+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Worst Championship Beatdown?

MMAWeekly Regular

^^^^

I mean Shadow Warrior, obviously we will not agree here, but there is one point that is absolutely INDISPUTABLE and it is this:

JDS showed MUCH greater tolerance for pain, both the physical effects of it, and the emotional and mental toll of it, in his loss, than Shogun did.

I know you will try to argue Shogun showed more "heart" than JDS (I disagree again) by saying he fought harder (I disagree) but even if that is the case, he showed WAY less ability to tolerate the beating he was getting, both physically and mentally.

That is why I think it is so hard to agree with you.

In my opinion JDS got beat up worse in terms of the overall physical damage he took than Shogun did, but that is less important than the end result in my personal definition of a "beat down".

He would almost HAVE to have had because the fight lasted TWICE as long.

He got hit a lot more, he got taken down a lot more, but he never quit.

And I think that a "beatdown" in MMA is just as much if not more "mentally quitting" than physically.

Again, I know you will argue that Shogun "fought harder"...but in the end he wilted so badly, that the end result was he openly acknowledged he could not handle the pain anymore, and JDS refused to do that.

Also...we could find out in terms of stats which one of us is right in terms of which guy got hit more and landed more strikes, which guy got taken down more etc....but it would of course have to be done up until the point in which the Shogun fight ended in round 3, because OBVIOUSLY JDS took more damage since the fight lasted 5 rounds.

I am sure the stats exist online somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Toehold View Post
    ^^^^

I mean Shadow Warrior, obviously we will not agree here, but there is one point that is absolutely INDISPUTABLE and it is this:

JDS showed MUCH greater tolerance for pain, both the physical effects of it, and the emotional and mental toll of it, in his loss, than Shogun did.

I know you will try to argue Shogun showed more "heart" than JDS (I disagree again) by saying he fought harder (I disagree) but even if that is the case, he showed WAY less ability to tolerate the beating he was getting, both physically and mentally.

That is why I think it is so hard to agree with you.

In my opinion JDS got beat up worse in terms of the overall physical damage he took than Shogun did, but that is less important than the end result in my personal definition of a "beat down".

He would almost HAVE to have had because the fight lasted TWICE as long.

He got hit a lot more, he got taken down a lot more, but he never quit.

And I think that a "beatdown" in MMA is just as much if not more "mentally quitting" than physically.

Again, I know you will argue that Shogun "fought harder"...but in the end he wilted so badly, that the end result was he openly acknowledged he could not handle the pain anymore, and JDS refused to do that.

Also...we could find out in terms of stats which one of us is right in terms of which guy got hit more and landed more strikes, which guy got taken down more etc....but it would of course have to be done up until the point in which the Shogun fight ended in round 3, because OBVIOUSLY JDS took more damage since the fight lasted 5 rounds.

I am sure the stats exist online somewhere.
    Fight Metric states that Shogun landed 9 strikes in 2 1/2 rounds, while JDS landed 57 strikes in 5. So even if Shogun went the distance with Jones, we could have only expected him to land 1/3 the # of strikes that JDS landed against Cain.

Jones on the other hand landed 75 strikes, while Cain landed 111, so Jones would have likely far surpassed Cain's strike total had it gone the distance.

Cain's win was a dominant performance. Jones win was a wtfpwning.
    MMAF: 41-32-3 (2X champ)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMSAYIN
    Can you read? Are you stupid? No.. youre just a big mouth chicken crap piece of crap
    ill take my vid cam to Orlando.. kick his ass. Then post it on my YouTube channel
    I will kick your door down.. kick your ass.. and then let your skank serve me eggs Benedict...in your facking bed
    You suck cock and you.know it. We all know it. The whole board has seen it goofs

^^^ Real Talk From A Real G

After seeing Cain demolish JDS and exposing him as a 1 trick pony, I'm feeling pretty confident that Jones will crush Dos Santos when he morphs and jumps to HW. That's a thought a lot of people scoffed and laughed at, but there's no way Jones would be in incredible danger against a one dimensional power boxer.

"Dude, you should be here! I'm drinking Slayer's Heinekins right now!"

- Budo 8/11/2010

IF YOU NEVER WRESTLED, DEEP DOWN YOU KNOW YOU WISH YOU HAD!

MMAWeekly Regular

Quote Originally Posted by brewland View Post
    After seeing Cain demolish JDS and exposing him as a 1 trick pony, I'm feeling pretty confident that Jones will crush Dos Santos when he morphs and jumps to HW. That's a thought a lot of people scoffed and laughed at, but there's no way Jones would be in incredible danger against a one dimensional power boxer.
    As much as I fuccin HATE to admit it because I am a HUGE JDS fan and a HUGE hater of Jones, this is probably true.

However, I think JDS would still have a better chance than most people, because if he clips Jones hard enough, which is definitely possible, it's lights out.

Also, I am not sure that Jones could actually FINISH JDS if Cain couldn't, even if he might grind him up a lot.

I don't think that Jones has as good standup as either Cain or JDS despite the reach advantage, so he'd have to take it to the ground early and often.

I just hope there is some way for JDS to improve his wrestling, BJJ and kicking enough to pose a bigger threat to guys like Jones, Cain and Cormier, but it's difficult when he lacks the wrestling.

It sucks that my favorite fighters are never wrestlers, probably has something to do with the fact that I never got to wrestle and wished I had, but I will never stop rooting for strikers and BJJ guys to prove that they can still beat the best wrestlers out there if they have the right game plan.

Anderson and Aldo are two of the few who have proved it's possible to beat the best wrestlers in their divisions without having wrestling backgrounds.

Even in an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of way, I STILL hope to see either Cain or Cormier hand Jones his ass, though I am not sure, I think a fight with either could go either way.
    Last edited by Toehold; 01-01-2013 at 03:11 PM.

MMAWeekly Regular

Quote Originally Posted by goordie View Post
    Fight Metric states that Shogun landed 9 strikes in 2 1/2 rounds, while JDS landed 57 strikes in 5. So even if Shogun went the distance with Jones, we could have only expected him to land 1/3 the # of strikes that JDS landed against Cain.

Jones on the other hand landed 75 strikes, while Cain landed 111, so Jones would have likely far surpassed Cain's strike total had it gone the distance.

Cain's win was a dominant performance. Jones win was a wtfpwning.
    AND Shogun tapped while JDS lasted all 5 rounds.

I rest my case.

Shogun was pwned MUCH worse than JDS was.

Shogun's was "semi-excusable" though considering the long layoff.

We saw the best looking, leanest, meanest JDS and he got wtfpwnt.

With that said I do agree that Shogun being executed by Jones was probably the worst championship beatdown the side of Anderson Silva's ballet of violence against Rich in the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Premier View Post
    Right here with you. This was one of the few fights were I didn't have a favorite. Amazing how you can enjoy a fight more that way.
    Very true! I was happy for either guy to win and both to put up a good fight! Whilst I think I prefer Junior, The idea of Cain winning and it creating at least a trilogy and a potential 5 fight series or something like that meant I was not too bothered at all that Cain won!

Junior really did show crazy heart in that fight, as did Cain in a way. He could have easily lost his bottle when Junior was simply stepping out of the first half dozen TD attempts!

1.) Anderson - Franklin (the most systematically nasty and clincal beatdown I've ever seen! Franklin actually looked like a drowning man in that fight!)

2.) Jones - Shogun (was simply nasty to watch, and it is a testiment to Shogun's gigantic brass balls that it went longer than 3 mins, let alone 3 rounds!)

3.) Serra - GSP 1 (Serra was mericless in this fight, staying calm, landing hurtful leather and bouncing GSP's head around like he was doing an Allen Iverson impression, ultimately making the champ tap to head strikes!)

Cain - JDS would have snuck in the top 3 if it wasn't for the joy I take in watching GSP getting his sh*t pushed in! Lol

silva smashing franklin blew my mind...while watching that fight, i knew that everything had changed.

i can still visualize that clinch franklin was in getting bombed by silva's knees.
    “And now...farewell to kindness, humanity and gratitude. I have substituted myself for Providence in rewarding the good; may the God of vengeance now yield me His place to punish the wicked.”

Quote Originally Posted by brewland View Post
    Bones over Shogun. Franklin's loss to Silva is close. Rich was taken out brutally, but rather quickly.

Jr didn't get finished last night.

Cain got clipped too early to be considered a massive "beating" by JDS.

Shogun was beaten, bludgeoned, grinded out, and brutalized for multiple rounds. He's one of the toughtest guys on Planet Earth and he was tapping from that liver shot which was basically a cherry on top of an abusive sundae. It was a beat down for the ages.
    Agree completely

Worst beatings put on a champ losing their belt:

1. Silva destroying Franklin
    2. Bones destroying Shogun
    3. Cain giving JDS a 5 round beating
    4. Couture giving Tito a 5 round beatdown and taking his LHW title.
    5. GSP destroying Hughes (though this wasn't a surprise to any knowledgable MMA followers)

+ Reply to Thread