+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: A Ranking System?? would you support

  1. #1

    Default A Ranking System?? would you support

    Well heres the thing that is kind of hard for me to explain to folks who watch MMA with me or the older guys who try to understand the sport a lil bit but arent so savvy about the fighters.

    why fighters are fighting who they are, and whos ranked above who. i have an even harder time explaining the title fights and why the challenger is even in the fight to begin with. not always but more and more as of late.

    well i wonder if we had a few writers from the top mma websites, a few writers for major publications, and few retired fighter and trainers all vote on a top 20, would you guys respect it and consider it as the true mma ranking system, or would guys follow the path that were on as far one company says who is number one and deserving of a title shot, and folks just eating it up.

    like if the rankings said jones is number 1, sonnen is number 5,,,,,would you guys not care, or would you recognize the #5 ranking?

    i know it seems kinda ho-humish,,,,but if it were to be regognized and published alot of b.s matches would be harder to make and even harder to sell.

    im under the impression that alot of these "injuries" might be guys not feeling the scheduled fight and maybee in search of a more worthy opponent.

    and with guys turning down fights and getting criticized for it , it makes more and more sense to me

  2. #2
    MMAWeekly Regular xxxVALETUDOxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CALI, LBC
    Posts
    10,234

    Default

    The ranking system on this site used to be exactly what you described. It was the best rankings around at the time.

    Nowadays it should be much easier because 90% of the top talent is employed in the same company, where back then, it was all over the place and the 170 lb division was the only clear cut rankings.
    Proudly supporting: Equality, Work placement for all monetary handouts ,Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Welfare Drugtesting, Junior Dos Santos, Alessio Sakara, Blatant Video taping of all police arrests by the public to be put on youtube for all to see, Deep sea spear fishing, Edson Barboza, Bill Murray, Glover Texeria, Non-GMO, 100% organic produce , Chemtrail research and investigation, Boycotting Monsanto, Photography and Art programs in our school systems, Squirters

  3. #3
    MMAWeekly Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    10,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suckerfree View Post
    Well heres the thing that is kind of hard for me to explain to folks who watch MMA with me or the older guys who try to understand the sport a lil bit but arent so savvy about the fighters.

    why fighters are fighting who they are, and whos ranked above who. i have an even harder time explaining the title fights and why the challenger is even in the fight to begin with. not always but more and more as of late.

    well i wonder if we had a few writers from the top mma websites, a few writers for major publications, and few retired fighter and trainers all vote on a top 20, would you guys respect it and consider it as the true mma ranking system, or would guys follow the path that were on as far one company says who is number one and deserving of a title shot, and folks just eating it up.

    like if the rankings said jones is number 1, sonnen is number 5,,,,,would you guys not care, or would you recognize the #5 ranking?

    i know it seems kinda ho-humish,,,,but if it were to be regognized and published alot of b.s matches would be harder to make and even harder to sell.

    im under the impression that alot of these "injuries" might be guys not feeling the scheduled fight and maybee in search of a more worthy opponent.

    and with guys turning down fights and getting criticized for it , it makes more and more sense to me
    There's nothing "ho-humish" about the idea at all dude and I'd totally support it.

    I mean, this site and all the other MMA sites have their own ranking systems, it would really be best if they could come together and agree on one universal set of top 10 fighters per division, but I don't think that is realistic cause everyone has a different opinion.

    I mean, I like boxing but I don't follow it a lot so I don't know if there is one universal boxing ranking system for each of the major boxing orgs, is there??

    Hell, I would honestly suggest that the UFC come up with their own official ranking system for their fighters and put it on their site.

    Of course, that would not include fighters who aren't in the UFC, but I think that Dana and Joe Silva and ZUFFA should officially and openly display and acknowledge who they think the top 10 fighters in each weight class are under their banner.

    Also, if they did that and had their rankings on the UFC site then people would even more call them into question when they do things like Diaz/GSP and Sonnen/Jones because we would all see that the champs are not being matched up with the number one contenders even by the UFCs standards.

    However, that might be one reason that the UFC will probably never do it, because they want to make matches sometimes that are illogical and are done for money purposes only and don't want to have the finger pointed at them that they are contradicting their own rankings.
    Last edited by Toehold; 12-22-2012 at 05:24 PM.

  4. #4

    Default

    Thanks for the responses guys. My thought is that all folks voting should be nameless. And since we have different opinions lets do it like college football. Guys with the most votes gets the #2spot. Champs already #1. Then display ever number 1 vote every other fighter gets. That'll make a number 3 vs one a lot more sensible if the #3 fighter has a lot of #2 votes.

    And no. This shouldn't be done by the UFC. It should be independent. The sites that participate have voters who can blog. And take credit in making decisions. Jus like writers. And display the rankins however they feel.
    Last edited by suckerfree; 12-22-2012 at 06:08 PM.

  5. #5
    MMAWeekly Regular purekane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    wood grain grippin'
    Posts
    11,936

    Default

    In a perfect world it kinda makes sense, but Dana listening to a motley crew

    of Loretta Hunt's and has beens ....is almost comical in the real world.
    give me becky

  6. #6
    Member tdog628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toehold View Post
    Also, if they did that and had their rankings on the UFC site then people would even more call them into question when they do things like Diaz/GSP and Sonnen/Jones because we would all see that the champs are not being matched up with the number one contenders even by the UFCs standards.

    However, that might be one reason that the UFC will probably never do it, because they want to make matches sometimes that are illogical and are done for money purposes only and don't want to have the finger pointed at them that they are contradicting their own rankings.
    That's exactly why they don't have rankings.

  7. #7

    Default

    Nahhh guys..this has zero to do with the Ufc. If there was a ranking system "outside" of the ufc. Whether zuffa approves it or not it could be done. But would you hold it credible.


    I guess what I'm really asking is do you want the best fighting the best or do you not really care as long as its entertaining

  8. #8
    Member ZuffaZombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canada, eh
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    When the voters start putting up money to pay the fighters then they can have a say in who fights who.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZuffaZombie View Post
    When the voters start putting up money to pay the fighters then they can have a say in who fights who.

    uhhhh,,,,, but i thought thats what we as fans do. we actually put up the money = ppv buys, merch buys ect. and also, not sure if you watch any other sports or not....but dont ALL of those other sports have rankings?? as far as i know they ALL DO. even football and basketball and baseball. its how they determine playoff positions, homefield ect.

    maybee im the only one who thinks this or something like it needs to be done.....and asap.

  10. #10
    Member TNCclubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    The perfect ranking system would be produced if the guys fought each other to determine who gets ranked where. Then the ranking system would be the best it can possibly be to determine matchups.

    Merry Christmas! Im here all week...
    Fighter bashing vs not fighter bashing is like the difference between farting and dropping a silencer in a crowded elevator...

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts