+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Baph - Olympic lifting

I find that whole sentiment strange... Want to lift heavy? Use big muscles...

I almost never train my chest, because push press, and burpes are all that you need. 450+ deads? another huge number, putting me to shame

Same here.

Push-ups
    Overhead press
    Push press
    Jerk variations

I haven't bench pressed in two years.

Also, fuck burpees.

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet3 View Post

Also, fuck burpees.
    I always joke that these and kipping chins are for guys under 175lbs, just brutal.

Kipping chins I can eat alive. I've done 40 unbroken. Burpees make me want to puke after about 15 or so. I also don't like how I feel fatigue quickly and end up in weird, sloppy body positions when I do burpees. If I'm doing very many or doing them as part of a WOD I end up flopping around and, I feel, reenforcing some poor movement patterns. I also have not done burpees in a long, long time now.

I treat it like a sprawl, and use that imagery to get a smooth rhythm.

I am currently enjoying the phase of fitness where pacing and tempo are controllable, and measurable, which helps me keep things optimal.

I suck so bad at chins and pull ups, I think i have weak arms, and I still have about 10-15lbs of gut that doesn't help with anything

I really like the concept of burpees. Huge transitional movement with lots of moving parts and body control. The application, such as I've come to know it, is more than lacking. It's like the film Prometheus: phenomenal in theory; hideous in execution.

Messing around tonight. Here's the early portion of the workout. Some of the clean and front squat + jerk drive technique might be helpful.

videos are helpful baph, nice stuff. is that your home set up? i wanna do something like that. are those rubber mats on just a garage floor?

i have been busy drilling and squatting; squats are going great. i've got more drive and pop at the top of my front squat, it feels good, but my clean still needs a ton of work. i do think, however, that i've made good progress on my jerk.

I gotta work on my cleans and overhead squats first and foremost now.

I read greg everett's olympic lifting for sports this week and i watched his dvd yesterday. there is definitely a lot of stuff i was missing, so i am really gonna work from the ground up to try and put this stuff together correctly
    will aRmbAr 4 cHeEseSteAk

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    videos are helpful baph, nice stuff. is that your home set up? i wanna do something like that. are those rubber mats on just a garage floor?

i have been busy drilling and squatting; squats are going great. i've got more drive and pop at the top of my front squat, it feels good, but my clean still needs a ton of work. i do think, however, that i've made good progress on my jerk.

I gotta work on my cleans and overhead squats first and foremost now.

I read greg everett's olympic lifting for sports this week and i watched his dvd yesterday. there is definitely a lot of stuff i was missing, so i am really gonna work from the ground up to try and put this stuff together correctly
    Everett is a good coach. One of the best descriptive and clear communicating guys out there. I'm not a fan of his programming, but his instruction is excellent. I also like Rippetoe, mostly; for the programming and not the technical instruction. Pendlay, Kyle Smith to a lesser extent, but he is successful, and Burgener are ok as well. I am not a real fan of the guys we have in Colorado Springs (USAW coaches). For real technical advice I look overseas, though. China, Iran, and Russia are the most dominant and successful systems out there right now. Our (my) system is based on Tommy Kono, arguably the greatest American weightlifer of all time who trained my coach while he was stationed in Hawaii, and then later on the insignts gained from Boevski (BUL) who trained in Moore, OK, for a few months back in the late 90s.

And yes, my set-up is rubber, 3/4" horse stall matting covering my garage floor with one sheet of birch as my platform in the middle there. You can drop dumbbells and kettle bells and bumper plates and it's easy to keep clean. Pretty convenient.

First lifting session in a while. Shoulder is crashing hard. I hit some bench press for the first time in . . . I don't know, maybe 2 years last weekend and I already feel tight and uncomfortable in the chest and arms. The left shoulder just caves under the slightest bit of pressure. I end up with a packed shoulder in the left and an active shoulder in the right on nearly every overhead catch.

Here you'll see me progress from 60 kgs (132 lbs) up to 110 kgs (242 lbs) with what looks and feels like pretty good movements and speed other than the nagging inactivity in the left shoulder gurdle.

Last edited by Baphomet3; 11-19-2012 at 08:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread