+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Greg Jackson Creates Belt Ranking System for MMA

Thank GOD we have the Almighty Jackson to show us the way.

We as a whole, would truly be lost without him. Praise the Holy, that we have been given the light, fore we would have been doomed otherwise.
    Last edited by LiddellBback; 04-18-2012 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMABri View Post
    Belt ranks are just another way for these gyms/schools to make money. Its been a scam for traditionalists since martial art schools first opened. Was only a matter of time before before MMA jumped on that cash train too. So we now have $45 board shorts, $30 rash guards, $200 for sparring gear, $200+ BJJ gi's, and now $30 to $50 belt testing fee. In addition to your monthly school/gym fee.
    don't get me started on ibjjf fees. disgusting.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

Too funny - much as I don't like the Diaz bros I do agree with some of their post fight rants about how fake some "black belts" are that they have fought and this kind of thing from Greg Jackson isn't going to help the cause. I realize the guy is trying to make a buck and kudos to him for that, but I think I may be muting broadcasts in the near future because I don't want to hear Joe screaming "He's a LEGIT black belt under Greg Jackson".

On a sidenote I wonder what the test is going to be for black belt under Jackson...they set up 5 rounds against a sparring partner and you have to win 3 of those rounds and get a decision?

/sigh
    The Underdog Challenge IX: Champion

Quote Originally Posted by (v2)ROVPitViper View Post
    On a sidenote I wonder what the test is going to be for black belt under Jackson...they set up 5 rounds against a sparring partner and you have to win 3 of those rounds and get a decision?

/sigh

lap time .
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

The only thing belts are good for is holding up your pants~Bruce Lee

Any legit martial arts school shouldn't charge students for testing. The only thing a student should pay for is the actual cost of the belt, which is minimal. A lot of schools recycle belts. When a student is promoted, they give their old belt back and another student gets it who just got promoted to that rank.

Of course, there are schools all over, in every style/art, that charge students for every possible thing they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Budo View Post
    Any legit martial arts school shouldn't charge students for testing. The only thing a student should pay for is the actual cost of the belt, which is minimal. A lot of schools recycle belts. When a student is promoted, they give their old belt back and another student gets it who just got promoted to that rank.

Of course, there are schools all over, in every style/art, that charge students for every possible thing they can.
    I don't agree with returning the belts... I was in martials arts as a kid. I had belts with stripes and honestly held pride in the stains (literally blood, sweat and tears) and withered condition of some. i still have mine sadly =/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Greg Jackson is the Phil Jackson of MMA.

he's hit the jackpot with Jordan and Kobe on his team. dude has GSP and Jones fallen into his lap after he pushed aside Rashad, Condit, and Diego.

now he's doing a scheme to cash in before his fortune ends.

We have a belt system implemented for Muay Thai under Master Cordeiro. It was created in Brazil in order for Muay Thai to be licensed and MT schools to be opened. Basically shows students where they are at and gives them goals to push for and improve. Testing is done once a year and you are not guaranteed to rank up. So if Jackson uses this the right way it will be great. However if it become like a belt system similar to Karate and you just pay the fee then that’s not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    We have a belt system implemented for Muay Thai under Master Cordeiro. It was created in Brazil in order for Muay Thai to be licensed and MT schools to be opened. Basically shows students where they are at and gives them goals to push for and improve. Testing is done once a year and you are not guaranteed to rank up. So if Jackson uses this the right way it will be great. However if it become like a belt system similar to Karate and you just pay the fee then that’s not so good.
    your school has a belt system for MT? intersting...i've trained for over 11 years and i have never heard of anything like that. how exactly does it work?
    “And now...farewell to kindness, humanity and gratitude. I have substituted myself for Providence in rewarding the good; may the God of vengeance now yield me His place to punish the wicked.”

+ Reply to Thread