+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2012 College Football Bowl Pick em Thread

I'm with ya. I secured a win in my office poll today, so I have no money riding on an Alabama win and would love nothing better than to see a repeat of the A&M game followed by Herbstreet's resignation and a serious national discussion on the degree to which the media appears to have inflated the dominance of the SEC.

Great game.

Man Alabama's offensive line just dominated the ND front 7, it wasn't even competitive!
    Supporting Zuffa....the only promotion spending money to further the sport.

Peyton Freaking Manning

Winning!

That was one of the worst games I've ever seen for a national title. Titanic mismatch. Will certainly hurt the chance of independent teams in the future. ND played one, maybe two mediocre teams all year and went undefeated with a soft schedule and looked absolutely lost out there. That was ugly and never competitive at all. I didn't even watch most of the 2nd half and I had money on the game. Gotta wonder if there weren't a handful of more-deserving, and certainly more capable teams out there. A&M for one can argue that they were the best team in the naion. Oregon would have at least given Bama something to sweat about. This was a bad game and a poor match-up.

If we had a playoff system like all the other levels of college football, the talent disparity wouldn't be so evident a teams wouldnt have 6 weeks to prepare. Notre Dame has less talent than Bama, Oregon, A&M, Kstate....but they played solid football all year. 6 weeks of preparation and Saban had the better team ready to kick ass just like last year.

I watched the FCS playoffs this year and the 16 team playoff came down to North Dakota State vs Sam Houton State. Lots of style clashes and very fun, week to week games with teams advancing. Sam Houston State drops 45 points in the semi-finals and then goes into the title game against the vaunted ND State defense. They hung in for a half and then ND State took off and whoopd them. Its so much better than what we get with DIV 1 and while the 4 team thing is cool for next year, it still pales in comparison to a full slate of "playoff" games.

Lets quit ***** footing around and get ourselves a playoff system! 12 teams - top 4 get a bye and 5-12 play the first round. 4 weekends of football and we have a national champion that has to win 3 or 4 playoff games - just like the NFL.

Sold .

To be fair to ND, who I hate, Saban is just that good at game planning. Any team he coaches with the talent that Alabama has is going to beat anyone with 4 weeks preparation time. They would have beat any team in the country last night. Tho maybe not as bad. It wasn't coincidence that Tao(sp) was absolutely nowhere to be found last night. That's why he doesn't lose National Championship games ever. I think LSU was better than Alabama last year, but Saban out coached Miles. Just my opinion.

There is some real merit to that theory. Saban and his staff do a phenomenal job of keeping their squad focused, healthy, and sharp, and in planning for specific opponents. You give this organization 6 weeks to heal-up and prepare for one specific team and it's going to be bad 9 times out of 10. The only thing that stops Bama from keeping this streak going is something like an Oregon who just catches fire on the right night and manages to hang 45 pts on them in a track meet. I think you're right that LSU just doesn't have the staff/coordinators/lock-step laser focus that Bama has and for many teams, 6-weeks off means you get worse, not better. You give me 6-weeks off and my old uniform won't fit. Period. Bama is the opposite. Bama may have been the 5th best team in the nation this year, but you give them 6-weeks to prep and they're probably #1 or #2 with ease.
    Last edited by Baphomet3; 01-09-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Loved Saban's reply about what his does with all the championship rings:

Leave them on the coffee table for the new recruits to look at

Which is why he'll never leave Bama. You make $5.5 million/year in a year like this and instead of being punished for success, as you are with NFL draft picks, you're rewarded heavily and will likely lead the nation in recruiting prospects.

+ Reply to Thread