+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Critiquing CrossFit

Hey Baph, with all of your Olympic lifting and squatting, do you worry about imbalances with your quads and hamstrings?

No. In fact, I'm probably more in balance than I've ever been.

Full ROM Squats hit rear chain and quads. Moving between back, overhead, and front squats shifts the emphasis around and prevents dominant postures or muscle groups. And, most of Oly lifting is rear chain dominant, particularly the snatch. So we get posterior-dominant and quad-dominant movements both in generous portions, often in the same workout, often in the same lift (consider a clean and jerk a deadlift, a front squat, and a push press).

Mix in a few sprints, box jumps, and a healthy side dose of tire flipping, sled pushing, strongman goofin' and you're probably more well-rounded doing what I'm doing vs. anything else I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet3 View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but visiting with some relatives over the holidays, two of which are serious endurance athletes and competitive marathoners, whom are both now seriously injured due to their training. In preperation for marathons they accumulate upward of 50 miles/week of running, which takes a tremendous toll on the heart, the joints, the ligaments, as well as creatin significant imbalances in the musculature of the jegs which can lead to muscle tears and worse.
    not surprising at all. i mean who ****ing told these people this makes sense as far as health, wellness, anything really? endurance **** like that never made any sense to me. I'd prefer to get powerful as **** while practicing sport specific movements... running 26+ miles??? i mean what the **** really?

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd1982 View Post
    Hey Baph, with all of your Olympic lifting and squatting, do you worry about imbalances with your quads and hamstrings?
    my program consists of mostly squatting and some olympic lifting(c&j's/snatch deads), and I am definitely more balanced than ever. i squat 5x a week, 3x with barbell variations and 2x with bodyweight - like baph said, as long as you get a full range of motion you won't have to worry about imbalances.
    will aRmbAr 4 cHeEseSteAk

Wow never saw this thread before, listened to the pod cast and read all the posts and am now worried about my own routine and being balanced.

Never even heard of Rhabdomyolysis but sounds like some scary shіt

Quote Originally Posted by vegeta420z View Post
    Wow never saw this thread before, listened to the pod cast and read all the posts and am now worried about my own routine and being balanced.

Never even heard of Rhabdomyolysis but sounds like some scary shіt
    Don't be worried; be smart. You can figure this out.

Are you getting stronger, better, more in control, fitter, or are you flailing around like a child at recess with grab-ass, nonsensical programming and no real measure of progress or goal attainment? Do you know what your weaknesses, injury risks, and imbalances are? Are you working to correct them? Is it getting better?

If you don't know the answers to these questions, then yes, it's a problem. But, many crossfitters are content with the social interaction, intensity, and structure of their system and happy to simply exist in that world.

+ Reply to Thread