+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting BJJ

Default Revisiting BJJ

So today marked my first official class of BJJ in nearly a year after being sidelined with an injury. I have to say I felt pretty good. Rolled with a very good purple (should be brown soon) that had 15-20 lbs on me for nearly 15 minutes before he tapped me and my cardio didn't feel bad. I took a few minutes off and rolled with a solid blue (soon purple, he is sandbagging) and worked him. I have to admit that the purple was taking it easy on me and the blue is about 50 lbs lighter but I was happy as hell that I went through 20 minutes of moderately paced rolling without throwing up or sucking wind terribly.

That is probably better than I could do pre-injury which is great considering Ive put on ~ 10 lbs since then. Afterwards though, eff, I feel like I got hit by a damn truck. I am so freakin' sore it is ridiculous. Just figured I would start a thread documenting my progress, whether or not anybody cares or not.

I will say though that I am not feeling BJJ like I used to, I'm way more into western boxing but want to stick with it until I get my purple belt.

went back 3 weeks ago after being sidelined of knee injury 4 months ago. i still can't do things that i want to do so i'm developing my half-guard. no more dlr. still frustrating because i can't defend passes. i have non-existent open guard 7 i can't scramble for ****. thinking about it, i guess it's not smart going back to class this early. i admire your dedication to your recovery. i hope i don't make my injury worse than it already is.

i rolled with a purple who i rolled 2 years ago as a white. he's a beast. took the gold in the mundials at blue & is now a purple. after 2 years i rolled with him & my injury makes me move like a noob but i don't want other people to know about my injury. so i rolled miserably like i didn't improved in those 2 years he was gone.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

I feel ya, today I feel wrecked though, upper back is tight as hell and my neck is stiff as a son of a b!tch. I didn't respect my injury, I was still sparring boxing til around June and then it was just impossible b/c the pain was getting too bad to deal with...

floyd- what is your injury?
    will aRmbAr 4 cHeEseSteAk

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    floyd- what is your injury?
    two herniated disks at c5/c6 and c6/c7. Nerve impingement gave me radicular pain and numbness down to my left hand. Either the injury caused or it was always a there but one of the two led to partial paralysis of my serratus posterior muscle causing it to become weakened and my scapula wings off my back during certain exercises. This caused my neck muscles to bear the load of my stress and caused them to knot and tighten causing constant neck pain and headaches. I'm improving but the pain isn't subsiding right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd1982 View Post
    two herniated disks at c5/c6 and c6/c7. Nerve impingement gave me radicular pain and numbness down to my left hand. Either the injury caused or it was always a there but one of the two led to partial paralysis of my serratus posterior muscle causing it to become weakened and my scapula wings off my back during certain exercises. This caused my neck muscles to bear the load of my stress and caused them to knot and tighten causing constant neck pain and headaches. I'm improving but the pain isn't subsiding right now...
    squats or deadlifts?
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by boboplata2.0 View Post
    squats or deadlifts?
    As in, how did I hurt it? Drilling Peruvian neckties and my dumbass partner jumped on it and cranked like a retarded chimp opening a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd1982 View Post
    As in, how did I hurt it? Drilling Peruvian neckties and my dumbass partner jumped on it and cranked like a retarded chimp opening a banana.
    holy ****. i'm down with peruvian neckties but even in sparring i try to set up things slowly. when i got injured it was because of me being a dumbass. i could live with that. but if another person was responsible for my injury he's gonna pay. sorry to hear that. anyway, do you clasp your hands like an s-grip or you go for the gable for the peruvian?

Thank you for my fuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by boboplata2.0 View Post
    holy ****. i'm down with peruvian neckties but even in sparring i try to set up things slowly. when i got injured it was because of me being a dumbass. i could live with that. but if another person was responsible for my injury he's gonna pay. sorry to hear that. anyway, do you clasp your hands like an s-grip or you go for the gable for the peruvian?
    During this particular drill we had our right arm in deep through the neck and under the armpit, then gripped our wrist with the left hand. So we don't do a hand to hand grip, it is hand to wrist although I'm sure they are all "correct" ways, just slight variations. I haven't used a necktie since that injury though.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the dude acted like it was no big deal, kind of shrugged it like "it happens" type of attitude. I was originally shelved for about a month or two b/c I couldn't move my neck, same dude was pseudo-responisble for wrecking my neck again while he was "spotting" me on the bench press. Only two times I can ever remember my neck being injured and that jack-off was involved in both. I've decided that guy should never train with me again, I won't seriously cripple him but I will put his lights out whether we are rolling or boxing, he is going to sleep. He doesn't show much interest in it anymore and I don't really talk to him so it is a moot point now.

dude must've sensed that strike 3's about to go down.

Thank you for my fuzz.

+ Reply to Thread