+ Reply to Thread
Page 991 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 491 891 941 981 989 990 991 992 993 1001 1041 1091 ... LastLast
Results 9,901 to 9,910 of 11891

Thread: Rate the last movie you saw with no spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Premier View Post
    Les Miserables

1/10

They sang throughout the whole f#cking movie.

God, I hate musicals. ..."we are having a tough time....lets sing about it!!!"
    unwashed cur.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/BOBOPLATA/moi_zps0d8ce89f.jpgEverybody know my gamey. Everytimey. I go for knockouty or submission.

Thank you for my fuzz.

Sexy Beast

This was an acclaimed film by some and was highly reccommended due to a good acting performance by Ben Kingsley. He plays a sociopathic London gangster who is sent to Spain to recruit Ray Winstone's character (War Zone, 44 inch chest, Nil by Mouth) to join up in a bank heist.

The film is not plot based, and is more of a drama that points out differences (and suggests similarities) in the psyches of both men; a bit of a two sides of the same coin theme. Winstone plays a happy fat, content gangster who wants nothing to do with the heist.

It contains some interesting cinematography/color choices/ and some bizzairre dream like sequences suggest a "monster within". Also contains a wierd role by Ian McShane (Al Swearingen of Deadwood), who again plays a gay/deeply dark/calculating gangster (as he did in 44 inch chest).

This film had promise, but really falls apart at the end. Winstone's character is interesting for about 15 minutes, and the conversations between him and the palpably furious Kingley character are interesting, but not enough to make me want to rewatch any aspects of this film.

2.5/5. Save yourself the pain and merely watch the first 30 minutes. Skip the heist and conclusion.

Exit Through the Gift Shop

Interesting doc that follows a French immigrant to LA who has a fetish for videotaping street art icons like Banksey. He winds up having his own art show after he reinvents himself as "Mr. Brainwash" and making $$. In showing us this transformation from poser video artist to overnight smash art success, the doc makes comments on the qualities of art itself, and of hype and marketing and social trends/gullibility; all of which are factors in Mr Brainwash's success.

An enjoyable and quick doc. 3/5.

Sexy Beast was good in the same sense the new (Pachino) Scarface is good: some juvanile, tough-guy, gangster jerk-off bullshjt with precious little redeeming plot or character development.

Looper - 8 of 10.

Solid. Being over-billed a bit. But solid. Some surprisingly rough (read: bad) special effects in a few places. The facial prosthetic or CGI applied to make the young looper resemble the old looper was a fun touch. Some of the time travel themes were fun, too, and let us play around in that what if world similar to 12 Monkies. The TK bit. The boy. Meh, I don't know guy . . . not a fan. And if things are so easily set askew with time travel, why send hundreds of your enemies back into the past where they could potentially alter YOUR present? Not a good M.O., IMO.

Battleship - 5.5 of 10.

Not great. Liam is ok. Rhianna is awful. The dude from John Mayer of Mars is mediocre. The CGI is pretty good, but the plot is vapid and silly, particularly toward the end when it gets all Expendables with the old Navy dudes and the museum boat and it . . . oh wow. Top Gun and Independence Day has a really messed up crack baby and this be that. Some people just don't deserve to conquer the Earth, ok? Yeesh.

As a movie I would rate this a 10, on par with the Godfather. Extremely well done, flawlessly and gracefully navigating many minefields. Of course, it helps that his subject was J. Edgar Hoover, revered by nobody except Lord Garth (I revere him a lot. Probably a little ahead of Reagan but below Patton). I, of course, would have preferred to see Hoover explain the communist menace a bit better, but this is the only movie I'm aware of that even acknowledges that soviets were ever a problem, so I was pleased with that. My jaw dropped when the movie basically began with the communists bombing Mitchell Palmer's residence, attempting to kill him and his children.

As a work of history it's passable too, although since Clint had no problem taking the liberty of assuming Hoover and his assistant were gay lovers (they probably were), I wish that he would have taken liberties to flesh out the truth about the communists. I know J. Edgar himself would have preferred the movie that way, and would have wrote a great diatribe for Leo.

Overall 8.

Killer Joe

A controversial nc17 film released in 2011/12. Emile Hirsch plays a ****up Dallas trailerdwelling guy who has gambling and drug debts. He comes up with the idea of killing his mother for insurance $$. His father, a dimwitted weakwilled dolt, agrees with him. They hire Joe to do the job. Matt McConoughey plays Joe; a crooked Stetson and truckstop sunglass wearing Dallas cop who does contract kiling on the side. Hirsch works out a deal with Joe whereby Joe gets to have sex with Hirsch's 12 year old sister as prepayment. As one would imagine, bad things happen as we watch this trainwreck take shape.

This film was highly criticized for its controversial subject manner. It does contain some violence and fullfrontal nudity. It also has a scene where a beaten woman is forced to fellate a KCF drumstick.

While it may sound like much of the above is just merely attention grubbing, it actually is not. This film held many tribute elements to dark, dark American Noir; albeit with a PWT twist. I thought it was a bit like Real Bad Things....but far, far more dark. It contains many scenes shot in rainy dark night situations and has landscape shots and thunder shots. It also contains a pitbull who barks and doesn't bark in certain situations. I also like that they've named the dog Tebow; and he represents a bit of a 'moral' overseer. Also features a song by the Reverend Horton Heat, so I had to take at least a passing interest.

I also liked how the film was shot using abondoned and sparsely populated, run-down seedy locations. This furthers the "underbelly" illustrations of the way these people live. Two early meeting scenes with Hirsch and Joe are shot at an abondoned poolhall and an abandoned Wooden Rollercoaster and have obvious symbolic meanings.

There is an intersting plot twist as we watch the killing/insurance scam unfold. There is also much hidden in the family dynamics of Hirsch and his father and their 12 year old sister/daughter that they choose to whore out to Joe as payment. These hidden dynamics unfold as the trainwreck runs off the track to a violent conclusion that catches us a bit offguard.

I found this film interesting. It meshed elements of dark humor (at times so dark that it left you dumbfounded), along with a decent murder plot. It also handled thoroughly disgusting subject matter which was filmed in a way that makes one creep inside. It was refreshing to see McConoughey take on a dark role and escape from his usual mindless romcom fare. Nearly all characters were disturbing and unsympathetic.

By no means an uplifting film; and not a great film either. Still...3 days after viewing it, I find myself rethinking aspects of it. As such, I have to rate it reasonably strongly.

4/5.

Alex Cross 2/10 - I'm not sure where I got the 2 from.

James bond II flick/weak sauce. Chasing a bleach blond Anton Chigurh from

no country for old men in a London Subway, is in no way, the crescendo

to a Bond Movie. I need some Red Bull sky dive with a rocket type a'shlt.

Six out of ten.

Flight - waste of time out of 10
    ACTUALLY, PRETTY DAMN FUNNY

Quote Originally Posted by gtwinger View Post
    Alex Cross 2/10 - I'm not sure where I got the 2 from.
    You didnt like Madea gets a badge??!

Quote Originally Posted by sooner2 View Post
    Killer Joe

A controversial nc17 film released in 2011/12. Emile Hirsch plays a ****up Dallas trailerdwelling guy who has gambling and drug debts. He comes up with the idea of killing his mother for insurance $$. His father, a dimwitted weakwilled dolt, agrees with him. They hire Joe to do the job. Matt McConoughey plays Joe; a crooked Stetson and truckstop sunglass wearing Dallas cop who does contract kiling on the side. Hirsch works out a deal with Joe whereby Joe gets to have sex with Hirsch's 12 year old sister as prepayment. As one would imagine, bad things happen as we watch this trainwreck take shape.

This film was highly criticized for its controversial subject manner. It does contain some violence and fullfrontal nudity. It also has a scene where a beaten woman is forced to fellate a KCF drumstick.

While it may sound like much of the above is just merely attention grubbing, it actually is not. This film held many tribute elements to dark, dark American Noir; albeit with a PWT twist. I thought it was a bit like Real Bad Things....but far, far more dark. It contains many scenes shot in rainy dark night situations and has landscape shots and thunder shots. It also contains a pitbull who barks and doesn't bark in certain situations. I also like that they've named the dog Tebow; and he represents a bit of a 'moral' overseer. Also features a song by the Reverend Horton Heat, so I had to take at least a passing interest.

I also liked how the film was shot using abondoned and sparsely populated, run-down seedy locations. This furthers the "underbelly" illustrations of the way these people live. Two early meeting scenes with Hirsch and Joe are shot at an abondoned poolhall and an abandoned Wooden Rollercoaster and have obvious symbolic meanings.

There is an intersting plot twist as we watch the killing/insurance scam unfold. There is also much hidden in the family dynamics of Hirsch and his father and their 12 year old sister/daughter that they choose to whore out to Joe as payment. These hidden dynamics unfold as the trainwreck runs off the track to a violent conclusion that catches us a bit offguard.

I found this film interesting. It meshed elements of dark humor (at times so dark that it left you dumbfounded), along with a decent murder plot. It also handled thoroughly disgusting subject matter which was filmed in a way that makes one creep inside. It was refreshing to see McConoughey take on a dark role and escape from his usual mindless romcom fare. Nearly all characters were disturbing and unsympathetic.

By no means an uplifting film; and not a great film either. Still...3 days after viewing it, I find myself rethinking aspects of it. As such, I have to rate it reasonably strongly.

4/5.
    I need to watch this movie. Thanks for the breakdown.

STILL...100% Pure Hellbilly.
    American outlaw, since birth, till death.
    king of the derelicts
    i am honkey kong
    Abortion Inc.

+ Reply to Thread