+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Hot Stove..

  1. #31
    Member Straight_Crown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    City of Steel
    Posts
    4,089

    Default

    Pirates just signed Francisco Liriano. I know his numbers have not been great since coming off Tommy John surgery, but he has shown some some flashes since. He threw a no hitter in early 2011. Plus, I think a lot of guys have a tendency to produce a little more here because there is basically no pressure on them. Everyone expects them to lose anyway.

    But the main reasons I like the signing, other than needing a leftie in the rotation, are:

    1) It shows that Nutting is starting to open up the pocket book for players

    2) It's only a 2 year deal, rather than 5 like a lot of FA starters get

    3) Hopefully now we won't need to trade Hanrahan for a starter, like originally planned. And if we do trade the Hammer, hopefully we can get a proven vet to fill some gaps in the field. But while I think Grille could be a good closer, I would just as soon like to see Hanrahan back here this year.

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Crown View Post
    Pirates just signed Francisco Liriano. I know his numbers have not been great since coming off Tommy John surgery, but he has shown some some flashes since. He threw a no hitter in early 2011. Plus, I think a lot of guys have a tendency to produce a little more here because there is basically no pressure on them. Everyone expects them to lose anyway.

    But the main reasons I like the signing, other than needing a leftie in the rotation, are:

    1) It shows that Nutting is starting to open up the pocket book for players

    2) It's only a 2 year deal, rather than 5 like a lot of FA starters get

    3) Hopefully now we won't need to trade Hanrahan for a starter, like originally planned. And if we do trade the Hammer, hopefully we can get a proven vet to fill some gaps in the field. But while I think Grille could be a good closer, I would just as soon like to see Hanrahan back here this year.
    Great pick up for that amount of cash over only 2 years. Really no risk and possible rewards.

  3. #33
    Member Straight_Crown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    City of Steel
    Posts
    4,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bak3d View Post
    Great pick up for that amount of cash over only 2 years. Really no risk and possible rewards.
    What do you think about the trade they just made for Hanrahan? I honestly don't know how I feel about it.

  4. #34

    Default

    I think in the end you will be happy. The pitcher you guys got will never be MLB material but Sands can swing it.

    Hanrahan has electric stuff but he walks too many guys, especially pitching that late in a game.

  5. #35
    Member Straight_Crown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    City of Steel
    Posts
    4,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bak3d View Post
    I think in the end you will be happy. The pitcher you guys got will never be MLB material but Sands can swing it.

    Hanrahan has electric stuff but he walks too many guys, especially pitching that late in a game.
    My biggest problem with Hanrahan was he seemed to always let the lead off guy get on base, whether it was via walk or hit. But even with that, every time he came in with a save opportunity, it felt like a given that they were leaving with the W. And I think rust had a lot to do with his late season troubles last year. He would go weeks without coming in for a chance at a save. I still am curious as to why they didn't wait until the trade deadline this year to get more value out of him. Only thing I can think of, and this is probably exactly why, is because they were just wanting to dump his salary, and trading at the deadline for a more established player(s) would have defeated the purpose. I think Grille has a chance to step up and fill his shoes as a closer, but I'm not sure we have anyone who can come in and produce the same way Grille did as an 8th inning set up guy. Philly was basically just doing a favor for a veteran by letting him out of his contract, and coming to Pittsburgh seemed to re-energize him, as he had a great season last year.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    6,476

    Default

    Rockies signed Jeff Francis!

    70 wins here we come!
    Supporting Zuffa....the only promotion spending money to further the sport.

    Peyton Freaking Manning

    Winning!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts