+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: CBA Talk

So, who's boycotting?

My excuse? For the last 4 years, I've given the NHL/NHLPA $0.00 and had to suffer through plenty of illegal streams, especially through the '11 playoffs. I'm just happy to be back where I can turn on the TV and catch a game without any other worries. I ain't going to any games. Good luck in Vancouver anyway.
    The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
    -- Camus

I'll be honest, I will likely go to a few games, but I never buy merchandise anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sonzai View Post
    So, who's boycotting?

My excuse? For the last 4 years, I've given the NHL/NHLPA $0.00 and had to suffer through plenty of illegal streams, especially through the '11 playoffs. I'm just happy to be back where I can turn on the TV and catch a game without any other worries. I ain't going to any games. Good luck in Vancouver anyway.

Just looking on my fb I think all my friends are just like me...Too big of fans of hockey and their teams not to watch, but are going to give the NHL no extra money by going to games or buying merchandise for this season.
    23-3 at Avatar/Sig/Self Ban

We don't have any NHL teams within 6hrs drive of the area I live in. I have to laugh at the indignant pose some of my acquaintances have taken vis a vis the NHL and players being greedy. If you're Joe Average and watch almost 100% of your hockey at home on the TV then WTF are you proving by boycotting the NHL? What exactly did these guys owe you? I can maybe see being pissy at the NHL and players if you spend a lot of $$$ going to the games, buying concessions and memorabilia...but even then you paid for a product and received it (game or t-shirt)...do they owe you something more? I dunno, maybe I'm missing something here.

Quote Originally Posted by zakath View Post
    We don't have any NHL teams within 6hrs drive of the area I live in. I have to laugh at the indignant pose some of my acquaintances have taken vis a vis the NHL and players being greedy. If you're Joe Average and watch almost 100% of your hockey at home on the TV then WTF are you proving by boycotting the NHL? What exactly did these guys owe you? I can maybe see being pissy at the NHL and players if you spend a lot of $$$ going to the games, buying concessions and memorabilia...but even then you paid for a product and received it (game or t-shirt)...do they owe you something more? I dunno, maybe I'm missing something here.
    They don't owe us anything, but people should rightfully expect consistency and continuity from the businesses they patronize. An effective boycott would give the NHL something to think about when this new CBA ends and maybe ensure no further labor disruptions. And even by watching hockey on TV at home, you are putting money in the NHL's hands in the form of advertising revenue, aren't you?

Part of my mockery of the 'boycotters' stems from my belief that the vast majority of them are simply blowing steam and don't have the strength of their convictions - they won't go through with it. I tend to think the owners took a calculated risk with the lockout and the endgame we just saw was fated based on what happened during the last CBA disruption - they knew they could take it this far but losing the season wasn't going to happen. They'll piss off some hardcores but they'll be back.

Oh...and yes, I suppose as a TV viewer I am indirectly contributing to the NHL via ad revenues. However, going on FB and telling everyone on my news feed that the players are greedy so I'm not going to watch isn't effective. Believing in it enough to organize 100k-1M people not to watch...that's different.

Far as I see it, you have two choices, geographically. The Habs or The Bruins........is that even a difficult choice?

Come over to the Dark Side

Last edited by PatSox; 01-07-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatSox View Post
    Far as I see it, you have two choices, geographically. The Habs or The Bruins........is that even a difficult choice?

Come over to the Dark Side
    NEVER!!! I've been a Pens fan since Mario was stomping all over the competition with his sidekick Jammer Jagger. The only way I'll cheer for the Habs or Boston is if they happen to be playing Vancouver.

I tend to think the owners took a calculated risk with the lockout and the endgame we just saw was fated based on what happened during the last CBA disruption - they knew they could take it this far but losing the season wasn't going to happen. They'll piss off some hardcores but they'll be back.

It's not the hardcores they should be worried about...It is all those casual fans. This isn't like the last lockout. This time people are completely fed up. I read on tsn yesterday that the brand value of the NHL and its teams has went down about .5 billion $.

This isn't like the last lockout. People are genuinely pissed off this time. Going to take a long time to get back to where they were with all the momentum they had...
    23-3 at Avatar/Sig/Self Ban

Quote Originally Posted by airjasper View Post
    This isn't like the last lockout. People are genuinely pissed off this time. Going to take a long time to get back to where they were with all the momentum they had...
    Hardcores are pissed off. Casual fans are apathetic. This isn't like the last lockout...this time there's going to be a season, a playoff run, and the Stanley Cup awarded which will make a lot of people forget about the lockout.

When the lockout started I read (...I'm sure you probably did too) a number of articles saying the season wouldn't be lost - it would be salvaged at the 11th hour in January because the owners knew they couldn't lose a season due to the repercussions that would result. Looks like that's exactly what happened.

+ Reply to Thread