+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do Bonds, Clemons, and Sosa deserve to make the Hall of Fame?

Default Do Bonds, Clemons, and Sosa deserve to make the Hall of Fame?

This is going to be a really interesting hall of fame ballot. We have the best hitter and the best pitcher of their eras who are both arguably top 5 all time in Bonds and Clemons up this year. Their numbers are insane, 7 MVPs for Bonds and 7 Cy Youngs for Clemons. Bonds is all time HR leader and top 5 in RBIs, Runs, On Base, Slugging, OPS, etc.. Clemons is top 10 all time in wins, 3rd in Ks, both are top 5 in WAR. Sosa had 3 seasons with 60 plus homers and 600 plus homers.

all 3 of course are linked with steroids. do you hold it against them and take a stand that nobody linked with roids makes the HOF? Do you assume that Bonds and Clemons were clean for the first half of their career or so when they already put up HOF numbers? Or do you hold it against MLB and the players union for turning their back on the PED issue and allowing players to juice without any potential ramifications?

i personally would vote for Bonds, Clemons and Sosa. they never failed a steroid test when they played, mostly because there weren't any roid tests for most of their career. I see Palmiero and Manny Ramirez as different because they both put up HOF numbers but failed tests when their were rules against it.

All three should be in. None of them will.

Clemens gets in i think. I dont think the other two do.

If they don't vote them in they basically are putting a rug over the entire steroid era and acting like it never happened.

Bonds and Clemens are arguably the 2 greatest players at their respective positions in the last 50 years, steroids or not they belong in the HOF.
    Supporting Zuffa....the only promotion spending money to further the sport.

Peyton Freaking Manning

Winning!

its interesting that so far, everyone here agrees that they should all be in. Bonds was the best player I have ever seen, and its not even close. Clemons is probably the best pitcher i ever saw.

sosa had a crazy run and brought more excitement to the game than almost anyone has. baseball had no problem collecting all of the money that sosa and mcgwire brought in during their magical summer, but now they have basically been forgotten about.

Bud Selig knew what was going on, so did the managers, general managers, talent scouts, etc...they didn't care. we have to remember that during the mid 90s, baseball was recovering from the strike that forced the 1994 World Series to be cancelled. baseball was losing fans at a pretty quick rate. the steroid era brought them back and more, it made baseball the coolest sport for the first time in a long time.

to me, baseball created these Frankenstein monsters, ignored what they were doing when they did it, and than only when the information went public did they decide to turn their back on what they created and try to take away their accomplishments.

i also can't stand the old timers who were all on amphetamines and anything else they could find to give them a little extra kick ripping on the players who used roids, when they know damn well that they would have done the exact same thing if given the opportunity.

if baseball didn't have a rule that they enforced against roids, than how to punish the players who may have used? If PEDS were so bad, than the guy who should never get into the HOF is Bud Selig for not banning and enforcing the ban earlier. he is the guys who was guilty, not the players

Yes, on all three. I would also put Pete Rose in. The homerun craze with McGwire, Sosa and Bonds was a hightime for baseball and baseball history and you can't take that stuff away from them. Weren't they originall doing creatine when it was okay in basketball and football but disallowed in baseball? I don't really care about steroids in sports and think you have to focus on what happens on the field ONLY. Speculation is for us fans to argue about and I recall when Brady Anderson hit 50 homeruns and Brett Boone going from average to supreme power hitter. Was it related to steroids? Don't know and don't care.

Speaking of Bonds, when he put that arm brace on and stood on the plate he was the best hitter of all time. Better than Babe Ruth or anyone that has ever lived. You couldn't pitch to him as he was fearless and would kill anything he could reach. I'm surprised everyone doesn't wear one of those things.

Until they put Pete Rose in, the HoF is a sham.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackel585 View Post
    Until they put Pete Rose in, the HoF is a sham.
    Rose needs to be in. However, I wouldnt go nearly as far as to call it a sham. It would be a sham if all three of these guys dont get in. For the simple fact like Fish pointed out. You are pretty much saying 15 years of the game didnt exist if these three dont get in.

Quote Originally Posted by ocmmafan View Post
    Speaking of Bonds, when he put that arm brace on and stood on the plate he was the best hitter of all time. Better than Babe Ruth or anyone that has ever lived. You couldn't pitch to him as he was fearless and would kill anything he could reach. I'm surprised everyone doesn't wear one of those things.
    I think I have more issue with this, then steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapout2.2 View Post
    I think I have more issue with this, then steroids.
    yeah, me too. Why doesn't everyone wear one? Must feel ackward but if you can stand on the plate that hurts the pitcher.

+ Reply to Thread