+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ed Herman vs Jake Shields at 150 in Denver

Solid match-up. As has been noted, Jake's MW record is pretty impressive and Ed has looked good in the last year.

This could be a great fight, or it could be the world's sloppiest ever kickboxing match!

Jake by UD.

shields should win by split or ud but this ain't no gimme. herman has looked good recently. this is a great fight. it would be a real feather in Ed's cap if he wins.

Ed by whatever he wants...
    The Underdog Challenge IX: Champion

Rov, are you drunk?

Jake is going to grapple **** Ed and will probably submit him. Shields by whatever submission he wants. Ed is scrappy, but he lacks the striking that Jake struggles with and will eventually get taken down.... repeatedly.

I think Shields takes this, but I'm banking heavily on him looking revived by a return to 185.

I lean toward Shields but as others have noted: yes, Herman is an unusually tough SOB. Doubt he can match Shields skill-wise, and Shields (despite that blitz by Ellenberger) usually doesn't wilt either. He survived that first-round thrashing from Hendo, and that's pretty impressive.

Herman isnt insanely good at any one skill, but he's more than solid in a few particular trades of the game. I dont think Shields subs Herman, however, the thought of a very small weight cut for Shields after a few at 170 makes it tough to bet against him.

Herman will light Shields up standing given his chin, toughness and overall ability to dish out a wide variety of strikes. So I have to think Jake will look to take him down early and often. Well Ed is pretty crafty with his wrestling and BJJ too, I have no doubt he can hang down on the ground, but the question is can he do enough standing to win the judges..I doubt it. Probably another Shields win like against Akiyama...ftr, I have absolutely no idea how Akiyama was not awarded that victory. This fight will be close, but I still think Akiyama clearly beat Shields.

+ Reply to Thread