+ Reply to Thread

Thread: KB Help

Default KB Help

I bitched out of posting largely because my job ran me into the ground. I was making money but at the expense of my health and sanity. I had massive sleep problems etc.

To save you the sob story i have a few questions.

Im building a No Excuse program for myself. adding workouts so that any time any place i can have something at the ready to keep me going. Since I cant take my barbell and bumpers with me everywhere i need a KB. I looked at adjustables etc since i dont know if ill ever need more than 1 or 2. I cant make up my mind about weight etc. Currently http://www.christiansfitnessfactory.com/ has a 15% off sale which makes them about $1 PP. + S&H. Also http://www.ironskullfitness.com look SICK.

So my question is this, based off of only planning on purchasing 2 KB should i go balls out and grab a 53 and a 70 pounder? or should i get 2 of the same weight. I figure with 2 different weights i can rotate each on squats etc. and eventually ill grow into rocking the 70 anyway. But i see a lot of same weight movements and wonder if that is ideal.

My current mobile war chest includes,
    a pair of adj. DB. And a military duffle bag to use as my sandbag. doorway chin up bar

If you have any other mobile suggestions much appreciated.
    Last edited by sedition; 04-02-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Those (53 & 70) are pretty heavy especially if you don't have experience with KBs. I'd start out buying two 35lbs KBs. That way you can start off with using one for swings and snatches, cleans, etc.. and work up to doing two handed snatches, two handed cleans, etc...

I wouldn't focus on heavy weight with KBs (especially starting out). Work on getting good form and then work on explosiveness (speed). You can up the reps and do the exercises in circuit form to up the intensity.

Buying such heavy KB will limit you exercises

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyThai View Post
    Those (53 & 70) are pretty heavy especially if you don't have experience with KBs. I'd start out buying two 35lbs KBs. That way you can start off with using one for swings and snatches, cleans, etc.. and work up to doing two handed snatches, two handed cleans, etc...

I wouldn't focus on heavy weight with KBs (especially starting out). Work on getting good form and then work on explosiveness (speed). You can up the reps and do the exercises in circuit form to up the intensity.

Buying such heavy KB will limit you exercises

Just my two cents.
    this is good advice,

however, if you are really strong

you should start with a 44lb to learn form/technique and build up to using two 53lbs. if you really can only get two kb's for awhile, then get two 44lbs.

i just looked at the link you posted, yeah those do look cool, but have you seen any reviews or know anyone with them?

just feels like the balance would be off, and cleans/snatches may not be very comfortable, i would personally stick to a traditional kb, but who knows, they may be great
    Last edited by raccoon; 04-03-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    will aRmbAr 4 cHeEseSteAk

FWIW. I can easily swing 53 for high reps. Im not worried about it. I read Mike Mahler's posts on heavy KB. And i figure WTF not. Im going to be using them on the road as much as possible.

Im not trying to be cocky when i say i adapt well. And i think 70 is obviously a challenge. But squatting 2 53's should be a good workout no matter what.

Ive read before about KB size variation. It's another thing to consider. But those look so damn cool im struggling to resist.

dude.. iron skulls are where it's at, I might get me a couple just to decorate the house with, I would get 2 of the heavier ones, like you said, you'll adapt and the harder it is to adapt the better imo so what if you struggle for a few weeks, it'll be worth it in the long run

yeah. i called the guy who sells em. for the price theyre not too far off from other brands. and since im only going to purchase 2 i dont see why not splurge and enjoy em.

i think 2 53's is ideal.

Awesome

+ Reply to Thread