+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gruden to Tennessee

Default Gruden to Tennessee

Those are the rumors out there.

Would be a crazy good hire for us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Clay Guida beats Takanori "The Fireball Kid" Gomi by Submission (Gulliotine Choke) at 4:27 Rd 2

This sig was bestowen upon me by XXXvaletudoXXX

I remember the rumors that Notre Dame wanted him and he didn't bite on that job, so I can't imagine he ends up at Tennessee or Arkansas. Good luck though - I bet he would be an awesome recruiter and could bring Tennessee back to prominence.

I seem to recall BB having played at Tenn and he might be privy to info that we may not be. However; that said, Gruden's name comes up for every college program. It came up for aTm, ND, ARk, Ohio State, Tennessee # years ago, USC, etc. He has ties to ND, Ohio, and UT. I kinda get the feeling that if he were going to leave the booth to coach again, that he probably would've done it by now for one of those programs already.

He's still young (gotta be like just approaching 50??) and has only been out of coaching for about 3-4 years, but I kinda get the feeling he's pretty happy in the booth. He has a great gig there, is probably paid well, and has longterm job security and "brand" with the whole "Gruden's QB camp" thing. Tenn is a very good job though; good facilities, $$$, alumni enthusiasm, and tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner2 View Post
    I seem to recall BB having played at Tenn and he might be privy to info that we may not be. However; that said, Gruden's name comes up for every college program. It came up for aTm, ND, ARk, Ohio State, Tennessee # years ago, USC, etc. He has ties to ND, Ohio, and UT. I kinda get the feeling that if he were going to leave the booth to coach again, that he probably would've done it by now for one of those programs already.

He's still young (gotta be like just approaching 50??) and has only been out of coaching for about 3-4 years, but I kinda get the feeling he's pretty happy in the booth. He has a great gig there, is probably paid well, and has longterm job security and "brand" with the whole "Gruden's QB camp" thing. Tenn is a very good job though; good facilities, $$$, alumni enthusiasm, and tradition.
    Maybe you guys can help me here, but has any Coach who has won a Superbowl ever gone back to coaching college? I mean..if you are a hot commodity in the big boy leagues why would you move backwards to college? Once you have the ring for an NFL championship you already have all the cred you need to stay in the big boy leagues with the auto respect needed from the players to get your job done.

Not trying to rain on the parade here, but if Gruden goes to college level to Coach I would be shocked....
    The Underdog Challenge IX: Champion

No Superbowl winners have coached later in major ncaa roles. George Allen coached the redskins back in the 70's and lost a superbowl. He later coached in his twilight years at Long Beach State in an effort to bring that program to a step up in prominence, but that is obviously not a flagship program.

I can only think of two coaches who have won titles at both (Switzer and Johnson). They both obviously won in college first.

That said, I think the reason that most high level nfl assistants take college jobs insn't neccessarily that they can't hack it in the nfl, but rather that they just want to try something different. I don't think it's a linear thing. Not all college coaches aspire to move upward to the nfl. I think people want something different with unique challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner2 View Post
    No Superbowl winners have coached later in major ncaa roles. George Allen coached the redskins back in the 70's and lost a superbowl. He later coached in his twilight years at Long Beach State in an effort to bring that program to a step up in prominence, but that is obviously not a flagship program.

I can only think of two coaches who have won titles at both (Switzer and Johnson). They both obviously won in college first.

That said, I think the reason that most high level nfl assistants take college jobs insn't neccessarily that they can't hack it in the nfl, but rather that they just want to try something different. I don't think it's a linear thing. Not all college coaches aspire to move upward to the nfl. I think people want something different with unique challenges.
    I agree that a lot of these guys want different challenges but I cannot imagine any Coach (in their prime earning years) winning it all at the highest level with the limelight attached to it wanting to go down a level to "rah rah shishboom bah" at the college level with all the restrictions that come with it. Would you rather be the big fish in the small pond or one of the sharks in the ocean?
    The Underdog Challenge IX: Champion

He started his career coaching at Tennessee as a grad assistant, his wife was a Tennessee Cheerleader.

He has not said no yet, we have offered 8 years 51 million.

Tennessee is the only job that is open he would have interest, Notre Dame is the only other college job he would ever consider.

He still loves Tennessee.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Clay Guida beats Takanori "The Fireball Kid" Gomi by Submission (Gulliotine Choke) at 4:27 Rd 2

Also, in the NFL there is a salary cap, in college he can recruit the hell out of whomever he wants.

How many former NFL coaches are legends?

How many college coaches are?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I know I'd much rather be a college coach. They have way more power over their team and they tend to get a much longer leash when it comes to getting fired.

And at a place like Tennessee you can be a GOD!
    Jon Jones is the real deal. I Sven, beg for forgiveness from Mr. Bones for ever doubting him. Thanks for setting me straight Smoke!

Hes not going stop getting your hopes up Volnation will forever suck ass. He isnt a college coach and hes honestly vastly over rated he wouldnt even be a .500 coach in the nfl today

+ Reply to Thread