+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Baph - Olympic lifting

I would encourage you (any) to be as critical as possible if you see anything or have questions. I am far, far from techical mastery and always eager to learn or examine different observations.

What I'm doing right now is mace bell-style movements with a sledge hammer to promote mobility/stability in the joints individually as well as uni-lateral supports and carries. Essentially I want to load the body asymmetrically and then move. Can do this with dumbbells, kettle bells, or even bands. Lunging, RDLs, swings, ground to overhead, farmers carry, etc. The asymmetry really activates core stabilizers and proprioception/balance.

I also want to work a lot of overhead squat, snatch balance, and sots presses and work on keeping the activated shoulder technique applied to both sides. I got in a groove a couple weeks ago and really got if figured out. I could feel my chest extending at the top of the 2nd pull and then my shoulders reaching as I caught and rose with the weight. Felt fantastic. Hit really pretty lifts all day. And then you get into a competiton setting and you revert back to what you know. It's gonna take some time but the injury is healed and the technique is getting a foothold. Won't be too long now.
    Last edited by Baphomet3; 11-12-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Some of today's warm-ups: Snatch balance up to 107 kgs

Been doing pretty much nothing but squats, whether it be overhead with a PVC pipe, light from squats, or moderate weight back squats. I've been favoring front squats so I decided to start doing some heavy(ish) back squats so I can develop more strength where I need it, the front squats have definitely helped stabalizer my core but I can't go but so high in weight b/c my body isn't even used to me going that deep into a squat.

Without intending to I've put on ~ 7 lbs over the last month and change. Legs do t shake violently when I go deep, so that is good. Be a while before I can even make it to the mid 300s on even back squat but I'm not gonna let it discourage me, it's like I just started lifting this body part b/c of the crap 1/4 squats I used to do....

Dude, a 300+ lbs back squat is monstrous for a guy your size.

Functional strength: It used to mean something.

Quote Originally Posted by CatSmasher View Post
    Dude, a 300+ lbs back squat is monstrous for a guy your size.
    I'm 6' 3" and ~ 210 lbs, I consider that a weak squat, especially since I can bench that much.... Just wish I would have started so much younger, if I would have been squatting like this for the last 12 years, I could imagine how best I would be...

Wish in one hand and shjt in the other and tell me which one fills up first.

6' 3" is a tall squatter. If you were a competitive lifter the first thing I'd tell you to do is pack on 30 lbs and then let's revisit this little song and dance and see if we can't get a double body weight squat out of you before it's all said and done. But, at 210 lbs and with a good bench press, you're really out of excuses.

You will have a breakthru at some point. Just stay focused. Stay hungry. Stay creative.

Floyd, I confused you with someone else in this thread.

Still, those are savage lifts... 300+ lbs bench? dayum

I echo the other sentiments though, which I had been doing this stuff sooner... but, its never too late.

I wouldn't wager much money that I could go in and do a 300+ lb bench press tonight. That's a good push.
    Last edited by Baphomet3; 11-14-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet3 View Post
    Wish in one hand and shjt in the other and tell me which one fills up first.

6' 3" is a tall squatter. If you were a competitive lifter the first thing I'd tell you to do is pack on 30 lbs and then let's revisit this little song and dance and see if we can't get a double body weight squat out of you before it's all said and done. But, at 210 lbs and with a good bench press, you're really out of excuses.

You will have a breakthru at some point. Just stay focused. Stay hungry. Stay creative.
    Oh I'm with you. I'm not getting discouraged b/c I really do think of it as starting to lift for the first time, I can feel the muscles around my groin/hip/pelvis going "what the fyuck, we aren't used to this sh!t" when I go deeper than parallel. I was fooling myself when I used to lift and went "parallel" when in reality there was no way I was even close to that.

WHen I first started sqautting for realz this go round I had 135 lbs on the bar and shook like a little girl once I went deep but even since then I can feel a vast improvement, I think I will improve quickly, I can already notice my legs are getting thicker at a rapid rate. I went from barely getting parallel to getting below parallel with 150 more lbs than I could do ~ 2 months ago.

I also used to have a 475 lb deadlift but I also think that the huge discrepency b/w my squat and deadlift was that b/c of my longer arm, I was able to start my deadlift in a squat position just above parallel. I've also worked my legs more in the past 2 months than I have in the last year and a half. If I'm not back squatting, I'm front squatting, if I'm not squatting I'm doing kettlebell swings, if not swings than box jumps, if not jumps than sprints or agility drills. I am more flexible than I have ever been, my core and legs are stronger than they have ever been.

I'm just not as explosive (used to be able to flat foot dunk with two hands, without a pivot step) or I am as explosive but also carrying around an extra 40 lbs than I was back then. My bench also isn't as heavy but I don't care, I don't even bench that much any more, maybe every other week just b/c it is a good staple in my strength program. Even then I try not to go too heavy anymore b/c I'm still rehabbing my shoulder and doing what I can to enable myself to be able to perform cleans.

I'm with you on the bench mentality of guys. My brother was bragging about this guy benching 380 lbs the other day and I was like, "yeah but how much does he squat or deadlift, does he do anything else" and the answer was an obvious "I don't know, probably". Those are the guys that show up at the gym with windbreakers on b/c they don't want people to see they are rocking the chicken legs, they just want to get under a heavy bar to brag to their friends.
    Last edited by Floyd1982; 11-14-2012 at 01:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread