+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Smashing Cats: A fat guy's fitness odyssey

Good luck with your goals and surgery Cat.

Thanks Baph, I feel dirty just being in here now.

STILL...100% Pure Hellbilly.

Abortion Inc.

What is your current weight catsmasher?

My cousin who is only 155lbs can bench 225 lbs with 10 reps, pretty crazy.

I'm going to start doing back squats again because I feel top heavy like I'm going to tip over.

I currently weigh in at 205. Most guys at my gym are stronger than me at the bench and squats. But, I am learning the correct techniques, and I am getting stronger each time out there, which is the only thing I can really control.

I used to hate squats, but now I love them. My legs have changed so much since I first started.

Today the diet was clean and my sleep was solid. By the time I got to the gym tonight I was not inspired. I blame the fact that I need a draft of my masters thesis done for a meeting with my supervisor tomorrow. It is stressing me out some, and really stuck in my head.

4x5 Push press at 80%, and I failed at four in the last two sets. My form falls apart after a few reps of this exercise. I think I am lacking the stamina in my core, and that my catching technique is inefficient.

Finshed with AMRAP of 78% shoulder press, which was damn brutal and really puts pressure on my inguinal hernias. No pain no gain I suppose. Makes for an awesome pump though.

Metcon was descending ladder, 10 Pull-ups, 10 wall ball... Basically died, but I finished in just over 8 mins, which I felt was a solid time.

Diet has been tight for the past couple of days. Down 2 lbs since Friday's weigh in, but it might just be a bit of water.

Yesterday was squat day, which I find is always best on a Monday when I have the most gas.

5@75%
    3@ 85%
    1@ 90%
    and 3x1-2 at 95%

Worked up to 245 for the last sets because I was feeling good, managed two reps each, which means I'm now certain I will be taking down my previous PR by the end of the month.

I was working with a lacrosse ball for massage in my rest periods which seems to be helping my hamstring mobility and keeping my calves from tightening too much.

The metcon was a bitch:

5min AMRAP - 5 burpees, 10 (24kg) KB swings (chin) - mangage 8
    4min rest
    5min AMRAP - 5 wallball, 5 box jumps (28in) managed 7 (faded hard on the box jumps)

BP
    5@75%
    3@85%
    1@90%
    I also got in two sets with 205 for 2 reps, which I was extremely happy with after those other working set. I will be attempting 215 in a week or so.

This is my current fave workout track

I'm starting to do dead lifts and squats for the very first time. Doing low weights for correct form.

I've been doing 185lb dead lifts at 5 sets, 5 reps and 135lb squats at 5x5.

Is that a correct set/rep? And how many lbs should I add every workout? 10lbs? I do it twice a week alongside upper body workouts.

That set up is the same as the "foundations" program at my gym. They say the goal is to raise it about 5% each workout, which in your case might be a bit much (since you're doing two workouts a week)

Once a month work to a 3RM, and after a couple of months try to establish a 1RM. They you can use the percentages offered in my routine.

Quote Originally Posted by BJPENNSTATE View Post
    I'm starting to do dead lifts and squats for the very first time. Doing low weights for correct form.

I've been doing 185lb dead lifts at 5 sets, 5 reps and 135lb squats at 5x5.

Is that a correct set/rep? And how many lbs should I add every workout? 10lbs? I do it twice a week alongside upper body workouts.
    those are big lifts, once you're adding weight, it's going to be pretty taxing on the body to perform both of those alongside upper body workouts, I'd consider splitting them up every other workout, I would combine one with bench press and the other with an overhead press, then add all the detail work you want

5x5 is a good starting set/rep range imo depends on your goals but now I like to increase the rep range before the weight, so I will keep the same weight until I can hit 5 sets of 8-10 reps before I increase the weight 2.5-5% at 5x5 again, this helps with progressive overload after you've been hitting those lifts a while, adding weight will get hard but hitting one more rep each workout can get you there a little easier

+ Reply to Thread