+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chipper OWNS over the hill Moyer

The 'Stick..you know, the NFC Championship Game

Default Chipper OWNS over the hill Moyer

Chipper rips Moyer over sign-stealing accusation
    3:47 pm May 6, 2012, by David O'Brien

DENVER – After being accused by Rockies pitcher Jamie Moyer of stealing signs during Saturday night’s game, Braves third baseman Chipper Jones acted like anything but a lion in winter.

He roared all right – and kept roaring Sunday morning, lashing out at Moyer for questioning Jones’ integrity.

But Jones also showed again how much hitting ability he retains, driving in five runs with his third consecutive three-hit game to help the Braves rally from a 6-0 deficit for a 13-9 win Saturday.

“It got us all motivated. He woke a sleeping giant,” Jones said. “We didn’t do much before that point, and after that point I believe we scored 11 run. Everybody [on the Braves] knew what was going on.”

Jones was at second base after hitting an RBI double in the fifth inning that cut the lead to 6-2. Television cameras showed Jones and Moyer exchange words while Moyer stood the mound, set to throw a 3-and-0 pitch to Brian McCann. Jones said the 49-year-old left-hander accused him of relaying the catcher’s sign to McCann.

“What incenses me is that I’m having a conversation with the shortstop [Colorado’s Troy Tulowitzki], not paying attention to [Moyer], and I get accused basically of cheating,” Jones said Sunday morning, before the series finale. “And that’s wrong. I’ve never accused him of doctoring a baseball or out-milligramming somebody.

“That just doesn’t make sense – it’s a 6-2 ballgame and a 3-0 count. My hitter is taking no matter what in that situation. Because we play the game right. And he thinks I’m giving signs? He’s paranoid.”

When approached by two Atlanta reporters Sunday in the Rockies clubhouse and asked about the incident, Moyer said, “I’ve got no comment.”

Well, Jones had plenty.

At one point, he rose from his seat in the visitor’s clubhouse Sunday to demonstrate.

“I literally am standing on second base and I’m talking to Tulo, and I turn around and [Moyer] is coming set,” he said. “So I get ready and take my lead, and [Moyer] goes, ‘I see you.’ And I go, what the [bleep] do you see? What the [bleep] are you talking about?’ I go, ‘I was [bleeping] talking to your shortstop. And he said something else with his back turned, like he yelled but didn’t face me. I go, that’s [bleeping] B.S. And I turned around to Tulo and Tulo’s like [holds hands up].”

Tulowitzki was asked Sunday about the incident.

“Moyer said something,” the shortstop said. “I think exactly how Chipper said it is how it happened. I think Moyer accused him of giving locations. All I can tell you is that Chipper and I were just talking, and I didn’t get any sense that he was relaying anything.
    No one knows the truth. You can look at it from both sides. On Moyer’s side, who’s going to say, ‘Yeah, I was giving locations’?

“So yeah, you can see both sides. But for me, [Jones] wasn’t doing anything.”

Tulowitzki also said he understood why Jones would be upset.

“Put yourself in his shoes – if you’re accused of something and you know you didn’t do it, you’re going to be fired up,” he said.

When Moyer came up to bat in the bottom of the fifth inning, Jones said the pitcher stepped out of the batter’s box and had a message for Braves catcher McCann.

“What really kind of gets under my skin is the fact that he told Mac, ‘That’s how people get hurt,’” Jones said.

Jones said Moyer’s comment to McCann upset him. Later on the field he spoke to Rockies first baseman Todd Helton and Tulowitzki about it “because [Moyer] was already out of the game by then, after those 900-foot homers with nobody on base – I said he could meet me in the tunnel and discuss it if [he would] like, and I never heard back.

“I don’t know what he was thinking. I’ve never relayed a sign from second in my entire career. And Tulo said his signs are so complex that NASA couldn’t steal them.”

The long home runs Jones referenced were back-to-back longballs by Matt Diaz and Jason Heyward off Moyer to begin the sixth inning, which served to open the spigot for the Braves offense. Diaz’s homer was an opposite-field shot – rare for him – that was conservatively estimated at 422 feet, and Heyward’s was a 445-foot blast to the bullpen just to the right of straightaway center.

Tyler Pastornicky followed Heyward with a single to chase Moyer from the game, and the Braves went on to score five runs in that inning and four more in the next for a 12-8 lead. Jones had a two-run single in each of those innings.

Jones matched a career high with his 18th five-RBI game, and first since turning 40 last month. He is the second Brave to have at least five RBIs in a game after his 40th birthday. The first was Babe Ruth in 1935, when he had six RBIs and the last three homers of his career in a game for the Boston Braves.

Moyer saw his ERA jump from 3.14 ERA to 4.01 after allowing 10 hits and season-highs of six runs and five earned runs in five-plus innings.

“I tell you what, the next time we face them I’ll stand with my back to him, and see what he says then,” Jones said. “What’s his excuse going to be when he gives it up then? I mean, dude, we don’t need signs, especially for him. I mean, my goodness, every pitch is 78 [mph]. Come on.”

Jones was correct about the rest of the Braves knowing what was going on between him and Moyer during the game.

“Jamie’s been known to be a little paranoid before. It’s just one of those things where it made absolutely no sense in the situation. And like Chip said, [Moyer] is one of those guys where giving pitches is really going to help. You’ll end up chasing out of the zone. If you’re sitting change-up and you get it, you’ll end up chasing it out of the zone.”

Diaz said many major league teams make a practice of stealing and relaying signs, but not the Braves.

“To be honest with you, I’ve tried to get the Braves to relay signs from second ever since I got here, because every other team I’ve been on does it,” Diaz said. “And Chip’s the reason we don’t. He’ll say ‘no, we don’t do that.’ So it’s funny that he got called out on it. Ironic even.”

“I’ve never asked for a location, I’ve never asked for a pitch, and I’ve never given one.”

----------------
    Moyer: OWNED by the Braves and then shredded by Chipper verbally. hang em up Moyer. You suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveBear View Post
    Iowa B!tch.............you want daddy, you got him...ima Beat your punk azz...then make you lick my taint for good measure. /Video will ensue

Is it weird that Tulo basically took Chipper's side here? A 'no comment' or 'I don't really know what happened' would have sufficed. Kinda strange.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For sure in that situation tulo wasn't being a good teammate. He should of looked at chipper and said quit stealing his ****ing signs

That's an awesome article. I'm surprised to hear Chipper never steals signs but I believe him. Tony Gwynn said everyone steals signs from 2nd base but I guess Larry doesn't do it.

**** Moyer - what a whiner. Chipper has a ton of great zings in this.

The 'Stick..you know, the NFC Championship Game

Maybe Tulo just really ****ing wants Moyer gone?
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveBear View Post
    Iowa B!tch.............you want daddy, you got him...ima Beat your punk azz...then make you lick my taint for good measure. /Video will ensue

Grew up a Braves fan, and I didn't think I could like Chipper more than I already did. That was hilarious. One of the greatest Braves ever.

+ Reply to Thread