see that question answered rather than who has better technique.

What I am asking, essentially, is this:

If Goodridge had NO knowledge of arm wrestling technique, and knew no more about it than Bob Sapp...would he still beat Bob Sapp in an arm wrestling match??

And if not, does that not mean that Sapp is essentially stronger in those muscle groups and Goodridge would just beat him by using technique???

If so...makes it sound a little more like BJJ than a contest of pure strength.......

I think technique definitely beats strength...sometimes. VERY similar to BJJ. I've been submitted by far smaller guys and I have submitted far larger guys. I think there is a balance in each person that can effectively beat another guy that appears to be the favorite. I think like most things in life, individual styles make for interesting outcomes.

I know there are different approaches to arm wrestling which take in to account body type, height, strength, speed etc. Some guys top roll, hook, press and there are quite a few other ways to do it. I had a guy talking crap to me about 8 years ago at work. He was 5" taller and about 120lbs heavier than me. I looked up some stuff online and tried a few things with friends. I figured out that I was very good a hooking and it allowed me to beat guys very easily that used to give me trouble. I ended up crushing this guy in about 5 seconds. Score one for the short guys!!

I agree though. i think it's even more fun to watch guys that know nothing arm wrestle. it's very similar to BJJ tournaments. It's alway more fun to watch blue belts flipping around than it is to watch black belts move three inches in 40 seconds. I acknowledge and appreciate skill, but sometimes you just want to have fun
    Former UFF Interim Champ
    MMA ELIMINATOR XXIV Winner
    FCIII Champion
    FCV Team Champs-Rocketman & FA-Qer-RWS
    FCVIII Team Champs
    -Robmck3898 & FA-Qer- Cake-n-Bake
    2009, 2010, 2011 OD Welterweight Champion
    Proud member of New Breed, PCT, ZING, The Team and Team TOIAP IS A PUNK!!!
    Guitarist for Elbow Deep!!

nice to see Sapp win something.
    and not go into a turtule defense.
    last dude was fast.

MMAWeekly Regular

I think technique definitely beats strength...sometimes. VERY similar to BJJ. I've been submitted by far smaller guys and I have submitted far larger guys. I think there is a balance in each person that can effectively beat another guy that appears to be the favorite. I think like most things in life, individual styles make for interesting outcomes.

I know there are different approaches to arm wrestling which take in to account body type, height, strength, speed etc. Some guys top roll, hook, press and there are quite a few other ways to do it. I had a guy talking crap to me about 8 years ago at work. He was 5" taller and about 120lbs heavier than me. I looked up some stuff online and tried a few things with friends. I figured out that I was very good a hooking and it allowed me to beat guys very easily that used to give me trouble. I ended up crushing this guy in about 5 seconds. Score one for the short guys!!

I agree though. i think it's even more fun to watch guys that know nothing arm wrestle. it's very similar to BJJ tournaments. It's alway more fun to watch blue belts flipping around than it is to watch black belts move three inches in 40 seconds. I acknowledge and appreciate skill, but sometimes you just want to have fun
    Right, but that still doesn't answer my questions of:

"If Goodridge had no knowledge of arm wrestling techinique, would he lose to Sapp, and if so, would that not mean that Sapp was actually stronger in those muscle groups??"

And also the question of

"is there any kind of contest which determines more "brute strength" with less emphasis on technique?"

Since I do BJJ, I am usually more interested in technique, but I also like the old fashioned question of simply who the stronger man is answered...regardless of technique.

Again, I realize that "technique" plays a part in most contests of strength, but I am just wondering whether or not an arm wrestling contest really does determine who is the stronger man when it comes to whatever muscle groups are used in the contest (only someone who knows about physiology could answer that) or whether or not technique is more important.

I'd guess it's a combination of both, but it still leaves me wondering.

+ Reply to Thread