+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how hard is playing rugby on the body?

Default how hard is playing rugby on the body?

i'm thinking of learning & playing this sport on the weekends. any experienced player here? got any tips? I could see rudimental grappling & wrestling techniques could work.

what position am i gonna be good at? i am fairly athletic & once run for almost an hour uphill, i teach submission wrestling in the evenings as well. i do lack explosiveness though & just at 150 lbs.

the sport is catching up locally & our team just qualified to compete with the big boys in asia & can go to the qualifiers for the world cup. i think this could break the monotony of just training submission grappling & would be better than just running for fitness. how often do injuries occur compared to other sports?
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

You are pretty small for the game at a top level I'd say.

Alot of the guys I know that play rugby are around the 100kgs/220lbs mark, in varied positions (second row, centres, and fullback).

Injuries range from bumps and bruises and cuts, knee ligs through to concussions. Most of my friends have been lucky in regards to injuries, with mainly bumps and bruises, (only one needing a knee op so far).

Hope that helps a little.
    everyone had one thing before they lost......a chance

Quote Originally Posted by austmma View Post
    You are pretty small for the game at a top level I'd say.

Alot of the guys I know that play rugby are around the 100kgs/220lbs mark, in varied positions (second row, centres, and fullback).

Injuries range from bumps and bruises and cuts, knee ligs through to concussions. Most of my friends have been lucky in regards to injuries, with mainly bumps and bruises, (only one needing a knee op so far).

Hope that helps a little.
    this would only be for recreational purposes. no chance in hell i would compete even locally. & i'm taller/bigger than most around here. hehehehe. although i saw some local players in the city & they're on the chunky side. i'm just worried about my back & my knees.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

It's ok, it's just bumps and bruises you'll get plus, like any sport there is a risk of other injuries like ACL, broken bones. But it's actually pretty safe.

150lb isn't big for rugby at all but then you lot tend to average about 110lbs don't you?! Lol.

Have you thought of playing 7s rugby? Far more running and space than full 15 a side rugby so less tackling, getting trampled on, etc.

It's a very fun game, but there is a LOT to learn if you want to play in a team. But for a mess around then it's great. Go on YouTube and watch some 7s (ie: 7 a side) highlights. Would really help with your explosiveness if you'd like to improve that?!

Do you know what position you'd play? At 150lbs you'd be limited some what.

Good luck and let me know how you get on?

*waits for jackel*

Quote Originally Posted by OliG83v.2 View Post
    It's ok, it's just bumps and bruises you'll get plus, like any sport there is a risk of other injuries like ACL, broken bones. But it's actually pretty safe.

150lb isn't big for rugby at all but then you lot tend to average about 110lbs don't you?! Lol.

Have you thought of playing 7s rugby? Far more running and space than full 15 a side rugby so less tackling, getting trampled on, etc.

It's a very fun game, but there is a LOT to learn if you want to play in a team. But for a mess around then it's great. Go on YouTube and watch some 7s (ie: 7 a side) highlights. Would really help with your explosiveness if you'd like to improve that?!

Do you know what position you'd play? At 150lbs you'd be limited some what.

Good luck and let me know how you get on?
    thinking of the 7s as well. i am probably lighter than most recreational rugby players here. will join a club in the near future.

Thank you for my fuzz.

Look at scrum half then if you're still lighter than most guys. It's not a bad position to play as 15 a side although you can have the flankers trying to take you out! It's a cat and mouse game between scrum half and flankers!

Or if you're really fast then winger.

7s is amazing, I used to play a fair bit. Can be really creative with your running, is incredible for fitness as you're still playing on a full size pitch! Will help explosiveness too, although you'll have to do loads of sprint and direction change drills.

But when you do a step and send your opposition the wrong way before sprinting right round him and the length of the pitch it's the best game in the world!

When you're at the bottom of a ruck and a 300lb man is standing on your neck, it's not so fun!

Overall go for it bobo, you'll have fun.

rolled with a buddy of mine who plays competitive rugby. his shoulder is messed up! he didn't finish the allotted time due to his shoulder still in pain.

Thank you for my fuzz.

+ Reply to Thread