+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: CBA Talk

Quote Originally Posted by math is hard View Post
    If the owners could just keep themselves from fucking each other over, couldn't they just agree amongst themselves to limit contracts to 5 years? Or is that some form of collusion?
    That's what I was thinking. Tell the players they could sign contracts for 100 years if they wanted but just never offer more than 5. But on the other hand, all it takes is one owner to say "**** you" when in the middle of a bidding war with another team over a player and offer him a deal longer than 5 years.

Bigger picture, if the League really wants t fix their overall problem and avoid having this happen every time the CBA is up, they need two things

1: Take teams like the Coyotes, Panthers and Blue Jackets out of their failed markets and move them to places like Hamilton, Quebec and Seattle

2: Improve their revenue sharing percentage.....by A LOT

The revenue sharing in the NHL is a bad joke. Teams like Toronto, Boston, Chicago, New York, Montreal, Detroit, Vancouver and Philly make hundreds of millions every year, while a higher percentage of teams break even or actually lose money. In some cases a lot of money......which is why the NHL is pretending they want to negotiate a deal. This lockout was planned to save those floundering teams money

But, if that's their problem, and they know it, then why not adopt a system closer to the NFL or NBA where the Richer teams help the poorer teams stay afloat for the good of the league? Because greedy fucks, like my teams owner, Jeremy Jacobs won't have that. To a guy like him, the hockey team is just another entity among many. Another asset on his fiscal check list. He could care less about the good of the league, the good of the game, the players and most certainly the pissant fans

Instead he and these other old hawks, show up at the table, make their demands, hold their hands to their ears and go "la la la la la. I can't hear you. La la la la la, I'm leaving, bye"

Fucking hopeless

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Crown View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Tell the players they could sign contracts for 100 years if they wanted but just never offer more than 5. But on the other hand, all it takes is one owner to say "**** you" when in the middle of a bidding war with another team over a player and offer him a deal longer than 5 years.
    They couldn't do that as it would make them liable for collusion. It's the terms of the CBA that allow the collusion that already exists (rookie salary caps, etc). Anything not detailed in the agreement that even smells like collusion would get their asses sued off in an anti-trust case. And no, i'm not pulling a jackel who claims to know everything. I got this from an article on TSN by their legal guy who did a really good job of explaining a lot of the legal issues.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    They couldn't do that as it would make them liable for collusion. It's the terms of the CBA that allow the collusion that already exists (rookie salary caps, etc). Anything not detailed in the agreement that even smells like collusion would get their asses sued off in an anti-trust case. And no, i'm not pulling a jackel who claims to know everything. I got this from an article on TSN by their legal guy who did a really good job of explaining a lot of the legal issues.
    Oh no, I trust your source and everything. And it makes perfect sense. I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    Yeah, that makes total sense.

So yesterday I was buying a gift for this gift exchange me and my friends were doing...Picked up something from the NHL...Was walking to go buy it then was like wait a minute, screw this. I'm not supporting them at all. Put it back on the shelf.

Anyone else do something similar? Go out of your way not to buy something NHL?

I thought i'd look up some video game sales...During the 2004-2005 lockout, sales dropped that year by around 400k copies. NHL 13 is down 550k copies, granted 2012 has been out a year longer...
    23-3 at Avatar/Sig/Self Ban

Quote Originally Posted by airjasper View Post
    So yesterday I was buying a gift for this gift exchange me and my friends were doing...Picked up something from the NHL...Was walking to go buy it then was like wait a minute, screw this. I'm not supporting them at all. Put it back on the shelf.

Anyone else do something similar? Go out of your way not to buy something NHL?

I thought i'd look up some video game sales...During the 2004-2005 lockout, sales dropped that year by around 400k copies. NHL 13 is down 550k copies, granted 2012 has been out a year longer...
    I didn't buy NHL 13 this year. And I've bought that game every year for as long as I can remember. I think going back to Sega Genesis days hahaha.

If there is a season and I go to a game, I won't buy any concessions. Because Jacobs owns that shit too........and the building........and the concessions at a bunch of other buildings. The guy is filthy stinkin rich. Hockey means nothing to him, yet HE'S the leader of the owners board

Ridiculous.....look at him.......he looks like Gargamel for christ's sake. Pure evil. My only regret with the Bruins winning the Cup is that HE got to put his scaly hands on it

Last edited by PatSox; 12-24-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Ya I read about him before...Wasn't he one of the owners to attend the selective players/owners meetings? I just remember reading a bunch of people saying how pointless those meetings would be with Jacobs there.
    23-3 at Avatar/Sig/Self Ban

Quote Originally Posted by airjasper View Post
    Ya I read about him before...Wasn't he one of the owners to attend the selective players/owners meetings? I just remember reading a bunch of people saying how pointless those meetings would be with Jacobs there.
    Yeah, he is the hardest of the hard liners. Take it or leave it. He's the first one who got up and walked out, the day all the players where saying they thought it was a done deal

He's been hated here for a long time. Before the Salary Cap, he was famous for having the highest ticket prices in the league and the lowest payroll. A really wonderful guy

+ Reply to Thread