+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to Jerry "The King" Lawlers commentating skills?

Default What happened to Jerry "The King" Lawlers commentating skills?

I haven't watched pro wrestling in a LONG, LONG time. Since about 2005 or maybe even earlier than that. Since then, I've seen wrestling here and there and only tuned in to watch certain wrestlers that I love to watch perform or the Divas (pro wrestling women or ****ing HOT, I might make a thread on that). So, this past Monday I was watching Monday Night Raw with my brothers, and I was listening to JTK commentating and it was just so bland, so boring, so corny and so eyeball rolling!! He was a complete shell of what he used to be. I remember he was more of a heel/anti-face type of commentator. I used to tune in sometimes to hear him commentate and he used to make the most boring matches entertaining with his commentating. He was more edgy and silly, now, he's just ridiculously.....Zzzzz....Zzzzz....Zzzzz.

What the hell happened to him? Did he do a Shawn Michaels and get a little Jesus juice in his life or something? He's a complete face and is always sucking the dicks of faces now. BIG TIME, it's just too much face luvin.

Kings been a face for a long, long time....Cole is the heel of the announce crew

I don't know if it is still true, but from what I read many years ago the broadcasting crew is controlled down to their shoelaces by Vince backstage. Literally he has them wired in to where he will be telling them what to say from his room backstage. Now that he is more of a reduced role in the broadcasts and seems to be turning things over (day to day) to HHH I'm not sure if the same is true. As for Lawler....I imagine he's just doing whatever it takes to keep that paycheck coming in. Pretty sure he watches the other old timers like Flair and whatnot who come in and get destroyed both in the ring and in the politics backstage then get booted out of the company and end up destitute or dead. I'm sure he is a good company man so the same doesn't happen to him.
    The Underdog Challenge IX: Champion

Quote Originally Posted by (v2)ROVPitViper View Post
    I don't know if it is still true, but from what I read many years ago the broadcasting crew is controlled down to their shoelaces by Vince backstage. Literally he has them wired in to where he will be telling them what to say from his room backstage. Now that he is more of a reduced role in the broadcasts and seems to be turning things over (day to day) to HHH I'm not sure if the same is true. As for Lawler....I imagine he's just doing whatever it takes to keep that paycheck coming in. Pretty sure he watches the other old timers like Flair and whatnot who come in and get destroyed both in the ring and in the politics backstage then get booted out of the company and end up destitute or dead. I'm sure he is a good company man so the same doesn't happen to him.
    This is correct. Mick Foley goes into detail about this in one of his books. Apparently, he and Vince got into a huge argument about how he was commentating and it led ot Mick quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphs56 View Post
    Kings been a face for a long, long time....Cole is the heel of the announce crew
    They have "goodies" and "baddies" in wrestling commentating?!

Quote Originally Posted by OliG83v.2 View Post
    They have "goodies" and "baddies" in wrestling commentating?!
    And have since...well since I started watching in the lat 70s.

Jesse Ventura, Bobby Heenan, Larry Zybisco. Pretty much whenever there was a two man crew, one sided with the heels.

As for Lawler, he was never that great. His ability to be juvinile in the "Attitude" era was entertaining, "PUPPIES"! and all, but until I die, I will never understand how Lawler got over anywere at any time.
    A Black Belt is just a White Belt who didn't quit.

Speaking of Vince, he was really good in the booth. I wish he could put aside the Mr McMahon stuff and just call matches straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardWarrior View Post
    Speaking of Vince, he was really good in the booth. I wish he could put aside the Mr McMahon stuff and just call matches straight up.
    That Mr. McMahon stuff was as important to the heyday of the Attitude Era as Stone Cold. That character may be the greatest heel the business has ever seen. Vince for whatever else he may be has some giant cajones when it comes to putting it on the line in his own business. There is no single wrestler who can put his resume next to Vince's IN THE RING and say "I had more impact on the sport than you". The WWE/WCW war was huge....Hulkamania in the 80's was huge...Stone Cold in the 90's was huge...but Vince's "Mr McMahon" character was just as if not more so important than any of them. Remember the WWE was LOSING in the ratings to WCW until "Mr. McMahon" came along to oppose Stone Cold and guys like the Rock. That business stayed alive because of it...

All I am saying is that I wish he would just go back to being just Vince and calling matches NOW, not what he did in the past, which was incredibly important.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardWarrior View Post
    All I am saying is that I wish he would just go back to being just Vince and calling matches NOW, not what he did in the past, which was incredibly important.
    I don't know...with Vince at ringside at the announcer's table he would be involved no matter what and it would take away from a pure announcing gig for him. No matter what he would be drawn in to what is going on. Plus I think the lower to mid tier wrestlers' performance would suffer big time with Vince sitting right there where they could hear him. Its one thing to be chewed out in the back if you sucked...quite another to have him verbally raping you as you are performing your match. Could lead to some bad consequences for the newer wrestler and their development.

+ Reply to Thread