+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: CBA Talk

I don't know what to think anymore...

From the way the players talk it just seems like there HAS TO BE something the general public is not hearing about. They all talk about how the owners aren't coming their way at all, but when we see their proposals it sure seems like they have been.

All I know is it looked like they got very close to making a deal when Bettman and Fehr weren't involved.
    23-3 at Avatar/Sig/Self Ban

Ken Dryden had a good piece in the Globe and Mail yesterday:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/to-understand-this-dispute-you-have-to-follow-the-pride/article6065334/

In part pride is playing a factor. The players got bitch slapped in the last agreement and don't want it to happen again.

Obama's message to the owners and players:

Quote Originally Posted by PatSox View Post
    Do the Bruins still do those funny commercials with the bear? They showed a few during a Pens/Bruins game one time on Root Sports(Pit station that broadcasts Pens/Pirates games) and they had me crackin the hell up.

More cancelled games...I think the next time they cancel it will be the entire season.

Fehr really screwed the players over as far as i'm concerned. Even if the players got the original deal they wanted they will never get back the money they have lost.

I really hope the league and players realize that the big pile of money they were fighting over is going to be significantly less when they do start it back up again.

Apparently January 15th is the point of no return.

Quote Originally Posted by math is hard View Post
    Apparently January 15th is the point of no return.
    Sounds about right.

1993-94 lockout ended on January 12th, and a 48 game season started on January 18th. So, while the chances are looking very bleak, I guess there is still a tiny bit of hope left.

Also, not sure if this is true, so maybe someone can verify. I heard that during these negotiations, the owners made an offer to the players giving them pretty much exactly what they wanted, but Fehr told them he could get them an even better deal and advised them to turn it down. Is that true? If so, **** that guy. He ruined MLB, and now he's on his way to doing the same thing with the NHL.

This was the deal they were going to accept but Fehr told them not to as he could get them more.

The league's offer Wednesday night offered a raise in money devoted to the 'make-whole' provision. The number in the latest offer jumped to $300 million, up from $211 million in the league's previous offer. The players had previously asked for $389 million, making the owners' latest offer an exact middle ground between the previous offer and the players' demands. However, of that proposed $300 million only $250 million would go towards a 'make-whole' provision with the remaining $50 million going towards pension funding that would not come out of the players' share.

The proposal submitted was for a 10-year term for the next CBA with an opt-out clause after eight years. The rules governing unrestricted free agency and salary arbitration would remain unchanged from last season. The league did not budge on its request for a five-year term limit on player contracts and held firm to a maximum year-to-year salary variance of five per cent.

The league's offer did, however, offer an exception on contract lengths for the re-signing of free agents. Teams would be allowed to re-sign their own free agents to contracts up to seven years in duration.

So basically the league wanted a 5 year contract length max, players wanted 8....With the leagues offer you could still sign a 7 year contract assuming it's with your current team...League wanted a 10 year cba agreement, players wanted 5....

And the make whole provision the league went up to $300 million which is exactly the middle ground between the 2 sides. I feel very confident in saying that if the players hired anybody other than Fehr we would be watching NHL this season.

Quote Originally Posted by airjasper View Post
    This was the deal they were going to accept but Fehr told them not to as he could get them more.

The league's offer Wednesday night offered a raise in money devoted to the 'make-whole' provision. The number in the latest offer jumped to $300 million, up from $211 million in the league's previous offer. The players had previously asked for $389 million, making the owners' latest offer an exact middle ground between the previous offer and the players' demands. However, of that proposed $300 million only $250 million would go towards a 'make-whole' provision with the remaining $50 million going towards pension funding that would not come out of the players' share.

The proposal submitted was for a 10-year term for the next CBA with an opt-out clause after eight years. The rules governing unrestricted free agency and salary arbitration would remain unchanged from last season. The league did not budge on its request for a five-year term limit on player contracts and held firm to a maximum year-to-year salary variance of five per cent.

The league's offer did, however, offer an exception on contract lengths for the re-signing of free agents. Teams would be allowed to re-sign their own free agents to contracts up to seven years in duration.

So basically the league wanted a 5 year contract length max, players wanted 8....With the leagues offer you could still sign a 7 year contract assuming it's with your current team...League wanted a 10 year cba agreement, players wanted 5....

And the make whole provision the league went up to $300 million which is exactly the middle ground between the 2 sides. I feel very confident in saying that if the players hired anybody other than Fehr we would be watching NHL this season.
    If the owners could just keep themselves from fucking each other over, couldn't they just agree amongst themselves to limit contracts to 5 years? Or is that some form of collusion?

+ Reply to Thread