+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Technical Questions

Default Technical Questions

For anything technical having to do with photography, video and lighting. It happens here. I think we have enough self-proclaimed pros here. Ask away.
    Loki, What do you use stacking for, saturation, focus or what?

I did 2 semi-pro shoots last week at the New York Auto Show, I have questions based on the results. I'll post some pics and then ask the related questions.

Good thread idea!

Quote Originally Posted by FightGame View Post
    For anything technical having to do with photography, video and lighting. It happens here. I think we have enough self-proclaimed pros here. Ask away.
    Loki, What do you use stacking for, saturation, focus or what?
    i use photoshop for stacking (or taking the statistical mean of several exposures) - but only when there is too much contrast to capture the image in a single exposure (like an abandoned church where all the windows are smashed out and the contrast is too great to be captured in a single exposure). color saturation/focus is 95% done in camera (ocasional .raw touch ups (specifically for color abboration), but that's it).

i try to use photoshop as little as possible. since i do a lot of landscape (non moving subjects) i have the advantage of taking my time. so to get one specific photo, i may take 20 different exposures at different settings.

basically, my rule of thumb is if i go to a specific site and get one good photo, i consider it a successful shoot. i know that is the exact opposite is true in portraits. my cousin is a portrait photographer in sanfran who makes serious bank (she charges 20k to walk in the door for weddings) and has a resume a mile long, so i am going to try to improve that area of skill working with her, but unfortunately the urbex scene in northern cali is pretty lame.

i would like to incorporate models in some of the decay sites i go to but so far, it has been tough to find the right chicks. not to be an *******, but most of the women who have offered to go i wouldn't exactly want to 'hang a picture of in my living room'.
    “And now...farewell to kindness, humanity and gratitude. I have substituted myself for Providence in rewarding the good; may the God of vengeance now yield me His place to punish the wicked.”

MMAWeekly Regular xxxVALETUDOxxx's Avatar

I have a problem figuring out my white balance at times. What's a good rule of thumb to follow?
    Proudly supporting: Equality, Work placement for all monetary handouts ,Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Welfare Drugtesting, Junior Dos Santos, Alessio Sakara, Blatant Video taping of all police arrests by the public to be put on youtube for all to see, Deep sea spear fishing, Edson Barboza, Bill Murray, Glover Texeria, Non-GMO, 100% organic produce , Chemtrail research and investigation, Boycotting Monsanto, Photography and Art programs in our school systems, Squirters

Quote Originally Posted by xxxVALETUDOxxx View Post
    I have a problem figuring out my white balance at times. What's a good rule of thumb to follow?
    The basic rule of thumb is 3200 for tungsten an 5500k for daylight. The WB slider in lightroom and PS works like a champ. I often forget to set the camera but It's easily fixed in post. Lighting is critical however. 4500-4700k is good for overcast exteriors.

Quote Originally Posted by FightGame View Post
    The basic rule of thumb is 3200 for tungsten an 5500k for daylight. The WB slider in lightroom and PS works like a champ. I often forget to set the camera but It's easily fixed in post. Lighting is critical however. 4500-4700k is good for overcast exteriors.
    good call with the wb slider for raw...somoetimes when i'm out shooting, after 12 hours i forget to change the wb. 5am to 630pm is a long day of shooting, especially when you climb around like a monkey to get into these different places.
    “And now...farewell to kindness, humanity and gratitude. I have substituted myself for Providence in rewarding the good; may the God of vengeance now yield me His place to punish the wicked.”

Hey Loki, just so i understand this correctly, Stacking is getting the same photo with different exposures and using them as various layers for 1 photo? Kinda blending them together so they work?
    The road is solitary and long and the tolls must be paid with blood sweat and effort.
    So pay freely and travel proudly

Quote Originally Posted by Str8loco1 View Post
    Hey Loki, just so i understand this correctly, Stacking is getting the same photo with different exposures and using them as various layers for 1 photo? Kinda blending them together so they work?
    Pretty much.

I'm gonna have to try that. I keep seeing photos and think, how'd they get so much into one pic? I guess that's one trick to doing it. That whole urbex scene looks pretty cool. There isn't much of that down here in florida. Mostly swamp where i'm at.
    The road is solitary and long and the tolls must be paid with blood sweat and effort.
    So pay freely and travel proudly

Quote Originally Posted by xxxVALETUDOxxx View Post
    Its expensive but the Expodisc works amazingly for setting custom white balance.

+ Reply to Thread