Couture on multiple occasions
    Tito beating Bader....
    Boxing
    Juan Manuel Marquez beating Juan Diaz.
    George Foreman beating MIchael Moorer
    Pernell getting robbed against delahoya
    Morales beating Pacquiao
    I could go on...
    Good list and I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Quote Originally Posted by LiddellBback View Post
    Dont worry Penn fans, BJ is going to whoop this kid's ass.
    Seconded..
    Jake Shields, proving that Strikeforce > UFC.

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/assets/i...e-shields6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Premier View Post
    Didn't BJ looked this good when he was jumping out of a pool?

Can't remember, did he lose his next fight after that?
    LW bj was jumping out of swimming pools. WW bj was just plain fat. except for this fight.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

I think he has added weight the right way. He was around 167 to 169 weeks of fights before.

He is around 175 to 180 now and has put good weight on.

I dont know how he will look, but I like he seems to be giving it an honest go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Clay Guida beats Takanori "The Fireball Kid" Gomi by Submission (Gulliotine Choke) at 4:27 Rd 2

This sig was bestowen upon me by XXXvaletudoXXX

Quote Originally Posted by lil j View Post
    MMA
    Wandy beating bisping
    Hendo beating Shogun
    Couture on multiple occasions
    Tito beating Bader....
    eh, I should have said rarely, but Shogun/Hendo definitely does not apply. Shogun might be younger than Hendo, but in fighting years they are about the same. Shogun has been in just as many wars as hendo.

I'll give you Wandy over Bisping slightly. I count Bisping as a veteran of the sport, but I guess that fight applies.

I wasnt thinkning back far enough to include Randys wins over Chuck/Tito/Vitor.

I would say Randy/Gonzaga would apply. Gabe was a young hungry killer fresh from decapitating the favored CroCop.

Good call on Tito/Bader.

Dont care about the boxing ones.

Im thinking more along the lines of when a young superstar comes along. Such as Jones/Aldo/Rory. My fault for not clarifying, but I definitely should not have said never.

Quote Originally Posted by !purerockfury! View Post
    eh, I should have said rarely, but Shogun/Hendo definitely does not apply. Shogun might be younger than Hendo, but in fighting years they are about the same. Shogun has been in just as many wars as hendo.
    Nope. Dan was fighting for at least 7 years before Shogun, and i dont thinkI ever saw him in a "war" before Forrest 1. All his PRIDE fights that I remember were 1 sided beatdowns that ended in minutes except lil Nog.

i agree that it doesnt apply though. Shogun lost roids and hendo found TRT
    If Frank Mir had been in PRIDE he would be the GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Garth View Post
    Nope. Dan was fighting for at least 7 years before Shogun, and i dont thinkI ever saw him in a "war" before Forrest 1. All his PRIDE fights that I remember were 1 sided beatdowns that ended in minutes except lil Nog.
    Thats actually a pretty accurate statement.

I'll give you Wandy over Bisping slightly. I count Bisping as a veteran of the sport, but I guess that fight applies.

I wasnt thinkning back far enough to include Randys wins over Chuck/Tito/Vitor.

I would say Randy/Gonzaga would apply. Gabe was a young hungry killer fresh from decapitating the favored CroCop.

Good call on Tito/Bader.

Dont care about the boxing ones.

Im thinking more along the lines of when a young superstar comes along. Such as Jones/Aldo/Rory. My fault for not clarifying, but I definitely should not have said never.
    But see, there's some problems with the statement that the "young hungry fighter usually beats the old lion".

1) what is the definition of either one of them?? It's up for debate.

Is "old" old in fight years or regular years and in either case, how old in years or fights is "old"?? How young in years or fights is "young"

IMO Fitch beating Erick Silva is DEFINITELY an old Lion beating a young lion with a lot of hype. Fitch is 34 with 30 fights, Silva 28 with 18 fights and TONS of hype....that's a picture perfect example IMO.

2)....It's sort of a straw man argument if you say that it needs to involve a "young superstar" coming along...because...you see....that superstar became one by beating a whole number of different fighters, some of whom we might consider "old lions"...but they might beat them before they are even recognized as "super stars" so it goes without noticing.

So then these "superstars" do not count as losing to or beating "old lions" until they already have so many high level wins under their belt that them losing to ANYONE is unlikely.

There could be, and probably have been, many cases of a guy who COULD have in theory become a "superstar", who won a couple good fights but not enough to be warranted a "killer" like the guys you mentioned, but before they can even build up enough hype they are defeated by an "old lion"...and their hype is ended but again, we don't count it as an "old lion" beating a "young lion" but just an older fighter beating a younger dude who, had a he just won a couple more fights first, COULD have been a superstar.

So...yeah...might be confusing the way I stated it, but you see, if we are going by the standards of an "old lion" beating a young SUPERSTAR....again....by the time the fight between the two even occurs the "young superstar" has beaten so many fighters that his losing to anyone is unlikely, because he's been proven to be just "that good", if you get my meaning.

Another example I can think of is Jens Pulver beating Cub Swanson.

Swanson was fairly highly ranked I think and Pulver subbed him with a sick guillotine.
    Last edited by Toehold; 11-25-2012 at 12:59 PM.

I agree with all of that and it is a touchy subject that would be hard to debate.

I also like both of your examples

I agree with all of that and it is a touchy subject that would be hard to debate.

I also like both of your examples
    Yeah, definitely a complex and interesting debate.

Even using your examples of "superstars", IMO Hughes beating GSP the first time and also Serra beating GSP count as well.

+ Reply to Thread