+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Price over Verlander for the Cy??

Default Price over Verlander for the Cy??

I think its a bad call. Verlander is the best pitcher in baseball.

Agree completely, as I just said this in the Dickey thread.

I had Price third in the race with Verlander winning. He's the best pitcher in baseball.

Verlander led his team to the World Series!!!!

The voting system is messed up. Verlander got robbed.

Verlander is the best pitcher in baseball. But, as a Tigers fan, I can still see a good case for Price. The award is just about 2012 and for 2012, Price's W/L is significantly better and the ERA is a little better. Considering Price played in the East, isn't that quite an accomplishment?
    Send lawyers, guns, and money... the shit has hit the fan.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjn-VGXlEsU

The East wasnt that good and Verlander had the better stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bak3d View Post
    The AL East had 3, 90 game winners. No other division had that.

The east was CLEARLY the best division in baseball. And thats the only reason i gave Price any consideration.

Price takes a huge hit for his team not even making the playoffs. Should have went to Verlander, hands down. But Price had a straight nasty year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bak3d View Post
    Which stats? Innings pitched?

I love watching strikeout pitchers, but I'm not sure that getting a guy out by a strikeout is any better than getting a guy out by a weak grounder or a fly ball, so long as no runs are scored (and there's already a stat for runs allowed).
    Send lawyers, guns, and money... the shit has hit the fan.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjn-VGXlEsU

Verlander has more strikouts and 6 complete games vs 2 for Price. Verlander has a very slight lead in batting average against and whip, while Price has 3 more wins and a slightly better ERA. Price also held batters to a lower slugging percentage but Verlander held batters to a lower on base %. Every category is very, very close.

One thing to note is that Verlander pitches in a much more hitter friendly park (9th versus 23rd). The stats are a lot closer than I thought though and Price was awesome in the 2nd half. Plus Price does pitch in a stronger division.

Now, looking more closely at the stats, I can see an argument for Price that is pretty strong. He led the league in wins and ERA so that may have been the factor that got him the votes.

I agree Verlander got snubbed. However there are 4 or 5 pitchers in the NL that could have won it and I would have had no problem with any of them getting it.

+ Reply to Thread