+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heisman Winning QBs

Default Heisman Winning QBs

I know RGIII is having a very solid year, but before him, I can't think of too many QBs who have won the Heisman and then gone on to be a perennial NFL stud. I guess Bradford has been doing alright so far, and Carson Palmer has had a half decent career, but I'm talking about guys who are All Pro talent in the NFL. Cam Newton had a good rookie year, but hasn't been nearly as much of a factor this season. Brady wasn't near a Heisman, and Peyton was beat out by Charles Woodson. And some previous winners like Troy Smith, Jason White, Chris Weinke, have been basically non existent since their college days. I think you would have to go all the way back to the mid 80's when Testeverde and Flutie won it, and even they weren't Hall of Fame type QBs in the NFL.

Any thoughts?

Agree. Gino Torreta beat out Faulk and the Georgia running back to win the Heisman and that bum did nothing in the NFL. You have to go far back to find good Heisman QBs and RGIII is breaking the mold of the last 30 years.
    Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away. ~Elvis

Problem with the Heisman is it is rarely given to the best player in college, but more to the best stats/hype. Not saying that is all of them, but as the OP lists demonstrates the Heisman voters are like fantasy football players: Love those eye popping stats but ignore the best players. Also the award is so focused on offensive numbers that it is rare when a Defensive player can lock it up. Charles Woodson was a great example but what everyone forgets is that he got a LOT of attention from the Heisman crew because of his kick/punt returning on top of his stellar defensive play. I am of the opinion that if he didn't do the return duties and change ballgames with it they would of passed on him as the winner.
    The Underdog Challenge IX: Champion
    The Underdog Challenge X: Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ocmmafan View Post
    Agree. Gino Torreta beat out Faulk and the Georgia running back to win the Heisman and that bum did nothing in the NFL. You have to go far back to find good Heisman QBs and RGIII is breaking the mold of the last 30 years.
    Lol Gino Torreta. Totally forgot about that dude. He won in the early 90's right?

The main problem I have with the Heisman is that it is rarely given to the best player in college football. But usually to the best player ON THE BEST TEAM in college football. Which, IMO, is total bullshit.

And I agree ROV, had Woodson not been a return man, I don't think he would have gotten it. Although I do think he would have deserved it, even without returning kicks. And a lot of people also forget that he also played WR at Michigan too. Not a lot, but he definitely got his snaps in on the offensive side of the ball. Not to mention how well he translated his talent into the NFL. The guy has been in the league, what, 15 years now? That's damn near impossible for anyone to do, even a kicker. But for a DB to do it, and still play good football to this day, that's just unreal.

T'eo is a guy who I think if he wins, will have a very solid NFL career.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Crown View Post
    The main problem I have with the Heisman is that it is rarely given to the best player in college football. But usually to the best player ON THE BEST TEAM in college football. Which, IMO, is total bullshit.

And I agree ROV, had Woodson not been a return man, I don't think he would have gotten it. Although I do think he would have deserved it, even without returning kicks. And a lot of people also forget that he also played WR at Michigan too. Not a lot, but he definitely got his snaps in on the offensive side of the ball. Not to mention how well he translated his talent into the NFL. The guy has been in the league, what, 15 years now? That's damn near impossible for anyone to do, even a kicker. But for a DB to do it, and still play good football to this day, that's just unreal.
    Sup brah?

Still get your overlying point though....However, Champ Bailey still says, "Sup brah?".

Quote Originally Posted by LiddellBback View Post
    Sup brah?

Still get your overlying point though....However, Champ Bailey still says, "Sup brah?".
    Lol that's funny because he is who I thought of literally one second after I posted that

Quote Originally Posted by Murphs56 View Post
    T'eo is a guy who I think if he wins, will have a very solid NFL career.
    Yeah I think he will translate well into the NFL. But I'm talking about Heisman winning QBs. There have been some winners at other positions(well pretty much one other position) that have had great NFL careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Crown View Post
    Yeah I think he will translate well into the NFL. But I'm talking about Heisman winning QBs. There have been some winners at other positions(well pretty much one other position) that have had great NFL careers.
    Danny Wuerffel dude...

+ Reply to Thread