+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Baph - Olympic lifting

That's unfortunate. Hope recovery goes well. Agree with Cat: don't panic, do what you can, listen to your body.

We had a closed meet up here last weekend. 15 lifters. Fun little deal. We'll have video out soon. This one went MUCH better than the last.

Snatch
    127 (280 lbs) - caught and dropped. Would have been a state record at my weight.

Clean and Jerk
    138 - missed jerk, but felt good so jumped on up
    144 (317 lbs) - caught high and lost it forward - think I wasn't expecting to catch it this high and I was still out over the bar too far . . . dunno.

So, actually, on paper, not great, but strangely feel ok about this because the lifts FELT really good and I only missed a 1 kg snatch PR and a state record by a HAIR and then pulled 144 about sternum high and just lost my center of gravity forward. So I missed through minor technical flaws; not because the weight kicked my ass. I can live with that. Had I hit all my lifts I would have had a 1 kg PR on snatch, a 1 kg PR on clean and jerk, and a 6 kg PR on total with 271, just 6 kgs shy of the qualifying total for the American Open in Palm Springs, CA next month. Soooooo close.

Usually being that close would eat me up, but again, somehow I feel ok with this. Gonna take some time off as I said, make some programming adjustments, really work mobility and strength over the winter, and come back in 2013 and crush this shjt into a living death.

I'll post the video when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet3 View Post
    First things first, I would totally bone that asian chick...

Secondly, Baph, can you explain the 2nd portion of the pull when doing a clean in a little more detail? The hip drive and pull before you settle in for the catch? I think I'm having some problems with the mechanics of "popping" and pulling. I've heard some say it is like a shrug, or like a front row, I'm not sure. Can you detail it a little more?

I don't want to say what it's about, because it's about something different for different people. Young, old, long femur, strong back . . . it all depends. I would teach a combo trunk whip/jump to hoist, yes I fucking said hoist, the bar violently up before lifting the knees and pullling under with the arms/lats to catch and control in a deep front squat. Or, as Donny Shankle put it: clean the bar like you're ripping the head off a goddamn lion . . .

That works, too.

I'm tall, 6'3" with long legs and shorter arms w/ a weakish lower back b/c of lordosis that I'm trying to work out. So when you say whip, I'm coming to close to knee level and then accelerate from there and pop my hips like I'm effing the bar while semi-"jumping" and pulling hard like an upright row/shrug before performing the catch?

When I say whip I mean violently extend the hips like you're trying to headbutt someone behind you in an asweomse 80s bar fight movie. After liftoff you'll be leaning out over the bar with a big hinge in your waist. The scoop starts as you trunk whip to pull your torso upright. This movement also creates re-bend in the now nearly-straight knees, setting you up for a jump to "finish" the trunk whip with a vertical push. So you're pulling the **** out of the bar with your back/butt and then pushing the bar with your quads/calves all at once. Should accelerate the bar dramatically and create lift and hang time, during which you lift your knees and pull yourself under to catch the weight.

Here's my work-up:

Snatch @ 70, 80, 90, 100, 115, (121 is shown in above highlight), and then 127 - fail

what do you think accounts for the angle of the bar overhead? Do you have have shoulder or hip issues there?

I see you did have a left shoulder issue, and I wonder which came first.

I've been doing that for about a 18 months now. It's getting better. At least . . . it *feels* better. Had a real nasty left soulder injury about 18 months ago. This is why it's packing. Previously, I've either torn or badly strained rotator cuffs on at least three occasions, always benching. Incidentally, I haven't bench pressed in over a year and I've never felt better. But, only in the past few months has it felt good again.

When I'm overhead, I have an active shoulder on the right and a packed shoulder on the left, meaning the shoulder sits down in the joint as opposed to being pushed up and elevated. When I overhead squat it doesn't happen. It's just when I catch the bar. I'm working on it. We'll see what happens. Note that when I missed that final attempt at 127 kgs its a failure in the left shoulder/elbow that loses the bar. The lift itself wasn't bad at all and I actually caught it a bit high. I'm probably good for 130 on the pull if I can deepen and stabilize the catch.
    Last edited by Baphomet3; 11-11-2012 at 04:27 PM.

I did notice that Rem, but its hard to be critical when your technique looks so clean otherwise. I am not a pro but it did seem clear where your form broke down under the heavier lift.

What mobility techniques do/did you use for your shoulder?
    Last edited by CatSmasher; 11-11-2012 at 07:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread