+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 College Football Bowl Pick em Thread

Baph is probably loving this Sugar Bowl at the moment.

On another note, I ****ing hate the month long layoff from the end of the season until the major Bowl games. Like with any sport, college football teams find a rhythm during the season, which is killed by having weeks off until they play again. I know people will say "well that's 4 weeks of preparation time for one game." I think that's total bull$hit. You can't tell me these kids aren't spending half their time thinking about what is basically a vacation with a football game thrown in, and what their gonna do when the get to Miami, Las Angeles, etc. And tonight's game is a perfect example. You can't tell me that Florida's defense, which is one of the best in the country, would be getting picked apart like they are if this game was played the week after their last game. And it also gives teams that are major underdogs, like Louisville, that much more time to feed off of the "nobody gives us a shot" mentality, and allows them to take advantage of what I previously mentioned.

And for the record, I'm not some SEC nuthugger or anything trying to make excuses for Florida, Im actually a Penn State fan(sadly). But I have always felt this way about when the Bowl games were played.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Crown View Post
    Baph is probably loving this Sugar Bowl at the moment.

On another note, I ****ing hate the month long layoff from the end of the season until the major Bowl games. Like with any sport, college football teams find a rhythm during the season, which is killed by having weeks off until they play again. I know people will say "well that's 4 weeks of preparation time for one game." I think that's total bull$hit. You can't tell me these kids aren't spending half their time thinking about what is basically a vacation with a football game thrown in, and what their gonna do when the get to Miami, Las Angeles, etc. And tonight's game is a perfect example. You can't tell me that Florida's defense, which is one of the best in the country, would be getting picked apart like they are if this game was played the week after their last game. And it also gives teams that are major underdogs, like Louisville, that much more time to feed off of the "nobody gives us a shot" mentality, and allows them to take advantage of what I previously mentioned.

And for the record, I'm not some SEC nuthugger or anything trying to make excuses for Florida, Im actually a Penn State fan(sadly). But I have always felt this way about when the Bowl games were played.
    Keeping your kids motivated falls on the coach. Florida spent the entire season playing like crap for a few quarters and then turning it on or forcing a play to win - that catches up with you. Muschamp tries to hard to pretend he's Gruden and walks around glaring at everyone like it means anything. He's a solid defensive coordinator but that's about it.

Florida is rusty, but they're also extremely over-rated along with their entire conference. And, as A&M showed all year, when these SEC gods get pressure from a spread, up-tempo attack, they spaz the fuck out and trip all over themselves for 2 or 3 quarters. Plus, Florida has a terrible offense. They get down like this and you can go ahead and flip over to How to Train Your Dragon or something.

This does fuck-up my office pool, though, which I'm leading by two games with just six games to go. Damn SEC. Even for a hater like me I didn't think #3 would be eating handfuls of shit from #21.

I've been unimpressed w Florida this year. Very average on offense. I know they have 4 "top 10" wins, but as several of us have been saying all year long, many of those "top 10" wins are the product of beating some teams that weren't quite what their rankings said they were (LSU, FSU).

Last pm, Florida just played stupid on defense. It seemed like the players were more concerned w trying to make Clowney type hits followed by woofing than they were making good timely tackles. 9 penalties for almost 100 yards, including some key personal foul plays that kept Cardinal drives alive and maximized Cardinal field position. L'ville outplayed them in every phase of the game except special teams.

Good for Strong and L'ville. Nice to see a guy make a committment to his program and stay while being woo'd by the more historically relevant programs.

Nice analysis. Reminds one of a latter-day Tyson; target-blind on kill shots and roaring crowds, ego drunk, having forgotten the head movement, body work, and fundamentals that built his sand castle to begin with.

Oregon playing a nice game. Particularly on defense. K State, too, appears a bit rusty. 8 penalties? I can't remember a game when they had more than 3. That's kind of their thing. Grind away. Chip away. Never make a mistake. Break you down. Really struggling with Oregon's athleticsm. Not sure if Oregon's not the best team in the nation this year when they're "on" ya know?

KState not going for the 4th and 1 (false start) right before halftime was HUGE. They had momentum and were in control of the tempo. Snyder was being conservative and trying cadence to get the offsides but should have let Klein sneak it. If they score right there they have a really good chance. Instead, they miss the FG and Oregon goes 70 yards in a minute for a TD. That was a back braker.

K State is legit but wasn't totally on. I think they beat Oregon 5 times out of 10 but Oregon was the better team tonight. It will be interesting to see how Oregon continues as a college football powerhouse after Chip Kelly leaves. 4 straight BCS bowls is impressive.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sooner 22-9

Baph 21-10

Straight Crown 19-12

Vegeta 18-13

Damn after that huge shіt i took lats week i am surprised i am not further behind i can still pass Straight crown if all 4 of the rest of my picks are good Sooner did not pick between Ole miss and Pit ( i cant catch up to him anyways.) No way i can cath up to baph either (he has the same picks as me for the last four games)

Baph can still catch sooner especially if sooner doesn't get his pick in for the ole mis game.

With this I clinch my office pool. Worst I can do is tie for first. What is Sooner2's pick for Ole Miss?

OU v. A&M reminds me of OU v. ND.

Mobile QB. Good rounded team. OU able to dink and dunk and keep it respectable for a half, but ultimately unable to tread water on the defensive end with all the tempo and unpredictability A&M brings. Johnny Football is for real, guys. Once he gets dialed-in on that deep ball we're looking at an absolute fucking nightmare for defensive coordinators. Jesus.

+ Reply to Thread