+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2012 College Football Bowl Pick em Thread

Gotta wonder if the seats starting to get a little hot Stoops.

He has been 3-5 in bcs games. This ass raping we are watching. They were pretty much 1, 2, 3, in college preseason polls...and they MAY finish in the top 20?

And I love Stoops.

Mr Football would like to thank you for watching

Last edited by conair2187; 01-04-2013 at 10:50 PM.

OU is forever over-rated. They never had the defense to be a serious top 10 team and anyone with a sober analysis of the squad will grant you that. Landry's leadership has long left much to be desired, as well; particularly in big games and under pressure. And Mike Stoops (here comes my personal bias) is a goddamn spastic, unbalanced, certified asshole and has no business coaching anyone at any level. Frankly, OU is fortunate they didn't lose to WVU and OSU and end the season with 4 or 5 Ls.

Let's look at the home stretch for OU. Keep in mind, only ONE of these teams is even ranked in the top 20. Here's what the OU defense gave up:

vs. A & M - 633 yards; 41 pts
    vs. OSU - 490 yards; 48 pts
    vs. WVU - 662 yards; 49 pts
    vs. Baylor - 424 yards; 34 pts

Now, I don't mean to single out OU. In general, many of these premier teams and especially premier defenses are wildly over-rated. And offenses are evolving more rapidly than defenses can keep up in the grid iron arms race. Look what A & M did all damn season in the SEC. In the lion's mouth of defensive lock down they AVERAGED 45 pts a game. FORTY-FUCKING-FIVE, guys. Look what they did to Alabama. Look what Louisville did to Florida, the #1 defense in football. But, I will say this, you can't give up 550 yards and 44 pts a game in the home stretch and then feel sorry for yourself when you still get a share of a conf title and a cotton bowl berth. Be glad you got what you did and try to fix what's wrong before the wheels totally fall off and you're trying to explain away a 6-win season with the Belldozer at the helm.
    Last edited by Baphomet3; 01-05-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet3 View Post
    OU is forever over-rated. They never had the defense to be a serious top 10 team and anyone with a sober analysis of the squad will grant you that. Landry's leadership has long left much to be desired, as well; particularly in big games and under pressure. And Mike Stoops (here comes my personal bias) is a goddamn spastic, unbalanced, certified asshole and has no business coaching anyone at any level. Frankly, OU is fortunate they didn't lose to WVU and OSU and end the season with 4 or 5 Ls.

Let's look at the home stretch for OU. Keep in mind, only ONE of these teams is even ranked in the top 20. Here's what the OU defense gave up:

vs. A & M - 633 yards; 41 pts
    vs. OSU - 490 yards; 48 pts
    vs. WVU - 662 yards; 49 pts
    vs. Baylor - 424 yards; 34 pts

Now, I don't mean to single out OU. In general, many of these premier teams and especially premier defenses are wildly over-rated. And offenses are evolving more rapidly than defenses can keep up in the grid iron arms race. Look what A & M did all damn season in the SEC. In the lion's mouth of defensive lock down they AVERAGED 45 pts a game. FORTY-FUCKING-FIVE, guys. Look what they did to Alabama. Look what Louisville did to Florida, the #1 defense in football. But, I will say this, you can't give up 550 yards and 44 pts a game in the home stretch and then feel sorry for yourself when you still get a share of a conf title and a cotton bowl berth. Be glad you got what you did and try to fix what's wrong before the wheels totally fall off and you're trying to explain away a 6-win season with the Belldozer at the helm.
    A&M's offense is ****ing dynamite indeed but..

Johnny Football scored 17 on Florida. (granted, his first game) 19 on LSU.

Those two teams, along with Alabama, are the premiere defensive teams of the SEC that A&M played. Everyone else in the SEC that A&M played (ie. the likes of Arkansas, Auburn, etc.. just suck). So while yes, 45 PPG is not a lie, it is deceiving in the sense because A&M was putting up 70 on likes the Sam Houston St. or 63 on Auburn.

Now if Johnny Football got a rematch against Florida or LSU tomorrow I would venture to say that he would put up way more than just 17 or 19.

I haven't cared too much about the bowl games this year. But Monday will be interesting. I think the Golden Domers have a better shot then most people are giving them.

Right, but Florida was Johnny Football's 2nd college game ever. He just turned 19. As the season progressed he found himself and took it to a whole new level. By the time they got to Alabama later in the season, A&M scored 20 pts in the FIRST QUARTER, and only due to missing one easy TD and two FGs did they end with up at 29 instead of 40ish.

I don't think it's misleading at all and honestly, as you point out, would anyone doubt that A&M would light Florida up in a rematch? Is Lousiville anywhere near the offensive threat that A&M is? Florida just gave up 33 pts to a team that lost to Syracuse and UConn and probably shouldn't be ranked at all.

But, I do agree on the Gold Domez mainly because of how similar ND is to A&M: solid D, mobile playmaker QB, versatile offense . . . this could be a serious nail biter.

Anyone think Chip Kelly sticks with Oregon? Or is it Mark Helfrich's turn to give it a go. I hope to god Chip stays but i think with the heavy possibilty of some sanctions on Oregon is gonna help expedite Chip to the NFL.

I don't really understand what Oregon is still being investigated for. From what i read they payed a guy (willie Lyles) for recruiting services that everybody else in college football uses. I know they still have a hearing coming up in a couple months but i don't get understand why

Baph 23-10

Sooner 23-10

Vegeta 20-13

Straight crown 19-14

I counted sooners no pick as a loss

It all comes down to the big one.

Goddamn Kent State. What kind of BS bowl is that, anyway?

Let's go Irish!
    Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away. ~Elvis

+ Reply to Thread