+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Manchester City Marathon

Default Manchester City Marathon

Sharing fall marathon race. Was supposed to run NYC Marathon until it was canceled and got into a backup marathon in my hometown. Was shooting for a Boston Qualifying time for 2013, 3:05 for my age group, but came up 10 seconds short. Think the course was long as my GPS had me running 26.64 miles instead of the standard 26.2, not sure if I'm going to petition to see if they can give me the 10 seconds so I can register for Boston in 2013.

Course overall is brutal, over 1,300ft of elevation gain over the course and it was windy as well. Happy with my performance but was hoping to get the qualifying time. Was training to go sub 3 hours at New York but I knew this Manchester course is tough so I scaled my goals back in hopes for qualifying for Boston.

Looking back I think I could have hammered some of the flat sections harder but thought I was comfortably under the qualifying time so didn't push till I saw the clock at mile 25 and it was on a uphill with a 20mph head wind at my face. Splits are below, basically 7:05 pace would put me at 3:05 finish time and through 26 miles I was averageing a flat 7:00 pace that should have put at 3:03 finish.

Live and learn will get it next time.

1 6:48.4 1.00 6:48
    2 7:01.1 1.00 7:01
    3 7:02.8 1.00 7:03
    4 7:05.4 1.00 7:05
    5 7:02.8 1.00 7:03
    6 6:41.8 1.00 6:42
    7 7:02.1 1.00 7:02
    8 7:03.9 1.00 7:04
    9 6:57.6 1.00 6:58
    10 7:05.4 1.00 7:06
    11 7:02.8 1.00 7:03
    12 7:05.4 1.00 7:05
    13 7:13.3 1.00 7:13
    14 7:00.3 1.00 7:00
    15 6:59.1 1.00 6:59
    16 7:06.5 1.00 7:07
    17 6:53.9 1.00 6:54
    18 7:07.1 1.00 7:07
    19 6:44.4 1.00 6:44
    20 6:56.7 1.00 6:57
    21 7:13.5 1.00 7:14
    22 6:57.3 1.00 6:57
    23 6:44.8 1.00 6:45
    24 7:00.4 1.00 7:00
    25 7:03.2 1.00 7:03
    26 7:06.3 1.00 7:06

Impressive. Best of luck

Wow you are a fast runner. Best of luck
    Last edited by HatTrickMike; 12-03-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    sig

Thanks guys.

Took the last 3 weeks off and went on an eating bender. Dropped way too much weight during training and had to put some back on before I dove back into a base training phase. Back up to average weight and looking at the Los Angeles Marathon in the Spring for my Sub 3 attempt.

Have not come to a decision yet but I may be posting my training log in here to keep me honest about my workouts. Do not think there are many runners on the forum but it might be nice for someone to see a training schedule who is thinking about a marathon.

154395_377900335625258_1199511419_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Archive View Post
    Thanks guys.

Took the last 3 weeks off and went on an eating bender. Dropped way too much weight during training and had to put some back on before I dove back into a base training phase. Back up to average weight and looking at the Los Angeles Marathon in the Spring for my Sub 3 attempt.

Have not come to a decision yet but I may be posting my training log in here to keep me honest about my workouts. Do not think there are many runners on the forum but it might be nice for someone to see a training schedule who is thinking about a marathon.

Attachment 673
    I'd love to keep up with your log. I'm probably not doing another triathlon until next September, but I'm thinking about doing some runs in the Spring. I'm terrible with sticking to a particular running schedule, I usually just go out and run as much as I feel I'm up for.
    Underdog Challenge V Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Archive View Post
    Thanks guys.

Attachment 673
    I'd definitely be interested in seeing what you're training schedule looks like as you go along. I've just signed up for the Barcelona marathon in March next year. My first ever marathon! I did my first ever half-marathon in July this year, after my first ever 10km in May.....and am now hooked!

that is just insane, I don't think I can run 1 mile at 7 minutes..

can anyone help me a little here, does progressive overload apply to conditioning? I've been trying to run/do more cardio but I feel a little lost in how to actually improve my conditioning, I feel like hell every time I do anything, so it's hard to tell if I'm actually improving, should I just track distances and times and slowly try to increase both?

Quote Originally Posted by warriorsoul View Post
    that is just insane, I don't think I can run 1 mile at 7 minutes..

can anyone help me a little here, does progressive overload apply to conditioning? I've been trying to run/do more cardio but I feel a little lost in how to actually improve my conditioning, I feel like hell every time I do anything, so it's hard to tell if I'm actually improving, should I just track distances and times and slowly try to increase both?

Not sure what you mean by progressive overload. Best thing to do is track time. It sounds like you are running at too high of an intensity too frequently in your schedule if you feel like crap every time you run. Go by time on your feet and start running 30 minutes 4 times a week at a manageable pace, by manageable I mean you can talk and are not gasping for breath.

You will see improvement quickly and will notice you are covering more distance if you are disciplined and do not exceed your current aerobic threshold. Biggest mistake newer runners make is thinking that in order to get faster you need to run faster. Slow it down and concentrate on on your breathing and enjoy your time outside. Your endurance gains come from the amount of time you spend in your aerobic range and not how many miles you can pound out. Gradually build the amount of time you go out every 3 weeks and I would hold off on any speed training until you can go out for an hour and not feel like death.

You will start to enjoy running more once you have an endurance base and it's amazing how your body starts to lock in.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dasmike View Post
    I'd definitely be interested in seeing what you're training schedule looks like as you go along. I've just signed up for the Barcelona marathon in March next year. My first ever marathon! I did my first ever half-marathon in July this year, after my first ever 10km in May.....and am now hooked!
    Barcelona will be awesome. Definitely jealous, have only ran two marathons and unfortunately they have both been the same one in a relatively small city.

+ Reply to Thread