+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MMA/BJJ/Thai-Boxing gyms in South East Asia

Default MMA/BJJ/Thai-Boxing gyms in South East Asia

I am currently living and training in China. I will be wrapping up my job in China in June and looking to travel South East Asia (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos) for 3 or 4 months before returning to the States. Looking to continue training and learn some cool sh** along the way. Thailand should be easy enough to find places to train, but haven't seen or heard of much in Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos. Anyone ever train or know anyone that has trained in SEA? Any suggestions would be sweet!

it's an honor to see you post here mr. gracie.

try the philippines, hands down the boxing capital of SEA.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

In Viet Nam, most people who train either Vovinam (native Viet Namese martial art), wu shu or western boxing. You might be able to find a gym for either. When I lived there we used to play pick-up b-ball at a sports complex that had a boxing gym: it was a large, cement-floored warehouse with no air conditioning (dry season=35-42C temps) no lights except for that coming from the (2) open doors and a lot of hard-ass looking tiny Viet Namese dudes. It was intimidating. I had a friend who had been an amateur boxer in England and he desperately wanted to join in but we knew no Viet Namese at the time and were quite sure they knew no English.

If you search, you can find something for Vovinam at least. It's the national sport (what muay Thai is to Thailand, Vovinam is to Viet Nam) so they are always excited to have a foreigner interested and willing to train. Vovinam is a bit of a hybrid style.

Anyway, check this out: http://www.goabroad.net/Brooklynmonk...e-martial-arts
    The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
    -- Camus

It's good to be back Bobo! I would love to get to the Philippines for some boxing and scuba diving. We will see.

sonzai: good looking out on the info for Vietnam. I would love to study some Vovinam. I have heard some decent things about this place as well (http://www.k1-factory.com/). Looking forward to traveling and training at as many gyms and in as many disciplines I possibly can while abroad.

I've travaled to the Philippines often. There are a couple Muay Thai gyms in Manila, and one in Angeles.
    "Once you go Asian, there is no other persuasion"

"I Train UFC."

Only for boxing?
    lolzz
    Don't mind... Actually, I know that the southern region of Asia is full with talent. India has
    remarkable talent in boxing. you should try there. regards
    Clarkston GYM
    Last edited by Deshawn; 11-26-2011 at 08:40 AM.
    nidat

+ Reply to Thread