+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone have experience with the slow carb diet?

"I Train UFC."

Default Anyone have experience with the slow carb diet?

Bought a book the four hour body the other day. It looked like it had some interesting concepts on weightloss/biohacking and what not. This diet pretty much tells you to eat mexican type meals (beans,vegetables,protein) every 4-5 hours, avoid any white grains, fructose, and potatoes unless 30 min after resistance workouts. Then it tells you to have a cheat/binge day once a week where you can eat as much of anything that you want even to the point of sickness. They claim that it will shed pounds with minimal to no exercise. I've been on it for 3 days. Havent noticed much so far (been trying to follow a paleo type diet), just noticing getting used to having beans everyday is a bit hard on the stomach at time. Looking forward to my first cheat day this saturday.

Wtf? Have you seen a Mexican?

No racist

someone will have more info/experience about this I'm sure, I'm interested to see how it goes for ya though, I'm a big supporter of just counting calories, setting limits, focusing on high protein intake, cutting carbs out of your last meal/s depending how many you eat a day, this is what has worked for me

"mexican" sounds bad (racist?) but when you put it like "beans, vegetables, protein.. avoiding fructose" can't really go wrong with that

This is Tim Ferris' diet, which i feel over stresses the legumes. There are a lot of good things about this too, if you do this it will take a few weeks for any meaningful conversion. Especially if you were carb and dairy heavy to start with.

what's the beef with dairy? that's a huge part of my diet, I always assumed it was a good source of protein

Its not the optimal protein though, and it comes with a lot of baggage, including lactose, which is a sugar, and its not helpful if you are losing weight. A lot of people aren't even aware of the digestive and other physical impacts of dairy on their body. Try to cut it out for a bit and see if you notice any changes.

I don't completely avoid cheese, but I try to, and I never touch milk, because there is too much **** in it for something that doesn't make you feel full.

"I Train UFC."

It says mexican style meals in his book. So you will have to bring up the racism with him haha. I'm not a big fan of dairy other than cheese because its delicious so I try and save that for once a week (same with gluten). I also have 2 cups of coffee with 2 tablespoons of butter in it every morning (Dave Aspreys thing). Other than that almond milk does the trick for me. I was pretty skeptical of the legumes aswell seeing they were out of my diet completely before, but I figured I'd give it a go. So far I've noticed my hunger is controlled well. I dont get that starving feeling until I haven't ate for a good 4 - 5 hours. My stomach seems to be slimming down but I have been pushing myself hard in the gym this week. Weights stayed pretty consistent around 218 - 219 lbs.

I'll weigh in. I was almost 200lbs 2 summers ago and by following this diet with about 70% commitment, I lost 25lbs in just over a couple of months. The best part is the cheat day. If there was anything I wanted, it was easier to say "I'll wait until Saturday then aw, I guess I can't ever have that again." I would GORGE myself on Saturday, even make myself a little sick and not really crave junk food for a few days and by then, it was only 2 or 3 more days until the next Saturday.

My work lunch of choice was mixed beans, chicken and salsa and guacamole microwaved. Fast, easy and pretty good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This diet is simply an off-shoot of the trend. Many (most?) nutritional thinkers are gravitation toward an anti-grain methodology. Caveman. Paleo. Slow carb. Atkins. Zone. How different are any of them, really? It's not about one particular method: it's about understanding how your body deals with different food types and making better choices.

+ Reply to Thread