+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgia thread/Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by purekane View Post
    Punishment gear with the flamed/beanies...cage vs ring arguments. Chris Leben

when he was all heart. AA when he had a chin/AA the poster and his typos.
    Arlovski NEVER had a chin!

MMAWeekly Regular xxxVALETUDOxxx's Avatar

Bang being the next big thing at LW. Then he went back to K1...I think.

UFC 37.5...wasn't in on Fox Sports? Lawler opened...against Riley? Vitor and Chuck headlined.

Roided Timmay. And nothing besides a drug test was going to stop him it seemed.

Rizzo kicking Severns leg so F'n hard it looked like he was going to break his legs or completely ruin his knees. I was watching live and I was just like WTF? Severn's done! I guess I was right in some ways and in other ways I was wrong...considering I think he just retired this year.

Brian Fucking Johnston. One of the first guys I was just like "woah, that dude is a straight meathead roided killer"

Kevin Randleman showing some leap

Tito ducking Randleman

Jeremy Horn not just fighting for a check

Landi/Patino -If you have never seen these two's insane battles, they are on youtube.

Hunt and Sefo putting down there hands and letting the other one hit each other

CroCop hitting his left high kick to Mark Hunt, Hunt falls on is ass, gets right back up, pulls up his pants and keeps coming forward

Bob Sapp beating Hoost

CC busting Sapp's orbital

Tank/Cabbage rematch where Cabbage sticks out his chin and Tank picks up his last sweet victory.

Yoshida surprising everyone and hanging in there with some tough MoFo's.

Travis Fulton
    Proudly supporting: Equality, Work placement for all monetary handouts ,Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Welfare Drugtesting, Junior Dos Santos, Alessio Sakara, Blatant Video taping of all police arrests by the public to be put on youtube for all to see, Deep sea spear fishing, Edson Barboza, Bill Murray, Glover Texeria, Non-GMO, 100% organic produce , Chemtrail research and investigation, Boycotting Monsanto, Photography and Art programs in our school systems, Squirters

When ppv's were only once every 2 months and each one was such a big event. Don't get me wrong, overall I definitely prefer the frequency we get them these days but look fondly back on how awesome a "UFC weekend" was.
    Last edited by airjasper; 12-27-2012 at 02:04 AM.
    23-3 at Avatar/Sig/Self Ban

When Chuck ruled the LHW division and was basically Tito's bodyguard. Pride EVENTS! Watching the early Ultimate Fighter seasons and seeing people freak out when MMA was "introduced" to the mainstream.

Miss mmalive, now there's too many mma shows.

MMAWeekly Regular xxxVALETUDOxxx's Avatar

Ricco Rodriguez being the guy that was going to hold that belt for a long, long time. Then 14-1 underdog Tim Sylvia came around. He apparently hit pretty damn "hawd".
    Proudly supporting: Equality, Work placement for all monetary handouts ,Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Welfare Drugtesting, Junior Dos Santos, Alessio Sakara, Blatant Video taping of all police arrests by the public to be put on youtube for all to see, Deep sea spear fishing, Edson Barboza, Bill Murray, Glover Texeria, Non-GMO, 100% organic produce , Chemtrail research and investigation, Boycotting Monsanto, Photography and Art programs in our school systems, Squirters

I miss the days when it was hard to get into the UFC if you were British... Now pretty much anyone with a decent recored regardless of who they have fought can get in!

Back when the UFC came to the Albert Hall maybe UFC 38 only 2 brits had fought in the UFC - Ian Freeman & Mark Wier - Now you've got people like Rob Broughton and Oli Thomson and shed loads of other guys who have no place int he UFC getting fights!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MMAWeekly Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Kennith View Post
    I miss the days when it was hard to get into the UFC if you were British... Now pretty much anyone with a decent recored regardless of who they have fought can get in!

Back when the UFC came to the Albert Hall maybe UFC 38 only 2 brits had fought in the UFC - Ian Freeman & Mark Wier - Now you've got people like Rob Broughton and Oli Thomson and shed loads of other guys who have no place int he UFC getting fights!!!
    I've noticed this factor as well, not just with the Brits but fighters from other countries being a little more likely to be signed just so the UFC has a guy from "X country/nationality" on the roster for world wide fan appeal.

Sakara for Italy, all the Australians on THE SMASHES, and tons of other guys that aren't coming to mind now.

The UFC is really trying to expand world wide now with TUFs supposedly planned for India, and maybe even China and Mexico.

I think it's a great idea and I totally understand the idea of wanting to sign more fighters from more countries to get a broader fan base.

Fortunately for you, if it annoys you, since I think more legit British fighters are starting to show up, it's eventually bound to swing back the other way and it will be harder for British guys to be signed as a result of their nationality because there will be enough of them that they will no longer be a novelty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapout2.2 View Post
    Cool thread

Matt Hughes dominance.
    Cabbages chin
    Bj tooling gomi
    Pride Grand Prix's

Man I could go on forever
    This is the era I got into the sport. Good times.

To add:
    Sylvia/Arlovski feud
    Ortiz/Shamrock feud
    Hughes/Newton double KO
    "The gods we worship write their names on our faces, be sure of that. And a person will worship something, have no doubt about that, either. One may think that tribute is paid in secret, in the dark recesses of his or her heart, but it is not. That which dominates imagination and thoughts will determine life and character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we are worshiping, for what we are worshiping we are becoming."
    -RALPH WALDO EMERSON

MMAWeekly Regular

Here's one for you guys, the introduction of "sprawl and brawl" into the UFC.

Anyone know what pretty much the first instance of it really happening in the UFC was?

IMO it was when Don Frye beat Amaury Bittei at UFC 9 in 1996.

At that point BJJ was still pretty much considered "invincible" and there had not yet come along anyone who could really shut it down, ground and pound did not really exist as a strategy yet either since Coleman hadn't yet shown up.

So when Bittei fought Frye, believe it or not, EVERYONE thought Bitteti was going to EASILY beat him since he was a multiple time BJJ champ.

Most people weren't actually fans at the time, but I remember I had just begun going to Renzo's in NYC, I had barely ever been on a BJJ mat before, and Renzo wasn't usually there, but there was this one time he came by and the entire class had gathered around him and were asking him about this fight.

They were asking him why Bittei hadn't been able to beat Frye and why BJJ had failed to work.

I actually don't remember hearing what Renzo's answers were, I think he said that at one point Bittei had the chance to pull guard and that it would have been a smarter choice then standing, and I think he made the mention of BJJ guys needing to work on takedowns, something not many people really understood the need for back then.

So, there's a little history, a bunch of BJJers being AMAZED at the idea that BJJ had failed against a good wrestler/boxer in Don Frye and asking Renzo for an explanation.

Up until then it was pretty rare for a BJJ guy to lose to someone who had both wresting and striking skills and who kept it standing.

IMO Don Frye was the UFCs first sprawl and brawler.

+ Reply to Thread