+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 168 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 ... LastLast

Thread: ***The Official Vancouver Canucks Discussion Thread***

With Gomez expected to be bought out shortly, I wonder if the Canucks would be interested in shooting him off a low salary contract...Could maybe be a solution to their current injury woes. Plus Gomez is already getting paid big this year so maybe he would want to sign cheap with a top contender like Vancouver.

Although AV said Canucks have no interest i going after him.

AV also made it sound like Schneider and Luongo would split duties for the Saturday/Sunday games. If Lu plays a game for Vancouver this year that would have beat my guess. Might be smart to keep him around for a little bit though as insurance...Granted I have full 100% faith in Schneiderman. But in a shortened season with a condensed schedule, having 2 elite goalies could be a blessing.
    Last edited by airjasper; 01-17-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    23-3 at Avatar/Sig/Self Ban

Canucks sign Edler for 6 yrs and 30 mil. Expensive but a good move. I suspect he could have got more elsewhere, and it will be interesting to see what this does for Subban.

Edler could have easily got over 6 if he tested free agency. The guy is a #1 d-man in this league. 5mil per year for 6 years is a great deal. I'm pumped for that one.

Gill really needed to get more realistic with what he expects in return and should have shipped Luongo out before the season started

Now we see Schneider struggle in his first game to the point where they had to put Bobby Lu in. Man, one more game like that and the fans could start getting nervous and begin clamoring for Luongo to stay and be the starter. If he was gone, they'd be more patient

The GM is kind of creating a mess right there
    Last edited by PatSox; 01-20-2013 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatSox View Post
    Gill really needed to get more realistic with what he expects in return and should have shipped Luongo out before the season started

Now we see Schneider struggle in his first game to the point where they had to put Bobby Lu in. Man, one more game like that and the fans could start getting nervous and begin clamoring for Luongo to stay and be the starter. If he was gone, they'd be more patient

The GM is kind of creating a mess right there
    You're probably right, but I'm not sure the first game of this season tells us that much. i'm sure Schneider didn't just get exposed, I'm sure the Red wings aren't really that ****ty, and I'm pretty sure the Leafs won't go 48-0. Let's let everyone get a few games under them before making any conclusions.

Of course this is how a Canucks season would start...lol...This always happens year after year after year. I couldn't help but laugh that Schneiderman got pulled and Lu put in.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    You're probably right, but I'm not sure the first game of this season tells us that much. i'm sure Schneider didn't just get exposed, I'm sure the Red wings aren't really that ****ty, and I'm pretty sure the Leafs won't go 48-0. Let's let everyone get a few games under them before making any conclusions.
    Exactly. It's sh1tty, but that was the 1st exhibition game of the season. Too bad that sh1t counts....
    The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
    -- Camus

Point is, it needs to be VERY clear that Schneider is the man, and the fact the Luongo is still there and actually getting put in for Schneider? Regardless of what game it is, that's no damn good and asking for trouble

He should be gone already

Good start to the season. Nawt. Blowing a 2 goal lead to the Oilers is never good lol. Luongo played a pretty good game tonight. But man are they ever missing Kesler and even Booth. The Canucks essentially have the top line and that's about it for scoring right now.

Notorious for slow starts, but with a 48 game season they need to step it up soon. Can't really blame them for being sloppy at this point considering how the season was just thrust on everybody.

I am in agreement with Gillis right now for not just giving away Luongo. He is an all-star level goalie and some sort of quality player/prospect needs to be coming back. In a condensed season like this, having 2 elite goalies could really come in handy.

Having said that, there are some big holes right now that need to be filled. I'm curious to see how the next few weeks plays out.
    Last edited by airjasper; 01-21-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatSox View Post
    Point is, it needs to be VERY clear that Schneider is the man, and the fact the Luongo is still there and actually getting put in for Schneider? Regardless of what game it is, that's no damn good and asking for trouble

He should be gone already
    I give GMMG the lockout. Should've been done before that, or after. Certainly should've been done before game 1. Or, at the very least, Schneider should've gotten the Oil start regardless. Sigh. It is what it is. Luongo has a NTC and a stated preference to go to Fla. Fla really doesn't have any assets the Canucks want. Whaddyagonnado?

Gillis:
    “Roberto has a no-trade, so in discussions prior to the lockout, he had a say in where he was prepared to go. Once the lockout starts, you’re not permitted to even talk about player transactions, subject to huge fines and loss of draft picks. Then the lockout ends and suddenly, you’re trying to make a decision in four or five days about a premier player in this league, and it’s tough to make a trade of this magnitude in eight months, let alone four days. So we have him here, and we’re happy having him here.
    “There wasn’t really time to do anything but this. And we’re going to let it play out. Lots of stuff is going to happen here in the first month.”
    and
    “We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Like, how?

“Excess salary coming back with a [throw-in] player who can’t play in our lineup. They say, ‘OK, we’ll do this, but you’ve got to take this.’ Well, we’re not taking it. We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy.

“I’d rather keep the guy we know, who’s a good person.”
    Speculation on one Canucks board that the team in question is the Isles and the player is DiPietro (the only player with a worse contract than Luongo). Not that the Canucks will be getting Rick, mind you, but that NYI can't do sh1t till they deal with that albatross.
    The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.
    -- Camus

+ Reply to Thread