+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Early national champions

^^^^ The Miss State example is dead on.

Mississippi State was definitely a paper tiger. You also made a fantastic point. MOST SEC teams don't play a very grueling OOC schedule.

The biggest problem here is pre-season rankings. Let's be honest: most people don't move up over another team in the rankings unless you have an outstanding, marquee win, or the other team in front of you loses.

If #1 and #2 in the preseason win out, every other team in D-1 essentially played 12-13 grueling weeks for nothing unless both teams were winning by like 3 points over the likes of some bad opponents. Think back to when Auburn didn't make the title game: simply because they were unranked in the preseason.

Get rid of the preseason rankings and only rank until about 3-4 weeks in.
    Last edited by XFactah416; 11-14-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Curious why we the SEC need a OOC schedule? Just look at the BCS we have more top 10 spots than any other conference? 6 in the top 10...just saying OOC is for terrible conferences?

For Florida we havent had a offense since USCE our starting oline is injured also our starting QB went out with a high ankle sprain in that game the backup whos seen 3 snaps total and they were hand offs in the UK game got put in. UF doesnt have good offensive talent meyer left us with nothing on that side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactah416 View Post
    Get rid of the preseason rankings and only rank until about 3-4 weeks in.
    I had never really thought of this, but it is spot on. I would even go so far as to say wait until the halfway point, like after week 6. At least by then every school will have at least 2, if not 3 conference games, and more than likely will have faced at least 1 quality opponent.

I'm also for delaying rankings. Throwing teams a bone simply because of the conference they are in is flat out stupid.

Anyone think Stanford can offer a fight against Oregon? Stanford played well against USC (win) and Notre Dame (loss) but I don't see how their secondary can keep up once those oregon skill players get past the line of scrimmage. Oregon is going to score a lot so Stanford needs to play great offensive football and wear them down. The guy that replaced Luck looks pretty damn good and they can run the ball. The spread is 21 so no one is giving Stanford a chance. I am thinking this game could be close but Oregon will eventually be too much and that speed will make it impossible for Stanford to outscore them. 45-35 type game.

KState @ Baylor should also be entertaining. Baylor can score and plays well at home, so this could be a real test.

USC vs UCLA should be a shootout and I may go (offered free tickets). I always root against USC so that's a solid game for this weekend.

Notre Dame vs Wake Forest? Bleh - Irish win but maybe Wake keeps it within 3 scores. Can't get excited for that game.

Stanford's QB that replaced Luck (Josh Nunes) already got replaced by another QB. The QB situation at Stanford isn't that good and Stanford struggles to score on the road. I can see a close game at the half but Oregon will win going away like usual. Stanford has a shot if they can ground and pound Oregon and control the ball but Oregon is so explosive that one miscue will cost you dearly. I see something like 41-17.

USC vs UCLA is the intriguing game of week. Interested in seeing if UCLA has caught up to USC.

This week, I do think Stanford has a small chance. Oregon has reported widespread injuries on D. Evidently their starting NG and his backup are both out, and a safety has been hurt with questionable status. For Stanford to have any chance, they have to run huge amounts of clock while running the ball and using their usual playaction pass game utilizing their huge TE's. This could be the week, if any, that they are able to accomplish this against Oregon. It's an interesting game. I would predict that Stanford will keep it close like mentioned above, but if Oregon gets a turnover or two and a spark here or there from special teams, it could rapidly become a 3 td lead.

I think KSU and ND both do what they need to do this weekend. In the sec, Bama and Georgia have "directional" sacrificial lambs, so they'll not change in the rankings.

UCLA is really having their way with USC. I'm a little surprised. USC is clawing back now, but this was on the verge of being a blow-out.

LSU is struggling again. Very inconsistent. Their record looks ok, but if you've actually watched them week-in, week-out, they've had big stretches of extremely unimpressive football.

OK State is thrashing #23 Texas Tech. Up 21 a halftime. Should be good for a nice jump up in rankings which means OU vs. OSU will be something like #10 vs. #18.

The mighty SEC.

Quite an impressive win by Florida beating Jacksonville State. Outgained them by 100 yards and pulled away in the second half to win 23-0.

HUGE win for #9 South Carolina. Tied with Wofford in the 4th quarter, the highly talented Gamecocks pulled away to win 23-7. What heart!

#7 LSU in a battle with the all powerful conference foe Mississippi. Same team Texas beat at Mississippi by 35.

I enjoyed the UCLA beatdown of USC. Fck Lane Kiffin. I hope that bum gets fired if Notre Dame beats them and I do think Notre Dame matchs-up well. UCLA was able to have success with the USC defensive front and I think Notre Dame with an athletic QB and run game can do the same. But, if Notre Dame wins it means an undefeated team might be sitting on the sideline which sucks.

KState is going to score 50 on Baylor tonight.

LOLSU is having HELL with an unranked team in their own stadium. Ole Miss just shanked a long field goal, so with 4 min to go in the game it remains tied. I'm sure LOLSU will eek out a 1 pt. win somehow with 4 seconds to go and remain solidly in the national top 5.

So, it's Florida all over again. Top 10 ranked SEC team comes from behind with seconds to go in the game to beat an unranked opponent on their home field and remains ranked in the top 6 nationally.
    Last edited by Baphomet3; 11-17-2012 at 06:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread