+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Technical Questions

In regards to software, is Adobe Lightroom the way to go for digital editing? It seems a hell of a lot cheaper than the current Photoshop program.
    The road is solitary and long and the tolls must be paid with blood sweat and effort.
    So pay freely and travel proudly

Quote Originally Posted by Str8loco1 View Post
    In regards to software, is Adobe Lightroom the way to go for digital editing? It seems a hell of a lot cheaper than the current Photoshop program.
    i've heard nothing but good things, but i don't think it is a replacement for photoshop
    “And now...farewell to kindness, humanity and gratitude. I have substituted myself for Providence in rewarding the good; may the God of vengeance now yield me His place to punish the wicked.”

Lightroom is a developing/processing program. PS is for editing. Sometimes LR is all you need though.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    i use photoshop for stacking (or taking the statistical mean of several exposures) - but only when there is too much contrast to capture the image in a single exposure (like an abandoned church where all the windows are smashed out and the contrast is too great to be captured in a single exposure). color saturation/focus is 95% done in camera (ocasional .raw touch ups (specifically for color abboration), but that's it).

i try to use photoshop as little as possible. since i do a lot of landscape (non moving subjects) i have the advantage of taking my time. so to get one specific photo, i may take 20 different exposures at different settings.

basically, my rule of thumb is if i go to a specific site and get one good photo, i consider it a successful shoot. i know that is the exact opposite is true in portraits. my cousin is a portrait photographer in sanfran who makes serious bank (she charges 20k to walk in the door for weddings) and has a resume a mile long, so i am going to try to improve that area of skill working with her, but unfortunately the urbex scene in northern cali is pretty lame.

i would like to incorporate models in some of the decay sites i go to but so far, it has been tough to find the right chicks. not to be an *******, but most of the women who have offered to go i wouldn't exactly want to 'hang a picture of in my living room'.
    Thanks Loki. I like the idea of models in your urbex stuff. Great ****n idea.
    EDIT: I'm stealing that idea.

I've seen it advertized as an editing program as well. Does it allow you to touch pics at all? Any airbrushing/clone stamping?
    The road is solitary and long and the tolls must be paid with blood sweat and effort.

I've seen it advertized as an editing program as well. Does it allow you to touch pics at all? Any airbrushing/clone stamping?
    crop, red eye removal, spot removal. That's about it.

Thanks for the info FightGame, Photoshop will probably be the best way to go then.

Quote Originally Posted by FightGame View Post
    Thanks Loki. I like the idea of models in your urbex stuff. Great ****n idea.
    EDIT: I'm stealing that idea.
    ha...let me see how the shots turn out!
    “And now...farewell to kindness, humanity and gratitude. I have substituted myself for Providence in rewarding the good; may the God of vengeance now yield me His place to punish the wicked.”

MMAWeekly Regular xxxVALETUDOxxx's Avatar

I've got a question about bracketing. I know the concept of it from my B&W film class. But when you apply that to the dslr, do you just use the bracketing feature or do you prefer to manually adjust? I guess I ask because I haven't quite figured out my bracketing feature. I'm hoping to have my nose in the manual quite a bit in the upcoming weeks and really get to know that camera.

Also, I know girls that model that would be willing to pose at most places for urbex, as long as it wasn't too gnarly getting in there. If you guys are ever in LA area and want to shoot, let me know. My girlfriends good friend is a great model (as far as look, being able to change her look around, knowing how to pose properly, experienced, etc...) that Im pretty sure would be totally into it. I feel that I still lack the experience to shoot someone like her as I don't really know how to finish the shots properly yet. But with some of your guys knowledge of both, shooting and editing, she would be a great girl to shoot.
    Proudly supporting: Equality, Work placement for all monetary handouts ,Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Welfare Drugtesting, Junior Dos Santos, Alessio Sakara, Blatant Video taping of all police arrests by the public to be put on youtube for all to see, Deep sea spear fishing, Edson Barboza, Bill Murray, Glover Texeria, Non-GMO, 100% organic produce , Chemtrail research and investigation, Boycotting Monsanto, Photography and Art programs in our school systems, Squirters

Quote Originally Posted by xxxVALETUDOxxx View Post
    I've got a question about bracketing. I know the concept of it from my B&W film class. But when you apply that to the dslr, do you just use the bracketing feature or do you prefer to manually adjust? I guess I ask because I haven't quite figured out my bracketing feature. I'm hoping to have my nose in the manual quite a bit in the upcoming weeks and really get to know that camera.

Also, I know girls that model that would be willing to pose at most places for urbex, as long as it wasn't too gnarly getting in there. If you guys are ever in LA area and want to shoot, let me know. My girlfriends good friend is a great model (as far as look, being able to change her look around, knowing how to pose properly, experienced, etc...) that Im pretty sure would be totally into it. I feel that I still lack the experience to shoot someone like her as I don't really know how to finish the shots properly yet. But with some of your guys knowledge of both, shooting and editing, she would be a great girl to shoot.
    As far as bracketing, I shoot everything manually. Much more control that way, but again it is very, VERY difficult to do it not using a tripod. Also this is one of the times that I use the LCD screen more than the view finder. I literally line up my shot on a tripod, start over exposed and move down using a 2 second timer so when I release the shutter there is no camera shack.

I might take you up on your offer vale, I'm probably moving out to SoCal in the next 6 months.

+ Reply to Thread