+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Anyone have experience with Swai? Cheap as hell here and heard good things. Any suggestions on cooking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackel585 View Post
    Anyone have experience with Swai? Cheap as hell here and heard good things. Any suggestions on cooking it?
    I had to google Swai...found this for those like me who never heard of it:

"One economical option popping up at many stores is swai, which is native to Southeast Asia - Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia -- and sells locally for around $3.99 a pound. Since I knew nothing about swai, I asked Gavin Gibbons, a spokesman for the National Fisheries Institute, for a primer.

Gibbons explained that swai, along with basa and tra, two related varieties also appearing at more and more stores, belong to what’s called the Pangasius family and they’re similar in character to catfish. In fact, the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California, which has an authoritative site that tells you everything you ever wanted to know about the fish that end up on our dinner plates, describes swai as a river-farmed catfish, sometimes simply referred to in the U.S. only as catfish (be sure to look for country of origin labeling at the fish counter to determine whether your catfish is from the Mekong Delta or the Mississippi Delta).

Swai is a white-flesh fish (typically available in fillet form) with a sweet mild, taste and light flaky texture that can be broiled, grilled, or coating with bread crumbs and fried, according to experts. It can be prepared simply, but also takes well to sauces. A 3.5-ounce serving of plain fish contains around 90 calories, 4 grams of fat (1.5 saturated), 45 grams of cholesterol and 50 milligrams of sodium. Not bad."

STILL...100% Pure Hellbilly.
    American outlaw, since birth, till death.
    king of the derelicts
    i am honkey kong
    Abortion Inc.

I was introduced to it a couple of month ago by this lady at the fish counter at the supermarket. Its cheap and it compares to a sea bass.

I takes well to marinades. I marinaded it in garlic and spices, then breaded it and fried it. Good stuff.

Well the Swai was interesting. I can see what would make it a good dish, the way I prepared it for the first time was a letdown though. I pan fried it. If I just seasoned it and did it in butter it probably would have been better. Instead I covered it in a seasoned cornmeal mix. I can see how it would take marinades well, especially for a quick bake. I think next time though I'll actually deep fry it with a tempura batter if I can get my hands on an NO2 whipper

i bought mock meat yesterday & used it twice already. as long as you have equal part meat you wouldn't even know it's there. made bolognese today & i mixed half ground beef to half "ground" vege-meat. tastes lighter but basically still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by boboplata2.0 View Post
    i bought mock meat yesterday & used it twice already. as long as you have equal part meat you wouldn't even know it's there. made bolognese today & i mixed half ground beef to half "ground" vege-meat. tastes lighter but basically still the same.
    The fuk is "mock" meat made from?? Soy?? They made me eat that in jail, it blows, bad dude.

king of the derelicts
    i am honkey kong
    Abortion Inc.

MMAWeekly Regular xxxVALETUDOxxx's Avatar

Yes.

Marinade in just a bit of soy, ginger and garlic. Then bake.

Or...

Grill it after fixing it up however you like. I usually just use sea salt and let the meat speak for itself.
    Proudly supporting: Equality, Work placement for all monetary handouts ,Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Welfare Drugtesting, Junior Dos Santos, Alessio Sakara, Blatant Video taping of all police arrests by the public to be put on youtube for all to see, Deep sea spear fishing, Edson Barboza, Bill Murray, Glover Texeria, Non-GMO, 100% organic produce , Chemtrail research and investigation, Boycotting Monsanto, Photography and Art programs in our school systems, Squirters

Quote Originally Posted by CaveBear View Post
    The fuk is "mock" meat made from?? Soy?? They made me eat that in jail, it blows, bad dude.
    Its probably dog.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveBear View Post
    Add that to the list of things you were blowing in jail.

Boom.

^^^ oh snap

king of the derelicts
    i am honkey kong
    Abortion Inc.

+ Reply to Thread